Trip

cmjantje

Next year I want to make a trip with my wife to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and maybe China.

Anyone has the experience and what you need to visit these countries?

All help is welcome!

The best poster will be invited for a good dinner of his/her choice :jap:

Vietnam and China don't have visa on arrival.

The Lao PDR and Cambodia do.

I've been to all four countries without any problems.

Never took the wife, had it on good information there were already women there... B)

:unsure:Scea, you naughty boy!

:jap: Can you apply for the visas by post for China and Vietnam?

I got my Chinese visa from Blue Lens Travel in town and paid considerably over the odds. If I went again I'd probably just go to the Chinese Consulate in Chiang Mai and do it myself.

I got my Vietnamese visa at their embassy in Manila, also through a travel agent.

I believe it's possible to do some visas online now.

A good friend, aged 75, is currently travelling alone in Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam. He booked most of his flights and some of his accommodation online himself and sends his friends a regular newsletter regarding his activities.

Like myself he spends considerable time reading about future destinations in books and on the internet before departure and prepares accordingly.

I had plans to go to Central Asia next year, a long term goal, but my nephew will be in Sanya, Hainan, China in February as crew member in the Volvo round the World Yacht race so I may go there and possibly come back here overland via Hanoi.

Only joking about the ladies lannaman, but my Mrs is a real stay at home, the only time she even goes to Chiang Rai now is to pick me up from the airport.

I got my Chinese visa from Blue Lens Travel in town and paid considerably over the odds. If I went again I'd probably just go to the Chinese Consulate in Chiang Mai and do it myself.

I got my Vietnamese visa at their embassy in Manila, also through a travel agent.

I believe it's possible to do some visas online now.

A good friend, aged 75, is currently travelling alone in Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam. He booked most of his flights and some of his accommodation online himself and sends his friends a regular newsletter regarding his activities.

Like myself he spends considerable time reading about future destinations in books and on the internet before departure and prepares accordingly.

I had plans to go to Central Asia next year, a long term goal, but my nephew will be in Sanya, Hainan, China in February as crew member in the Volvo round the World Yacht race so I may go there and possibly come back here overland via Hanoi.

Only joking about the ladies lannaman, but my Mrs is a real stay at home, the only time she even goes to Chiang Rai now is to pick me up from the airport.

Better to have an 'er indooors than a gad-about gal!

I agree, Four Lens Travel is a mega rip-off outfit. They once quoted me 20,000 for services I got in Cmai for 3,900.

Thanks for the good travel advice. I'm going to tuck my teaching books away and go walk-about from Nov B) .

The Vietnam visa can partly be obtained on line but one still has to go to the Immigration section at the airport. All very painless, I did it last year. For my Chinese visa I went to the Embassy in Bangkok. It took a few days to process, uncertain if it can be done by post.

I just got back from driving to Luang Prabang in Laos via Chiang Khong. I've written a travelogue but it's very long. I'd be happy to email it yo anyone that sends me a PM with their address.

It is so easy I was amazed. The route is very rough in places though. Well worth it for the scenery alone I might add.

Cheers

When i started to look at travelling overseas i used TripAdvisor.

As you know they have a mountain of information.

I do not need any information myself, but i do recommend regularly to people to use TripAdvisor, because they have so many forums for the many countries around the world. :)

I just got back from driving to Luang Prabang in Laos via Chiang Khong. I've written a travelogue but it's very long. I'd be happy to email it yo anyone that sends me a PM with their address.

It is so easy I was amazed. The route is very rough in places though. Well worth it for the scenery alone I might add.

Cheers

I am really keen to do this. Hope to do it in November. I have tried to find info about crossing with the car in the north but what ever info I get it is alway contradictory. I am sure I read something in this forum before but cant track it down.