Mae Kampong Mountain Flies That Draw Blood

julesdick

On a couple of different occasions (last one a few days ago) I've been bitten by flies around the Mae Kampong area (where Flight of the Gibbon is). A small drop of blood appears after the bite. Then they itch like mad, fading over 2 or 3 days. I've been at other times of the year and had no problems at all.

One friend had about 10 of these bites on her legs a couple of years ago and still has the scars to this day but I think that was a rare reaction.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find mention via search.

We were out exploring the 1006, 1229, 1230, unknown, back to the 1317 this weekend, which is just south of the flight of the gibbon.

We explored a couple of waterfalls, swimming and hiking alongside the streams; all of us receiving bites that bleed for quite some time. The suspect flies looked like a common house fly, but only lighter in color and on the small side. Reminds me of what we call a black fly in north america, more so by the bite reaction. Of have heard the term citrus black fly but can not confirm this.

Don't scratch those bites with these blighters!

If you're talking about little tiny black things that fly, and you don't see them till it's too late, then I think I've got the info. I too had an experience with several other campers/hikers where we were bit, then pretty much only started keeping track after we noticed that the little f@#'s were leaving the tiniest pin-prick of blood and that the itching was quite serious. In Thai they call them koon (คุ่น), and my friend who has many Karen friends says that in their language they call them (maeng)jikkali (แมงจิ๊กกะลี). The Karen word, pronounced jee-gka-lee, is way more fun to say than the Thai one.

Haven't yet seen them here, but in Central America, they have something like what you are describing and they are referred to as "coffee flies". About the size of a gnat, often gone by the time you feel the first itch, and leave what looks like a pin-prick of blood - just a small dot. If you can avoid scratching for the first 30 minutes, they tend to go away, but the more you scratch, the worse they get. Most of the repellents will help beforehand, but there are only a few home remedies that offer relief once you have started scratching. Personally, I have had good luck with squeezing that first drop of blood out, wiping it off, then trying like hell to ignore it for the next half hour, which is much better than suffering through the next day or two if you give in and scratch.

This will probably offer little relief, but if it is the same critter, an entomologist I know told me that what they do is excrete a little bit of urine on you, which is highly acidic and causes the blood spot. The enzymes in the urine cause the itching. Morale of the story is that it's better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Haven't yet seen them here, but in Central America, they have something like what you are describing and they are referred to as "coffee flies". About the size of a gnat, often gone by the time you feel the first itch, and leave what looks like a pin-prick of blood - just a small dot. If you can avoid scratching for the first 30 minutes, they tend to go away, but the more you scratch, the worse they get. Most of the repellents will help beforehand, but there are only a few home remedies that offer relief once you have started scratching. Personally, I have had good luck with squeezing that first drop of blood out, wiping it off, then trying like hell to ignore it for the next half hour, which is much better than suffering through the next day or two if you give in and scratch.

This will probably offer little relief, but if it is the same critter, an entomologist I know told me that what they do is excrete a little bit of urine on you, which is highly acidic and causes the blood spot. The enzymes in the urine cause the itching. Morale of the story is that it's better to be pissed off than pissed on.

i love being pissed on but ill try your technique next time and report back. thanks everyone for info. googling blackflies shows how small they are - which matches those i managed to swat.