Muay Thai

Anyone learning Muay Thai right now or any time before?

What do you think, hard or easy?

Where did you learn?

Did it cost anything if so how much?

What do you like most or dislike most about it?

Thanks

Thaibebop

I learnt/practiced/fought Muay Thai from the age of 18/19 until I was 32 , a few years back.

It is hard, no doubt, otherwise it would be worthless.

I learnt in the Uk , under SitSiam, and in Thailand in the Payakaruun camp ( Sityodtong).

I can honestly say that it is the hardest sport to train in, even Western Boxing is less intense.

But it will gift you with wonderful tools and sense of mind , if you respect it's creed.

The thing I disliked most , particularly in Thailand, was the conditioning and stamina training. ( 5 mile runs ever morning, hour after hour of bag and pad work )

The thing I liked most was the discipline it instilled into you after only a few months of learning the art.

The cost in Thailand was a few thousand baht a month , in the UK about £5 a lesson.

The look on your opponent's face as you knee him in the ribs...priceless..... :o

Anyone learning Muay Thai right now or any time before?

What do you think, hard or easy?

Where did you learn?

Did it cost anything if so how much?

What do you like most or dislike most about it?

Thanks

Thaibebop

I learnt/practiced/fought Muay Thai from the age of 18/19 until I was 32 , a few years back.

It is hard, no doubt, otherwise it would be worthless.

I learnt in the Uk , under SitSiam, and in Thailand in the Payakaruun camp ( Sityodtong).

I can honestly say that it is the hardest sport to train in, even Western Boxing is less intense.

But it will gift you with wonderful tools and sense of mind , if you respect it's creed.

The thing I disliked most , particularly in Thailand, was the conditioning and stamina training. ( 5 mile runs ever morning, hour after hour of bag and pad work )

The thing I liked most was the discipline it instilled into you after only a few months of learning the art.

The cost in Thailand was a few thousand baht a month , in the UK about £5 a lesson.

The look on your opponent's face as you knee him in the ribs...priceless..... :o

Thanks for the info. I have an interest in learning Mauy Thai but have no idea what goes into training wise, so thanks.

Thai boxers generally start their Muay Thai training at a young age...often around 10 years old. They may have their first fight around that age as well. They generally retire in their twenties although a few continue into their thirties.

Their training is generally for six days a week (Sundays off) and consists of running, bag work, sparring, clinch work and other exercises both in the morning and late afternoon. You can usually find a local camp that is pretty cheap but chances are they won't be able to speak much English. International style camps speak English but are pricey. Good luck!

Thai boxers generally start their Muay Thai training at a young age...often around 10 years old. They may have their first fight around that age as well. They generally retire in their twenties although a few continue into their thirties.

Their training is generally for six days a week (Sundays off) and consists of running, bag work, sparring, clinch work and other exercises both in the morning and late afternoon. You can usually find a local camp that is pretty cheap but chances are they won't be able to speak much English. International style camps speak English but are pricey. Good luck!

Thanks. It will be awhile before I am in Bangkok and get to see real Muay Thai. All we have here is kickboxing. :o

Many folks will confuse Muay Thai with standard kickboxing. Muay Thai is a form of kickboxing but it also includes elbow strikes which are banned in standard kickboxing. The clinching element in Muay Thai is very distinct; it includes both standup grappling and throws. Often, boxers will sneak a kick in as they're throwing their opponent to the canvas. Modern Muay Thai lacks the groundfighting element so often seen in MMA competitions like the UFC. However, the old style called Muay Thai Boran (Ancient Muay Thai) is a complete system. It includes all the strikes, clinching and tricks of modern Muay Thai but it also includes locking, breaking and groundfighting. It's difficult to find a qualified teacher who can teach Muay Thai Boran these days. There are a few in Bangkok but they can be pricey.

Some boxing camps may allow you to train for free but how much they'll actually teach you can vary greatly. Most boxing camps have never trained many foreigners but if you approach them with an interest in Muay Thai, they may take you on for free or at least for a low fee. I would recommend finding a place where they will assign a trainer to work with you until you have mastered the basics and then perhaps you can find a more convenient facility to continue your training at. Good luck! :o

Many folks will confuse Muay Thai with standard kickboxing. Muay Thai is a form of kickboxing but it also includes elbow strikes which are banned in standard kickboxing. The clinching element in Muay Thai is very distinct; it includes both standup grappling and throws. Often, boxers will sneak a kick in as they're throwing their opponent to the canvas. Modern Muay Thai lacks the groundfighting element so often seen in MMA competitions like the UFC. However, the old style called Muay Thai Boran (Ancient Muay Thai) is a complete system. It includes all the strikes, clinching and tricks of modern Muay Thai but it also includes locking, breaking and groundfighting. It's difficult to find a qualified teacher who can teach Muay Thai Boran these days. There are a few in Bangkok but they can be pricey.

Some boxing camps may allow you to train for free but how much they'll actually teach you can vary greatly. Most boxing camps have never trained many foreigners but if you approach them with an interest in Muay Thai, they may take you on for free or at least for a low fee. I would recommend finding a place where they will assign a trainer to work with you until you have mastered the basics and then perhaps you can find a more convenient facility to continue your training at. Good luck! :o

Thanks again, great info! My father-in-law says that when I get to Bangkok I should train. He is a health nut and thinks it would be perfect for someone built like me.

Hi I just started thaiboxing one month ago. I do it at Carbin, supposed to be one of the best gyms in Netherland. It's very very hard and intense. I couldn't believe it that I was very tired after each training. I always had good stamina. Also the first training I had alot of pain in my muscles. I couldn't train for a week, but after a while you body will adjust to it. I still get small bruises and sometimes a pain in a part of my body cause of all the kicks and punches.

The training sessions at my gym are about 1.5 hours a day. One day we train kicks on each other (with pillows ofcourse), this is very intense you have keep kicking and you have no break at all. The only break we get is shadowbox for a few minutes every once and then. Its conditioning training. The the other days we train on punches and combinations also very intense. The last 2 days we spar against each other. This is very intense, because you fight 6 people and 3 minutes each. That is 18min of non stop fighting. Then after that you fight each fighter again one time for 3min, but not non stop. Just when it is your turn. The kicking day is the hardest and most demanding, but sparring is not a joke either. I learn full muay thai without the elbows. I have no idea how they train in Thailand

Right now I'm not sure if I want to continue. Money and health are the problems. But I'm very lazy and I cannot motivate myself to do 1.5hours of intense workout. Its not that I'm scared for the punches, kicks or the pain. Its just I cant be bothered, I already have a hard time to motivate myself for my study. Shall I still continue though?

Going off topic slightly I occasionally watch kickboxing on the TV here in the UK. I'm no expert but it does seem noticeable to me that the non-Thai kickboxers all seem to be boxers who've learnt to kick while the Thais use kicks as part of the package. Non-Thais seem to adopt the western boxing 'stance' and kick when they remember to whereas the Thais have that distinctive little 'dance' where their legs are part of their defence as well as their attack. Is this right or am I talking nonsense? :o

Going off topic slightly I occasionally watch kickboxing on the TV here in the UK. I'm no expert but it does seem noticeable to me that the non-Thai kickboxers all seem to be boxers who've learnt to kick while the Thais use kicks as part of the package. Non-Thais seem to adopt the western boxing 'stance' and kick when they remember to whereas the Thais have that distinctive little 'dance' where their legs are part of their defence as well as their attack. Is this right or am I talking nonsense?  :o

No, you are right on. That's just on of the differneces between them and why I would rather spend my time learning Muay Thai instead Kickboxing. Muay Thai is much more a military art and more pracitcal than kickboxing which is a sport.

Shall I still continue though?

Sure! As long as you don't get injured and can do the sport / art without it messing with your work/study etc , why not ?

On a sidenote , the reason I gave up was because of a lump I developed.

After one training session my left inside shin muscle felt more painful than usual.

A lump appeared after a few weeks and progressively grew bigger. I stopped training and by about 12 months it was the size of an egg!

It wasn't painful but was obviously a worry , eventually I went to the GP and he had never seen anything like it!

Within 48 hours I was admitted to the Nuffield Hospital on Oxford , one of the best in the world for limb problems. Even the top Surgeon in the Country had never seen a lump like it!

They scanned it and because of the obvious cancer possibilities , it was removed by a 2 hour op.

I have about 40 stitches in my lower left leg , and the tumour ( non cancerous Thank Buddha ) was a neuroma. The thing had nearly got hold of my Kneecap and if that had happened , I would probably have lost mobility in ,my left leg.

I know have full use of the leg but will never go back to Full Contact.

I have added a few pics of the scar I was left with.

I think I was unlucky and despite this incident I still have many fond memories of the sport.

This happened after nearly 12 years of regular training , I fought 25 times competitively and won about 70 % of those.

Here's the leg about 5 years after the Operation

:D

scar

:D:D:o

Edited by chonabot

I've never heard of anyone developing a lump like the one chonabot had. You have to take care when you train because you can cause damage to your shinbones of you're not careful. When you first start training, the shins will be VERY sore due to the thin skin and many nerve endings covering them. After kicking the bags (and your sparring partners) for a while you will desensitize the nerve endings and toughen the skin so it won't hurt so much. Some folks have tried using rolling pins/bottles on their shins to toughen them but this is not advisable. Regular training/conditioning is the best way to toughen the shins. I would start with a light/soft bag and gradually move up to heavier, harder bags as your shins become less sensitive.

With regards to the stamina part, Muay Thai is very demanding and I certainly don't go as many rounds as those boxers do. In Thailand, boxers start training when they're very young; often around the age of ten or even younger. Therefore, their bodies become used to the rigorous training and that carries on through puberty and into adulthood. These guys live, eat and breathe Muay Thai. The boxing camp becomes a second home where the coaches/trainers provide them with their basic needs. By the time they're 20, these guys are like Olympic athletes and have super hard shinbones. Very few foreigners get this kind of a head start which is why it's so difficult to keep up with the Thai guys during training. Just do what you can and never overdo it as that will make the recovery time even longer. Good luck! :o

Hey are you married chonabot? Do girls like hairy legs? My legs are like probally even more harrier then yours, should I shave it? I just don't want to to get stubles on my leg though

My wife has no complaints , she likes them better after the lump was removed.

I can send you a pic of the lump to stick on your leg if you like ?

ps Good luck with the Muay Thai and the girls...

:o

Edited by chonabot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sure! As long as you don't get injured and can do the sport / art without it messing with your work/study etc , why not ?

After one training session my left inside shin muscle felt more painful than usual.

A lump appeared after a few weeks and progressively grew bigger. I stopped training and by about 12 months it was the size of an egg!

It wasn't painful but was obviously a worry , eventually I went to the GP and he had never seen anything like it!

Within 48 hours I was admitted to the Nuffield Hospital on Oxford , one of the best in the world for limb problems. Even the top Surgeon in the Country had never seen a lump like it!

They scanned it and because of the obvious cancer possibilities , it was removed by a 2 hour op.

I have about 40 stitches in my lower left leg , and the tumour ( non cancerous Thank Buddha ) was a neuroma. The thing had nearly got hold of my Kneecap and if that had happened , I would probably have lost mobility in ,my left leg.

I think I was unlucky and despite this incident I still have many fond memories of the sport.

This happened after nearly 12 years of regular training , I fought 25 times competitively and won about 70 % of those.

scar

Hey I have a lump also on my kicking leg, due to a fight a had where i did a low kick to my opponent and we hit shins together. Im not sure it is as bad as yours but i am not sure what to do about it, it has been there about a month now, its not painful and it isnt that painfull right now its a bit bigger than a strepsil. Should i see the doctor about it, thai doctors usually arent that great in Chiang Mai maybe i should wait until i go to BKK next month? any advice on where to go?

ps I have sent you an email-hope you have time to answer :D

Hey everybody

I have already emailed a couple of people here about this but thought i would put a post up too. I was wondering if anybody knows of any cheap gyms, (and i mean cheap not like 30thou!!!people keep emailingme with these gyms!).

I cant find any cheap gyms online because of course they wouldnt be online. I was in a gym before that was 6,000bhat per month but now i am thinking about money as i want to stay and train here for a very long time.

I am fighting every month now and i have fought four times already. I train quite hard, my last gym i usually trained about four or five hours a day. I am looking for a mainly thai gym i dont really like the atmosphere that comes with training with a load of competitive falang men.

Oh yes and i am Female so it is more difficult to find a gym for me as most Thai wont take me seriously without even giving me a chance.

Any info would be great.

scar

Hey I have a lump also on my kicking leg, due to a fight a had where i did a low kick to my opponent and we hit shins together. Im not sure it is as bad as yours but i am not sure what to do about it, it has been there about a month now, its not painful and it isnt that painfull right now its a bit bigger than a strepsil. Should i see the doctor about it, thai doctors usually arent that great in Chiang Mai maybe i should wait until i go to BKK next month? any advice on where to go?

ps I have sent you an email-hope you have time to answer :D

Yes go and see the Doc str8 away. Mine didn't appear for a while and gradually got bigger.

I saw a doctor in the UK, I would ask on here as to who is a good Doctor with a speciality in limbs.

It probably is nothing, but you can't be too careful.

Chok Dee

If you like a to go to a thai boxing school i can recommend http://scorpion.digitallix.net

Scorpion Gym is owned by a Dutch girl called Rosalie.

Yvo

Hey

I was wodering if you have been to this gym and what it is like. I visited the webste but there are no pictures of it online and i have emailed the girl but she hasent replied to me yet. I woud like to go and see it but if its a gym catering for just for foreigners or the trainers and facilities arent great then it would be a waste of a trip. I was wondering if you could tell me about it pleeeease?

Thanks

Muay Thai, Anyone learning it now?

Call me "Chicken" , i don't want to be hurted :o (actaully i think martial art is interesting and useful)

Just went to the fitness last Sunday , there was a body comabat class ..The girl besides me was crazy with her steps .. i was worried to be kicked /punched by her .

BTW my steps were funny .. (hook hook punch punch kick..etc) .. but i shook my arse always..shame on me

do you think body combat can help me if i have to fight? :D

I guess not

(or it makes me get slimmer and run faster for escaping my enemy ) :D

Edited by BambinA

do you think body combat can help me if i have to fight? :o

(or it makes me get slimmer and run faster for escaping my enemy ) :D

Hurro :-)

It will probably help very slightly, as you will have some basic concept of stance and balance, but if you want to defend yourself, then most important thing is to be level headed; have some basic technique for attack/defense and not get scared.

Real training at Muay Thai involves actually hitting things and getting in the ring and sparring with someone who is unpredictable and moves around; body combat you are just throwing punches into space, without anyone telling you how to improve technique; concept of distance; appropriate attacks/counters; defensive footwork, anything.

So....treat body combat as a good way to get fit and then you can run away; do you need to be slimmer? I fink you look lovely as you are :-)

Can anyone give me a little info on their experiences as a newbee to Muay Thai? I'm just wondering how tolerant they are towards new guys as far as patience etc..

I live in Pattaya so I'm assuming that they would be very used to older falangs that are'nt in great shape and probably will appreciate the income.

All I want to do is learn the basics and gain the confidence of getting in there and hitting someone (sparring). I'm smart enough to know that I would probably never reach the physical level to be an actual fighter, I just want to train!

A little on my back ground:

I'm 40

I smoke (I know already that it's killing me and could never be a fighter!! ) Maybe boxing would motivate me to finally quit!

I work out hard with weights 4 to 6 days a week, and I've recently added cardio and bag work to try and raise my endurance.

Next month I plan on backing off the weights and using more body weight/ endurance training to start muay thai classes in feb.

I'm about 15 pounds over weight!! I plan to start eating cleaner TODAY!

What do you think??

Thanks

Edited by PattayaXpat

Can anyone give me a little info on their experiences as a newbee to Muay Thai? I'm just wondering how tolerant they are towards new guys as far as patience etc..

I live in Pattaya so I'm assuming that they would be very used to older falangs that are'nt in great shape and probably will appreciate the income.

All I want to do is learn the basics and gain the confidence of getting in there and hitting someone (sparring). I'm smart enough to know that I would probably never reach the physical level to be an actual fighter, I just want to train!

A little on my back ground:

I'm 40

I smoke (I know already that it's killing me and could never be a fighter!! ) Maybe boxing would motivate me to finally quit!

I work out hard with weights 4 to 6 days a week, and I've recently added cardio and bag work to try and raise my endurance.

Next month I plan on backing off the weights and using more body weight/ endurance training to start muay thai classes in feb.

I'm about 15 pounds over weight!! I plan to start eating cleaner TODAY!

What do you think??

Thanks

Yes loads of camps will take you.... they like to get the training fee.

You may not get the attention of what fighter get. but if you make friends with a pad man, and are paying....he is happy to get the regular fee, do you a few rounds on the pad, and on the bags. you will not train with the intensity of a fighter, nor do the running....but a good hour 3 times a week would be more than enough for you.

I seen some guys in their 50s come to Sityodtong camp outside pattaya, and get their hour in for 200 bhat....