Bar With 70'S Music

rvdk

I have been to the Rock Pub close to Phyathai, good music. Been to the Saxophone close to Victory Moment, good too. Been to Fat Guts in Thonglor, bit too small that place. Looking for a bar with music from Neil Young, Grateful Dead, a bit of rock bit of 70's, would be nice. Sick of Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga etc.

Long time that I did not go there, but Wong's -on Soi Sribumphen, off Sathorn- used to have one of the best music collections in Bangkok, much of it still on VCR. A nostalgia inducing bar, you can expect to spend the evening watching old Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan gigs.

Long time that I did not go there, but Wong's -on Soi Sribumphen, off Sathorn- used to have one of the best music collections in Bangkok, much of it still on VCR. A nostalgia inducing bar, you can expect to spend the evening watching old Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan gigs.

Wong died some time ago. RIP to him and his idiosyncratic little bar. I quite liked it. Word was that his brother took it over but I've not been in a long time.

Wong died some time ago. RIP to him and his idiosyncratic little bar. I quite liked it. Word was that his brother took it over but I've not been in a long time.

The bar is now run by his brother Sam, still worth a visit

• 3 weeks later...

Can any one post a Google Earth dot of this Wongs bar please?

Lets assume we are talking about the same place,

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/drink/story-wongs-place-bangkoks-favorite-dive-bar-723943

If so here is a map

post-39258-0-20728000-1323153947_thumb.j

Basically across the road from Lumpinee boxing stadium.

I seem to remember a while ago complaints about noise etc etc and trouble brewing, I dont know if this place is still open.

We play a bit of 70's stuff in our set. Classic Rock.....Floyd, Santana kinda stuff through the 80's to the present day

As of next week we'll be at the Imperial Queens Park Thur, Fri, Sat in either the Sundowner on the ground floor or, during the festive season, playing at the rooftop beer garden.

• 2 months later...

I like Check Inn but calling what they have a 'band' is a bit far fetched?! Really its just Filippino singers doing karaoke. But it sure does feel like you are going back to the 70s when you go in there!

I checked out the Imperial Queens Park. All Farang band of older guys who obviously know what they are doing. Actually I would say for the most part they were absolutely smokin'. They did a version of Black Magic Woman where the guitar player and drummer went to town displaying thier ability and it was pretty amazing, or so the 6 people in the bar thought anyway! There really is nothing like this anywhere else in Bangkok and how its not packed every night is criminal or perhaps its just criminally underpromoted. Well worth checking out IMO...... they seem to start early, around 730 and the early stuff is all the slow stuff but later in the night they get into the rock stuff which for me was MILES better.....

• 3 weeks later...

Stickman 2 - 3 weeks ago made a comment about the Filipino band.. one Middle European customer complained after an hour that the cabaret was a fake! They weren't real lady boys at all- but girls impersonating lady boys. Never heard the Karaoke critique before. but will checkout the Imperial Park guys.. and let you know if I bump into any other customers... Hotel Lobbies are a hard venue to attract regulars... except maybe with firemen evacuating guests ..;-) GKIN..... I heard that the Marriot group recently rejected the QPH as an acquisition target because the fire systems were almost non-existent... so hope the band dont get too hot. GKIN... if you like Rock - what time did you go to Checkinn... they get good also later in the evening. good posting guys

• 1 month later...

Gkin... totally agree about the band at IQP.. they are called Wildside.. and they are awesome. But last week I was there and there were only two people in the bar on a Sat night.(no reflection on the band - just a combination of location and limited advertising / signage. Soi22 foot traffic is a hard mix to get walk-ins. Put these guys in Sukhumvit / Silom rd and you would not move... I felt too guilty to leave.. If anyone wants TOP quality international standard Rock - any genre you have to visit the Sundowner's Bar Thur Fri Sat Nights. about 9-midnite. They also need to hit youtube if possible.... You should introduce yourselves to Steve on keyboard.. the band are very talented and we had one of them Steve (was to be more) - join in on the Blues Brothers Band .. can see the clip on Youtube.

BTW You also asked about the Blues Brothers night - you can find the clipls on Checkinn99 facebook. checkout the medley. and the Chicago song Do you know what time it is by Bernard ... Cheers

Chris