Bricked European Iphone 4

BlaMuek

Got given this recently, and really only want to turn it into an iTouche ... ie dont need to use the phone function. Does that still require jailbreaking??

I'm thinking about doing this myself, as the guy who gave it to me wasted 3 days of his life dicking around with the phone repair shops, with no joy.

Plenty of jailbrieaking turorials around, but what about just un-bricking the thing??

Go to a place where there are many phone shops like an entire floor of a mall. Usually there is "one guy" all the shop owners go to who does iPhone fixes.

I had one revived in Ubon that was declared un-revivable my online jailbreaking forums.

It is actually very hard to "brick" an iPhone. 99% of the times people think that they are bricked, they are actually just in DFU mode. If it is in DFU mode, iTunes will tell you it has found an iPhone in "recovery mode" and prompt you to restore it when you plug the phone in. In doing the restore, iTunes will update to the latest version of iOS 5 (5.0.1).

To answer your question - If you don't need to use it as a phone, then there's no real point in Jailbreaking it. (Besides, even if you do manage to Jailbreak it, you may still not be able to unlock it - that all depends on your Baseband, which will be update during the restore quite possibly rendering a software based carrier unlock impossible.)

Depending on what version of iOS is currently on it - i.e. if it is still on 4.3.3 - you might be able to restore to 5.0.1 it using a custom IPSW and unlock it using ultrasn0w or gevey, but that is beyond the scope of this forum. One of the best places for guides and tutorials is iClarified.