Train Service Between Pattaya And Bangkok

Asiantravel

It still runs but takes all day. I think you'd be better off on a bus. You could dismantle and reassemble your bike 100 times and still be there quicker than the train.

thanks very much. I just looked at the Thai railways website and it shows

the journey time as being four hours. That's not so bad compared to the bus?

http://www.railway.c...sp?lenguage=Eng

Edited by Asiantravel

the responses so far are no where near the truth

its a delightful service, reminiscent of a Michael Palin around the world trip with authentic,wooden slatted seats, brass fans and eccentric porters

i would however say this, when it gets near Bangkok, get off and use the bike or get a cab into the city

i say this because it stops almost every five minutes to pick up workers and schoolkids in the suburbs

so when the frequent stops start, stay on as long as you can tolerate it, then get off......

its an adventure that every one should take and takes around 2 hours to the favoured debarkation point

• Like 1

the responses so far are no where near the truth

its a delightful service, reminiscent of a Michael Palin around the world trip with authentic,wooden slatted seats, brass fans and eccentric porters

i would however say this, when it gets near Bangkok, get off and use the bike or get a cab into the city

i say this because it stops almost every five minutes to pick up workers and schoolkids in the suburbs

so when the frequent stops start, stay on as long as you can tolerate it, then get off......

its an adventure that every one should take and takes around 2 hours to the favoured debarkation point

Brilliant! sounds delightful.

thanks a lot I'm definitely taking it

Yes, take it and let us know how it went.

Timekeeper must be way off with his 2 hours as even the schedule says 4 hours and from memory it used to take a lot longer than that.

But if you're not in a hurry, what the heck!

Enjoy and report back.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by Mobi

Timekeeper must be way off with his 2 hours as even the schedule says 4 hours and from memory it used to take a lot longer than that.

Enjoy and report back.

from memory its 2-45pm at pattaya station and hulapong at 6.05pm

the two hours duration i mentioned is to the suburbs where i advised he get off the train and ride the bike to avoid it stopping every five minutes to pick up schoolkids and workers heading into the city

do try to keep up Mobi.......

• Like 1

Enjoy and report back.

the two hours duration i mentioned is to the suburbs where i advised he get off the train and ride the bike to avoid it stopping every five minutes to pick up schoolkids and workers heading into the city

actually I'm going to stay on until the end and then switch trains to go to Don Muang

and there are many of those leaving every 30 min up until 11 PM.

you can even get ordinary, express and rapid. giggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

Enjoy and report back.

Memory seems to be aging.

Years ago the train would leave Pattaya at 1.45 Pm and arrive in Hua lampong at 6.05 pm

The current timetable is 2.21 pm leaving Pattaya to arrive at Hua Lampong at 6.25 pm.

But maybe they just lie about their schedule to discourage travellers from taking the train whistling.gif

Enjoy and report back.

Well I'm not going to start www3 over this as the OP has advised he will be staying on to the end so we will find out how long it really takes.

But I still find it difficult to believe that the train would even reach the Bangkok suburbs in 2 hours - I would be quite surprised if it did.

And as for getting off and riding his bike - well I ask you? You can't really be serious - a farang riding a bike in Bangkok from somewhere way out in the boon docks?? Rather you than me Gunga Din.

And that other ideas of yours? get a cab? The whole purpose of the train trip is to avoid dismantling the bike, so what is he supposed to do with the bike? Prop it up on top of the gas cylinder in the boot?

Anyway, keep going with the amusing advice....All good for a Sunday night chuckle.

• Like 1

Enjoy and report back.

Well I'm not going to start www3 over this as the OP has advised he will be staying on to the end so we will find out how long it really takes.

But I still find it difficult to believe that the train would even reach the Bangkok suburbs in 2 hours - I would be quite surprised if it did.

And as for getting off and riding his bike - well I ask you? You can't really be serious - a farang riding a bike in Bangkok from somewhere way out in the boon docks?? Rather you than me Gunga Din.

And that other ideas of yours? get a cab? The whole purpose of the train trip is to avoid dismantling the bike, so what is he supposed to do with the bike? Prop it up on top of the gas cylinder in the boot?

Anyway, keep going with the amusing advice....All good for a Sunday night chuckle.

well it can't be as bad as the local trains in Mumbai...

while I was working there one Sunday morning I took it out to the suburbs just to see what the locals have to go through

every morning. now that was what you call basic and a very bone shaking experience

Edited by Asiantravel

Enjoy and report back.

i am pleased you enjoy my scribblings Mobi

i always enjoy your ramblings

they too are are always good for a chuckle especially the reports about your daily encounters with errant Fortuner drivers around the lake

however i need to gently remind you that it is actually Saturday night not Sunday night as you said in your last post

like i said before , try to keep up Mobi...........

Enjoy and report back.

they too are are always good for a chuckle especially the reports about your daily encounters with errant Fortuner drivers around the lake

however i need to gently remind you that it is actually Saturday night not Sunday night as you said in your last post

I'll still be chuckling come Sunday....

Enjoy and report back.

I'll still be chuckling come Sunday....

maybe one of these guys is you?

The Chuckle Brothers

chuckle_brothyers.jpg

I agree that it is a real gem of a train ride and one which may not be around too much longer in it's current form.

I've taken this route many, many times (did it last week) and the average time is about 4.5 - 5 hours, however I've known the train run terribly slowly in the past (7hrs being the worst).

For the record the train leaves Pattaya at 14.21 and (supposedly) arrives at 18.25.

Would suggest a 'crawl' is a better discription than run !

I'm not in any hurry !

If you're not in any hurry, go ahead and take the train. Read a book, listen to an audiobook or music along the way. I suspect most responders to your query really don't have SUCH critically important business in BKK that they simply must get there ASAP.

I've taken the train a couple of times just for the heck of it. It's a Thailand experience. :)

• Like 1

You can take it to the post office and mail it to Bangkok without taking it apart.

I find that very hard to believe? And why would I want to do that? Then I would have to go and buy a box or something

its true

i sent a motorcycle to Surin for less than 2000 baht insured

they just made me empty the tank and tagged it

it arrived 5 days later and was picked up at the recipients local post office on production of ID

you can send all sorts of things, fridge, washing machines etc etc

well it can't be as bad as the local trains in Mumbai...

while I was working there one Sunday morning I took it out to the suburbs just to see what the locals have to go through

every morning. now that was what you call basic and a very bone shaking experience

Could you actually see out the windows?

post-20091-0-14075500-1328516770_thumb.j

You can take it to the post office and mail it to Bangkok without taking it apart.

I find that very hard to believe? And why would I want to do that? Then I would have to go and buy a box or something

its true

i sent a motorcycle to Surin for less than 2000 baht insured

they just made me empty the tank and tagged it

it arrived 5 days later and was picked up at the recipients local post office on production of ID

you can send all sorts of things, fridge, washing machines etc etc

Why don't we just mail the train, then it would get there much more quickly and reliably.