Best Place To Rent A Car For A Month

HappyInCM

North Wheels, Avis seem to be popular trustworthy places. Are they the best places to rent long term as well?

I'm thinking I need a car but want to try renting one for a month or two to see what it would be like having a car here.

Was also thinking of trying both a civic and a camry to see which I like better.

Take a look at this place, I have no experience but did seem interesting...

http://expatautocm.com/home

I am pretty sure these cars have private plates so insurance will not cover them if they are hired.

Why do you think that ? Any insurance company will issue insurance for a private car and so long as it has been made clear that the car is used for rental business and the policy has 'hire insurance' endorsement then it has insurance. Once upon a time I had an old jeep for rent and I had that sort of insurance policy.

Take a look at this place, I have no experience but did seem interesting...

http://expatautocm.com/home

I am pretty sure these cars have private plates so insurance will not cover them if they are hired.

Why do you think that ? Any insurance company will issue insurance for a private car and so long as it has been made clear that the car is used for rental business and the policy has 'hire insurance' endorsement then it has insurance. Once upon a time I had an old jeep for rent and I had that sort of insurance policy.

how many have the correct plate and have a hire endorsement.

how many have the correct plate and have a hire endorsement.

I am not understanding what you mean by 'correct plates'. Look at the big rental companies cars (Hertz/Avis), you see that they have the same plates as regular cars (white background/black letters)

I used Avis CM for many years and then they started fobbing me off with some really bashed up vehicles, their prices increased substantially and their customer service became crap. Then I discovered Northern Wheels and I'm 100% happy, new vehicles, great service and one of the cheapest around.

I had a great experience with Avis once, and then the second time they wanted to charge me 10,000B because of some small scratch on the front lower bumper. Something you might do to your car if you parked it along a curb? Anyway, every car that's been driven has a scratch or two along the bumpers. That's what bumpers are for. I said, "this is normal wear and tear, like sitting in the seats," but they said, "you had an accident." My definition of "accident" is obviously different. After standing my ground a bit, they lowered it to 3000B and would not budge. I said, "you are willing to lose a customer for 3000B?" They said, "it's policy." I said, "was it policy to lower it from 10000B to 3000B because I complained?" They ofcourse did not like this question, didn't answer and charged my card. I have not gone back, instead using Hertz, who gave better service and where much less expensive. Beware, if someone nicks your bumper trying to park or whatever, you will pay at Avis. My theory is, they do this with people that took the minimum insurance. They ofcourse do not charge the expensive full coverage people, nor do they fix these little normal scratches when they happen.

Not 100% sure how their prices compare on rentals, as that isn't their main focus, but when/if you decide to buy a car I'm convinced Expat-Auto is the way to go. Had a friend buy a car from them, car is running great and the process was super easy. Had another friend buy a car from another used car dealer, and it literally caught on fire within a month.

I purchased a used car from expat auto one month ago. I know they rent cars also. It is operated by 2 english speaking expats. They were totally honest about everything regarding the car I purchased. All in all it was a great experience.

• 1 month later...

Northwheels has been good for a honda city for the month. The only thing about them is they don't have any new cars right now but they seem to mostly have relatively new ones.

Will try Hertz too as I want to rent a Camry for a few days at least.

thanks for the help.

I have just arranged hire with Avis for a Vios works out at 800B per day for 17 days or they do a deal for 16000b per month.Used them 6 times now first rate service.

PS I always take out the extra insurance 200b per day extra. Make sure you book through the Thai website not Avis international.

I used NorthWheels for a whole year and a half. I paid the deposit (5k baht) in cash. They wanted a credit card but I convinced them that I do not use a credit card and finally they agreed on the cash and provided me a receipt. I not only paid the 5k for deposit in cash but I also paid for the entire month upfront in cash. I rented monthly and paid every month for that year and a half in cash and paid well before the monthly rental was over for the previous month in order to renew for the upcoming month.

Everything was great until the year and a half ended and I wanted to stop renting as I had bought myself a car. I returned the car in excellent condition and without a scratch on it. When I asked for my 5k baht deposit they refused telling me that they had no record of it. I immediately went home, found my receipt that was signed by them, and returned 30 mins later. They still refused to return my deposit saying they had no record of it. My Thai wife was furious as she was with me the day I provided the deposit and also the day I was returning the car. I literally had to pry her away from the place as she was ready to physically tear into someone.

Basically I told NorthWheels to keep my deposit and that I would never do business with them again as well as tell anyone who I knew or met that they are cheats and never trust them. This has all been more than 3 years ago and since then I have had to rent a car twice due to accidents with my current car being in the garage and I can say I never rented with NorthWheels.... I'll let you decide for yourself but there are other places just as good or better.

I used pops when first arrived here. 800 a day for about 3 weeks. Had to negotiate strongly as they wanted 1200. Great service and no problems on return. They even took a copy of my passport instead of the original. Always bring your digital camera to the deal and before you take off, take pics of all sides. This way they know they are not going to pull any shenanigans upon return of vehicle.