New Requirement For Farang Bike Ownership

ClareQuilty

I've bought and sold quite a few bikes over the years here, and all I ever needed was my passport and work permit.

Now, in the last year here in Maha Sarakham, they're insisting on a 'letter confirming employment' from one's school. This is redundant of course since this is what the work permit is.

I'm wondering if others have faced this or if this is just something to do with a bad boss in the office here or something like that.

ClareQuilty wrote:

> Now, in the last year here in Maha Sarakham, they're insisting on a 'letter confirming employment' from one's school.

This can't be right. They need your passport and confirmation of address from Immigration.

But if they want such paper than there is little you can do i guess. Wrong or right doesn't matter if they don't trust the up-to-dateness of your work permit. We are the untrustworthy farangs sad.png

This can't be right. They need your passport and confirmation of address from Immigration.

Work Permit is taken as proof of address. Confirmation of address from your embassy or immigration is an alternative.

The OP has been asked for a letter from employer confirming his work permit is valid. No problem, but school bosses may be irritated by the extra paperwork.

I have purchased & sold a number of big bikes without a work permit as I do not work in Thailand. These transactions were also undertaken on a 30 day tourist visa as I'm only at home (BKK) for 28 days before going back to work for another 28.

It is a bit of stuffing around but it can be done.

The criteria/requirements that I used are as follows:

Passport with entry visa

Thai drivers & bike license

Copy of condo lease agreement

Letter of residency/occupancy in Thailand for your countries embassy.

The last requirement can sometimes be obtained from your local police station depending on how the desk clerk is feeling on that day but in most cases you will get the standard response "mai dai". I took all the above paperwork to my embassy and basically filled out a stat dec stating that I lived in Thailand and they put their stamp of approval on it.

The DLT were happy with all the documents I produced for the last two times I have dealt with them.

Hope this provides some assistance.

• Like 1

Guys, this was at the Thai 'DMV' - the place where you get the bike's ownership transferred into your name and the license tags brought up to date.

I never actually go there - it is the representative of the bike dealer that goes there for a small fee (or for free if you bought the bike from them). They were unable to transfer bikes I had purchased into my name because of this letter issue. I since procured such a letter, but when I suggested that they make a copy of the letter for each bike (I was buying several), they said it may be problematic and the government office may want a fresh letter for each bike!

I can say that securing even one such letter from school administration is difficult and unpleasant (the usual bureaucracy and anti-farang attitude), but securing several would annoy them to no end.

Guys, this was at the Thai 'DMV' - the place where you get the bike's ownership transferred into your name and the license tags brought up to date.

I never actually go there - it is the representative of the bike dealer that goes there for a small fee (or for free if you bought the bike from them). They were unable to transfer bikes I had purchased into my name because of this letter issue. I since procured such a letter, but when I suggested that they make a copy of the letter for each bike (I was buying several), they said it may be problematic and the government office may want a fresh letter for each bike!

I can say that securing even one such letter from school administration is difficult and unpleasant (the usual bureaucracy and anti-farang attitude), but securing several would annoy them to no end.

And why not get confirmation of address letter from Immigration or embassy? And why not simply stop buying so many bikes wink.png

Edited by wantan

I remember a friend living in Mahasarakham.

He went to renew his his first 1 yr license with a 5 yr license.

"Impossible. Cannot. Only Thais can get a five year license.I give you one year, that's it. you foreigner cannot." .

His friend had a 5 year and he knew it was well possible so he went off at him. Manager was called in and he backed up his Thai staff, 'Sorry. Cannot, impossible'.

He got it done in BKK on his next visit down and got them to phone the DoLT in Sarakham, then he went back there when he returned with his 5 year license being thrust in their face demanding answers and apologies.

'Oh, er, they said they sent the fax when the rules were changed but it never arrived'.

rolleyes.gif

Welcome to Thailand.

Edited by cbrer

"Impossible. Cannot. Only Thais can get a five year license.I give you one year, that's it. you foreigner cannot." .

His friend had a 5 year and he knew it was well possible so he went off at him. Manager was called in and he backed up his Thai staff, 'Sorry. Cannot, impossible'.

He got it done in BKK on his next visit down and got them to phone the DoLT in Sarakham, then he went back there when he returned with his 5 year license being thrust in their face demanding answers and apologies.

'Oh, er, they said they sent the fax when the rules were changed but it never arrived'.

rolleyes.gif

Welcome to Thailand.

I have just renewed my 5 year licences. I went to Nonthaburi Immigration to ask for a proof of address letter and was told by the girl on reception that their new manager had instructed them not to do this any more for farangs because farangs cause trouble in Thailand. I asked to see the supervisor, phoned Bangkok Immigration on my mobile and they told the supervisor she could issue the letter; she refused so I had to go and get confirmation from the robbers at the British Embassy. Bear in mind that I`m politeness itself when dealing with officialdom here, so this was petty Thai civil servants being awkward for the sake of it. For the licences I needed medical certificate from my GP - 50 BAHT, confirmation of address from embassy - lots of BAHTs, and expiring licences plus fee. I had to do the colour blind test again, braking, and depth perception. Didn`t have to watch the video again. In and out again with my new licences in 30 minutes and a breath of fresh air compared to the immigration office.

Mate.. I just through 2 yrs of waiting on an agent to make the green book transfer. After having some time up my sleeve whilst being at home (bangkok) i did it myself in an hr and a half with no hassles.

I dont work here so have no work permit and my propf of residency was from the embassy.. I spoke to one of the girls with a black shirt rather than the younger ones.. I had to get a receipt for the bike insurance from the second floor and take the bike into the workshop downstairs to check the engine and chassis nmbers but apart from that ot was fine.. The older girl gave the paperwork to a you ger girl to enter the information which the you ger one said the letter couldnt be used, the older girl replied quickly saying its from my embassy and ts fine to be used..

Maybe someone at the DMV is t quite understanding the rules r just plainly being a pain in the arse??

The older girl gave the paperwork to a you ger girl to enter the information which the you ger one said the letter couldnt be used, the older girl replied quickly saying its from my embassy and ts fine to be used..

Maybe someone at the DMV is t quite understanding the rules r just plainly being a pain in the arse??

As with most governmental offices in Thailand the officers dealing with people usually haven't a clue how to do their job - if their manager hasn't told them or trained them then they cannot ask due to face, are too lazy to learn and implement what they are taught, or won't do it due to their pettiness and deep lying resentment of you and they have the power to just say 'No'.

Thainess. sad.png

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 2

And why not get confirmation of address letter from Immigration or embassy? And why not simply stop buying so many bikes wink.png

And why not just go back to your own country - silly response!

R

rolleyes.gif

Welcome to Thailand.

Every Thai tin shed with a government badge on the front has different rules and regulations for the same things, all depending on what the boss has had for breakfast and if his wife/kids/mia noi/dog/ are giving him grief or not. it is one of the charms of a third-world country that has has replaced education with TV phones and motorbikes.

My first car licence was issued on Christmas day. The girl gave me 5 years right off and wished me a happy Christmas with a big grin. Up to them what they do, how they do it and when they feel like it. This is wonderful Thailand and it can work both ways - although mostly not in your favour.

Go to the next town. Different story again.

R

Edited by robsamui

The older girl gave the paperwork to a you ger girl to enter the information which the you ger one said the letter couldnt be used, the older girl replied quickly saying its from my embassy and ts fine to be used..

As with most governmental offices in Thailand the officers dealing with people usually haven't a clue how to do their job - if their manager hasn't told them or trained them then they cannot ask due to face, are too lazy to learn and implement what they are taught, or won't do it due to their pettiness and deep lying resentment of you and they have the power to just say 'No'.

Thainess. sad.png

Every day I have to deal with hotel and resort Staff on Samui. Every day I go to the front desk and say "my name is Robert and I have an appointment with your manager for 11 'clock." And every timer the girl asks me three questions right away.

1. What is your name?

2. Do you have an appointment?

3. What time is your appointment?

Sheesh! Trained monkeys.

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

Looks like you got either an official who was having a bad day or was in need of tea money.

Bought a dozen or so cars/bikes on Samui in the last ten years, the last one about 8 months back. Every time was the same:

Go to immigration with my work permit so they know I am a real live farang and live at a real address. Pay them 500B to write this on a piece of paper.

Go to Dpt of Land & Vehicles (whatever) with this and the necessary transfer forms/seller's ID or passport copy, plus vehicle.

Official looks at vehicle to see if it is the same colour as on the book.

Paperwork stamped and the transfer finished and done with.

Finished.

Deffo someone at your school has been making ripples - - - - farangs are good at that - - - better to get a proper job for a while so that you can continue to supplement your income by selling-on, buying back and selling on again teachers' scooters . . . a little bit of nous here and you'll be earning more than your 26,000B a month salary! Oh. You are already . . .

penguin-002.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

Friviolity apart, QuiltyClaire, sounds to me like someone in your local bike shed has piss*d off the DLV.

Maybe try a different local bike shed? Specially as you seem to be running a sound scooter sales and rental business . . .

(I began my stint in Thailand working for the biggest independent international school in BKK. The head of technology - been there three years - had nine bikes from scooters to choppers, in his case none of them registered or with papers, which he offered for 'sale' or monthly rent to each new year's income of farang teachers - then bought them back again at the end of the year and did it all over again. Splendid ruse! There was some American teacher doing this here on Samui over the last year, too. Buying a paperless runabout for 6,000 or 7,000 baht that will sell to the teacher for 10/12,000B and cost him/her maybe a few hundred baht in fines in a year and then gets either dumped or sold-on for 3,000B at the last minute is a bargain for the adventuring and itinerant teacher who is only going to be around for a few months anyway . . .)

penguin-002.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

Guys, here's an update - there is nothing wrong with the dealership I use - it is the biggest Honda dealer in the town, so that's not it.

However, as it turns out the government office was looking for a 'confirmation of address', not a confirmation of employment - but they couldn't explain it or thought that I could get such a confirmation of address from my employer (who of course known nothing about my personal address).

I have never, in all the years I've lived in Thailand, gotten a 'confirmation of address' - is that the 'tabien ban'? How would I get such a thing?