Which Are The Best Italian Food Restaurants In Chiang Mai?

rene123

I am not one for restaurant threads, BUT tongue.png Pedr makes a very good choice with Francescas. Problem possibly: you have to have wheels to get there. It is about 1km south of Mae Hia market on the east side of the road. Look for the "PIZZA" sign. For the rest, I have had both good and bad meals at all of those mentioned so far. The worst service was Antonio's; basically a managerial problem, the food was okay. The worst experience was at Billy's. Rotten food (You really don't want to know!) and service. Could have been a bad night. (An Italian restaurant named "Billy's ?! blink.png) In any case, Chiang Mai is truly blessed with decent Italian restaurants, many not yet mentioned! Go for it! Otherwise, judging from the comments so far, this is pretty much a budget crowd!

My exact thought on Billy's. Not an Italian name so immediately suspect (although I admit I have not been there and would not go there with that name).

Your loss bucko. So what if he is not Italian. He lived there for years and I think more importantly: the food is dam_n GOOD!!! And the service is really warm and friendly.

BTW some of the other restaurants you named as being good Italian places do not have Italian owners either.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy was Sergio's right hand man for many years - before he opened his own place - and Sergio is legendary around here for all the good Italian restaurants that he has owned. From the reviews on this thread, it seems that Billy was paying attention. I will have to give his place a try. thumbsup.gif

My exact thought on Billy's. Not an Italian name so immediately suspect (although I admit I have not been there and would not go there with that name). I have mixed

Coming from you, that's no surprise. Your loss. A number of other places in town with 'more Italian names' are owned and run by Thais 100%. Not "suspect" to you?

I think Billy is part Italian. I believe he told me that. He certainly does not look Burmese. He looks leuk kreung. Doesn't matter anyway. He lived in Italy and knows how to cook.

Edited by elektrified

I am not one for restaurant threads, BUT tongue.png Pedr makes a very good choice with Francescas. Problem possibly: you have to have wheels to get there. It is about 1km south of Mae Hia market on the east side of the road. Look for the "PIZZA" sign. For the rest, I have had both good and bad meals at all of those mentioned so far. The worst service was Antonio's; basically a managerial problem, the food was okay. The worst experience was at Billy's. Rotten food (You really don't want to know!) and service. Could have been a bad night. (An Italian restaurant named "Billy's ?! blink.png) In any case, Chiang Mai is truly blessed with decent Italian restaurants, many not yet mentioned! Go for it! Otherwise, judging from the comments so far, this is pretty much a budget crowd!

My exact thought on Billy's. Not an Italian name so immediately suspect (although I admit I have not been there and would not go there with that name).

Your loss bucko. So what if he is not Italian. He lived there for years and I think more importantly: the food is dam_n GOOD!!! And the service is really warm and friendly.

BTW some of the other restaurants you named as being good Italian places do not have Italian owners either.

Indeed. The service is very warm and friendly. Often when we go there, my kid will play with Billy's kid, Billy's wife will sit down with us for a while and talk, Billy will come out and talk, They are good people and they work dam_n hard.

The fact that the place is always packed with people, many Europeans, speaks volumes.

Well there seem to be a number of pitches at 'Billy's' ethnicity. To the best of my knowledge he is not mixed race but is 100% Chin (from the Western side of Burma). He learned to cook Italian food whilst working for Sergio when the latter owned Buonissimo (as did a number of his compatriots). He has a worked extremely hard to build his business up from a single shop house to his present location in Chez Gibus old place. Haute cuisine it isn't, but for good, no nonsense Italian food at very reasonable prices, it takes some beating. I agree with the vote for Steffano's. Girasole in the Olde town also has some good quality dishes.

Well there seem to be a number of pitches at 'Billy's' ethnicity. To the best of my knowledge he is not mixed race but is 100% Chin (from the Western side of Burma). He learned to cook Italian food whilst working for Sergio when the latter owned Buonissimo (as did a number of his compatriots). He has a worked extremely hard to build his business up from a single shop house to his present location in Chez Gibus old place. Haute cuisine it isn't, but for good, no nonsense Italian food at very reasonable prices, it takes some beating. I agree with the vote for Steffano's. Girasole in the Olde town also has some good quality dishes.

Good information. I do think that it is necessary, if cooking an ethnic food, to either be a part of that group or to have lived there for a long, long time (and be a good cook to boot). Speaking the language of the ethnic food is also a prerequisite, because language is important in food and vice versa. "Prego" is the only Italian restaurant I recommended with a non Italian owner/cook. And Prego's owner/chef (a Thai) lived in Florence for more than a decade and worked there in restaurants. He's good (as are his Thai dishes). The owner of "Why Not", I'm told, is either Italian or Swiss/Italian (southern Switzerland, Canton Ticino, is mostly Italian speaking). I have mixed feelings about that place; which has a delightful atmosphere. Billy's story is interesting. Maybe he should call his place "Billisimo" ( a play on the Italian "bella" meaning "beautiful" and also on "benissimo" meaning very, very good). Billy's doesn't cut it for an Italian place, but it is more understandable given the history above. I will, however, give his place a go after the recommendations here.

Stefano is Italian and speaks Italian and he is on site all the time. I've lived in Italy and his place is as good as many as I have been to in Rome (on the trattoria level at least). I believe that his family also owns the Gondola restaurant which no one here has mentioned (I've looked for it and have not been able to find it).

Where is Girasole located?

Edited by TheVicar

Girasole is in the old town on Ratchadamnoen rd, on a newish development with a communal courtyard in the middle. There's a Wawee coffee shop at the front of the complex (what's new?!) Girasole is just behind it. A bit pricy, but some nice dishes. UG may have a more detailed of the place than me. If I remember rightly it was one of his favourites for awhile.

Good information. I do think that it is necessary, if cooking an ethnic food, to either be a part of that group or to have lived there for a long, long time (and be a good cook to boot). Speaking the language of the ethnic food is also a prerequisite, because language is important in food and vice versa. "Prego" is the only Italian restaurant I recommended with a non Italian owner/cook. And Prego's owner/chef (a Thai) lived in Florence for more than a decade and worked there in restaurants. He's good (as are his Thai dishes). The owner of "Why Not", I'm told, is either Italian or Swiss/Italian (southern Switzerland, Canton Ticino, is mostly Italian speaking). I have mixed feelings about that place; which has a delightful atmosphere. Billy's story is interesting. Maybe he should call his place "Billisimo" ( a play on the Italian "bella" meaning "beautiful" and also on "benissimo" meaning very, very good). Billy's doesn't cut it for an Italian place, but it is more understandable given the history above. I will, however, give his place a go after the recommendations here.

Stefano is Italian and speaks Italian and he is on site all the time. I've lived in Italy and his place is as good as many as I have been to in Rome (on the trattoria level at least). I believe that his family also owns the Gondola restaurant which no one here has mentioned (I've looked for it and have not been able to find it).

Looking at Google for Girasole's location, it seems that the same family that owns Gondola/Steffano's owns Girasole as well as Pasta Paradise.

UG is correct on Gondola; it is closed. From an interview with the female owner (her husband is Stefano):

DG: I see that all your restaurant logos include the term “by La Gondola”. Can you explain this?

K.Jim: La Gondola was our flagship restaurant on the Ping river on the ground floor of the Rimping Condominium. We opened that about 10 years ago and ran it for 6 years. It was very successful at the time and was quite popular with both locals and tourists. Unfortunately our lease was not extended after 6 years so we had to move out. Nevertheless, the positive name recognition lived on and people were still talking about La Gondola long after we closed. Hence, we decided to keep the name as a kind of quality label for the other Italian restaurants which we would open up thereafter.

DG: Have you tried to move La Gondola to a different location?

K.Jim: Yes, we did, with mediocre success, though. The locations we had chosen could never live up to the original location on the Ping river. So we decided to give different names to our other restaurants and use “by La Gondola” only as a kind a quality label.

DG: Like at Girasole?

K.Jim: Right. We opened up Girasole about 4 years ago. It’s got a great location and upholds the same quality standards as in the original La Gondola.

Source: http://www.dininggui...h/label/Italian

I wish I had known this earlier! I've been driving around the city looking for Gondola!

PS. The whole interview I linked is well worth reading. Good job on the interview!

Edited by TheVicar

There is a great place called Fiore Rosa formerly in Bo Sang which has now moved to the Saraphi area on Suthep Rd. Italian guy Robby does all the cooking and the food is just great. Very reasonably priced and he always has interesting specials. A bit out of the city but worth it.

http://www.facebook....reRosaChiangmai

Thanks for that link. The pictures there look yummy! And goat meat (served N. African style!). Can you give me more info on the location (I'm not a facebook member)? I'll definitely go there since I love Italian food.

Looking at Google for Girasole's location, it seems that the same family that owns Gondola/Steffano's owns Girasole as well as Pasta Paradise.

UG is correct on Gondola; it is closed. From an interview with the female owner (her husband is Stefano):

DG: I see that all your restaurant logos include the term “by La Gondola”. Can you explain this?

K.Jim: La Gondola was our flagship restaurant on the Ping river on the ground floor of the Rimping Condominium. We opened that about 10 years ago and ran it for 6 years. It was very successful at the time and was quite popular with both locals and tourists. Unfortunately our lease was not extended after 6 years so we had to move out. Nevertheless, the positive name recognition lived on and people were still talking about La Gondola long after we closed. Hence, we decided to keep the name as a kind of quality label for the other Italian restaurants which we would open up thereafter.

DG: Have you tried to move La Gondola to a different location?

K.Jim: Yes, we did, with mediocre success, though. The locations we had chosen could never live up to the original location on the Ping river. So we decided to give different names to our other restaurants and use “by La Gondola” only as a kind a quality label.

DG: Like at Girasole?

K.Jim: Right. We opened up Girasole about 4 years ago. It’s got a great location and upholds the same quality standards as in the original La Gondola.

Source: http://www.dininggui...h/label/Italian

I wish I had known this earlier! I've been driving around the city looking for Gondola!

PS. The whole interview I linked is well worth reading. Good job on the interview!

Girasole is really delicious. Thais love the food there too.

The place that "smoguy" posted about looks very interesting. Check out their facebook site. The photos look amazing. Not many places serving goat I would imagine. Anybody know where the new location is? Facebook only shows the old location.

The facebook page is correct. It is the right location.. No idea why smoguy said suthep road and sarapi, must be confusing it with another place i think. We enjoyed our visits to this place. Not sure its worth the drive if you are in town but a nice place if you are local..

• 1 month later...

There is a great place called Fiore Rosa formerly in Bo Sang which has now moved to the Saraphi area on Suthep Rd. Italian guy Robby does all the cooking and the food is just great. Very reasonably priced and he always has interesting specials. A bit out of the city but worth it.

http://www.facebook....reRosaChiangmai

Thanks for that link. The pictures there look yummy! And goat meat (served N. African style!). Can you give me more info on the location (I'm not a facebook member)? I'll definitely go there since I love Italian food.

Directions to Fiore Rosa:

When on the 118 (Chiang Mai - Doi Saket Road) drive direction Doi Saket. Straight on at the intersection of the nr. 121 (outer ringroad) and 118 roads. Approximately 3 -4 kms further you'll see a foot bridge over the road, just keep going straight here. After this footbridge take the second U-turn. Then after 200 - 500 meter (haven't checked this yet) you'll see on your left two white street signs with written in Thai (black letters) the name of a village and the name of a temple. Just after this there's a soi. Turn left into this soi. (There's a small banner of Fiore Rosa on the corner here). Follow this winding soi for approx. 1 1/2 kms through a village and pass a temple on your left, then out into rice fields, till you'll see the Fiore Rosa sign board on your left. After dark it's light a huge bright light in the darkness. There are some small banners long that way as well.

Turn left at this signboard, through a gate, and it's the first big house on your left. Can't miss it.

Bon appetit! :)

I could eat anything and everything I wanted, but now ... I've noticed a few extra pounds that I don't need.

Eat (almost) All You Want and then .... Bootcamp yeeeeehhhhh w00t.gif

That is why I've taken to hiking up Doi Sutthep trails each week.

I forgot that I had started this topic a few months ago. I've recently tried the "Why Not" restaurant off Nimmenhaemen and was pleasantly surprised. I've tried their pizza (which I don't call Italian food) and their lasagna. Both were excellent and reasonably priced.

Yummy Pizza, especially if you're partial to a slightly thicker and firmer New York style crust on your 'za. Also, I play guitar there with the musos most Wednesday nights so I might be biased. I love their new tapas menu. That's a spicy meat-a-ball!

Bit of a trek for the inner city dwellers - just north of the Night Safari/Canal road intersection - look for the golf range sign. Nice breezy open air atmosphere.

I don't question that Billy's is good or good value, but it is certainly not the best Italian food in CM. If you really mean the best Italian food in CM (not the best value or the most food for your money) then I would nominate two restaurants which don't even seem to be mentioned above. Neither is cheap, but quality and authenticity cost. One has been going for a while now, Favola in the Le Meriden hotel with an excellent Italian chef. The other is quite new. It is La Tavernetta on the top floor of the complex next to Kantary Hills on Nimmanhaemin Soi 12. The chef/owner is Italian and a real enthusiast for the tradition of Italian cuisine---I spent some time talking with him and his enthusiasm came over loud and clear. Most of the ingredients he uses are imported, particularly from Italy. He makes pasta fresh each day by hand, and you can taste this. Set menus are 1800B and 2000B and a la carte prices are generally comparable, but if you want to try really authentic Italain food, give it a try.

Edited by neilrob

• 10 months later...

Favola is my favorite. I understand they are coming out with a totally new menu this week and almost everything will be changed.

Not cheap but top quality, and if you live in Thailand you can get an Eat Drink & More card (annual fee about 5,000 thb I think) that gives you 35% discounts at most of the Starwood hotel restaurants all over Thailand, plus special coupons and deals on hotel rooms, along with a free night voucher.

They have monthly wine dinners also.

• 8 months later...

Ragu at Promenada. Nothing in town comes close.

i have to agree. after Ragu opened, every other Italian restaurant in town was left in the dust... Ragu. it is arguably the best Italian restaurant in town. quality, fresh ingredients, flavor, presentation, authenticity, serving size... fantastic restaurant. warning: you could get fat eating there often! i've never tried the dessert...too full after a meal! but it looks good.