Drug-Resistant Malaria In Thailand Threatens Deadly Global 'nightmare'

webfact

Drug-resistant malaria in Thailand threatens deadly global 'nightmare'

By Ian Williams, NBC News

MAE SOT, Thailand -- Clipboard in hand, Dr Francois Nosten worked his way down a ward of malaria patients. He stopped in front of five-year-old Ayemyint Than, who sat to attention and smiled. The smile told Nosten as much as his lines of graphs and figures.

"She's doing well," he said, moving to an older man, whose pale face and dull sunken eyes told a very different story. "Day five, and he's still positive?" he asked another of the doctors. "That's not very good. It means he was very slow to clear the parasite, no?"

To Nosten, it was further evidence of an alarming rise in resistance to artemisinin, currently the front-line drug in the treatment of malaria. He fears it could be the start of a global "nightmare" in which millions of people could lose their lives.

"We have to beat this resistance, win this race and eliminate the parasite before it’s too late. That's our challenge now," he said. [more...]

Full story: http://worldnews.nbc...lobal-nightmare

-- NBC News 2013-01-03

footer_n.gif

Too bad to hear this news for the first time. It seems that the newspaper didn't think it was important enough to do an article on this new malarial strain resistance in "northwestern Thailand" on the "porous border with Myanmar." It's good that this Dr. Nosten is on the case, but as long as the threat is not impacting tourism and only a small part of the immigrant population and some Thais, we can be sure that it will be invisible in the mainstream Thai media.

Noitom-dont be so critical-if you have read your news, you wood know it is months ago they told this-a storie,atleast 6,maby more month old.

A search on "malaria" on this news search engine only turns up this article and some comments on this article. So I don't know what you are referring to. If in fact they did something 6 months or so ago, then what happened to the follow up? If in fact they did write something about, then they may need a new search engine.

Artemisia leafs eating works much better then the expensive extract Artemisinin.

Stephen Rich, University of Massachusetts in Amherst in magazine: http://www.plosone.org/

They testing with mouse and have up to 40 times more Artemisinin in the blood.

Simple Phytotherapie vs. Hightech Schoolmedicine.

If anybody knows, where can buy, I want a few plants for the garden...smile.png

• Like 2

Artemisia leafs eating works much better then the expensive extract Artemisinin.

Stephen Rich, University of Massachusetts in Amherst in magazine: http://www.plosone.org/

No.

It is how the molecule is metabolized and it's 1.2 life characteristics, i.e. pharmacokinetics. Having a high concentration in the blood means nothing. You want the appropriate active molecule and you want it to remain active. The processing of the active ingredient delivers on the efficacy. It is really no different than if you wanted aspirin and then proceeeded to chew on the tree bark that was its natural origin. You would need to eat a lot of bark.

In any case, humans are not mice.

• Like 2

Noitom-dont be so critical-if you have read your news, you wood know it is months ago they told this-a storie,atleast 6,maby more month old.

A search on "malaria" on this news search engine only turns up this article and some comments on this article. So I don't know what you are referring to. If in fact they did something 6 months or so ago, then what happened to the follow up? If in fact they did write something about, then they may need a new search engine.

Go to the main forum, then do a search for resistant malaria. Quite a few hits.

• Like 2

I have been in Thailand for several years now and have been bitten by a mosquito maybe 2-3 times. I am one of those people who does not get bitten, so to me this is not so much of a worry directly, but of course it could end up turning into a huge disaster which would still affect my life and people I care about. We are due for a major culling anyway, the influenza virus mutates often and roughly every 90 or so years it mutates to cause a deadly epidemic. The last time this happened was the Spanish Flu, so whatever will be will be...

No idea, I also tried to aquire the plant Eurycoma longifolia or in Malay "Tongkat ali". The Dajaks on the island of Borneo eat the roots (Pasak akar bumi) as a prevention and to treat malaria. Probably we both have to go to a botanical garden to pinch some semen. This plant is prevalent in SEA.

More chance of being killed in a car accident.

Not true, actually recent findings show that 1.2 million die yearly, the same as car accidents. And this is before the resistant strain has become more common. Your inaccurate quote and attitude about his situation amazes me since the seriousness of this is no joke.

One child dies every monute from the disease. The idea of a non treatable form can be devastating.

I have been in Thailand for several years now and have been bitten by a mosquito maybe 2-3 times. I am one of those people who does not get bitten, so to me this is not so much of a worry directly, but of course it could end up turning into a huge disaster which would still affect my life and people I care about. We are due for a major culling anyway, the influenza virus mutates often and roughly every 90 or so years it mutates to cause a deadly epidemic. The last time this happened was the Spanish Flu, so whatever will be will be...

What a dumb statement. Whatever will be? When it's your child or family member dying from it, just tell them that on thier death bad.

Meanwhile others that care about people are doing whatever then can to help, even if it's donating to science.

Shooting's, rape's, mugging's, bar-fight's, street fight's, cat fight's & even STD"s & AID's haven't stopped the pissed up backpackers from coming.. why would the Thai media throw in stories of deadly "mozzies" as well.. that might just be the final straw...

Travel at your own peril !!

What a dumb statement. Whatever will be? When it's your child or family member dying from it, just tell them that on thier death bad.

Meanwhile others that care about people are doing whatever then can to help, even if it's donating to science.

I will repeat, whatever will be will be. It is something pretty much beyond my control and most of our control, why give such worry and suffering to something that A. has not happened yet, B. is out of your control and C. is not a sure thing? I have had loved ones die before so I am no stranger to death, it is just as much a part of life as breathing or being born is. What good is it going to do running around like headless chickens squabbling about what to do? if you have clarity and peace of mind, you can come to clear and direct decision making.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but my understanding is that some people have absolutely no reaction to mossie bites,unlike me. So it doesnt necessarily mean that people that think they dont get bitten are safe from any mossie borne disease any more than folks like me that itch

• Like 1

Diseases have a way of surviving. They are the politicians of the natural world if you like, sneaky, resourceful and just when you think you've nailed them they disappear only to reappear to haunt you again. There.... a bit of politics in a medical thread!

But any threat of a malaria resurgence should be treated extremely seriously.

Too bad to hear this news for the first time. It seems that the newspaper didn't think it was important enough to do an article on this new malarial strain resistance in "northwestern Thailand" on the "porous border with Myanmar." It's good that this Dr. Nosten is on the case, but as long as the threat is not impacting tourism and only a small part of the immigrant population and some Thais, we can be sure that it will be invisible in the mainstream Thai media.

"porous border" does thatmean the mozzies don't need passports

Interesting enough, most of the major research and funding for treatments come from foreign sources with the US government and Clinton & Gates foundations being the leaders. I can't wait for the US bashers to choke on that piece of info. The Chinese, Arab, Iranian and Russian governments contribute nothing to combat Thailand's malaria problem.

For the record, it was a Chinese researcher who discovered the anti-malarial, artemisinin, which has been so effective for a number of years.

For those of us lucky enough come from cultures underpinned by logic , critical thinking and thus somewhat uncommon 'common-sense'....prevention before cure.

Mosquitoes: full-length clothing, repellants, screens and nets.

Driving: don't drink, helmet, mirror-signal-manouver.

Dusky ladies: condom, limited cash in wallet.

Local food: well cooked and popular.

Local marriage: Don't get involved unless: money to burn, secure reserve funds for evac home/start-up, GPS chip in spouse, selective/under-presented ability to understand local language, bodyguard and kevlar and finally monthly ATM limit, NEVER assume and NEVER under-estimate local peer advice to truly 'muck-up' things.

Local investment: as local marriage.

Local beach parties: as marriage.

Local employment: as marriage

Local car/bike hire: as marriage

Basically take care of yourself.

You probably do get bitten but if you don't have a skin reaction you won't know about it.

Papaya leaf is a natural cure to treat malaria, (i don't know about this type of malaria) it is spread over the Internet but seems to be avoided becouse it is free available all over Thailand.

Edited by mau

Pretty alarmist headline really.. okay drug resistant malaria has been found in Thailand (actually 'slow to clear' was the synopsis).. but to suggest this, in itself, 'threatens a deadly global nightmare'.. how does that work exactly? Can you suddenly catch malaria from someone who picked it up on holiday, here? Does this Doctor's concern and 'advisory' - and yes it's good to be aware, especially for the scientific community to be aware! - mean a global pandemic of malaria about to spread from Asia? I don't think so! Get a grip, folks!!!

http://www.thaivisa....myanmar-border/

http://www.thaivisa....ia#entry5247638

Go to the main forum, then do a search for resistant malaria. Quite a few hits.

Your links to "drug-resistant malaria" back in April of 2012 did appear after using this syntax and going back to the main forum. The fact that these April 2012 article sources showed up with the proper syntax and proper page only illustrate the fact that the newspaper did not choose to take up the cause in following up on those stories back in April to demonstrate progress and criticality. So if the newspaper only deems this fit for a random story every 8-9 months, how important could it be?

Drug Resistant Malaria...I have heard this and read about this for ages

here in Southeast Asia and it is something to be very concerned about

and/or with. The main cause is twofold at the best...Firstly...illegal or

bootleg medicines made by dubious drug companies which do not

have the proper amount of the active ingredient in the tablet, capsule

or liquid for injection. Secondly...Rural people who contract malaria

and do not follow the proper course of treatment with either branded

anti-malarials or the bootleg stuff. When they feel better they return

to the fields or place of work but the parasite is still active within their

body and they can still be a source of infection to others.

The counterfeit medicine busines is huge and the average person

cannot tell the difference between the fake and the real. And in many

cases...neither can doctors.

The only true way to help rural people is with trained medical aid workers

armed with government provided (read; real) anti-malarial drugs and these

people must instruct a rural village medic on proper dosage and duration to

facilitate a proper "cure". Sometimes that isn't enough sadly. Travel to

a hospital can take hours or days depending on village location.

What Dr. Nosten talks about is very serious....indeed.

Here is some further reading for those interested....

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/counterfeit_drugs.html

http://www.mjhid.org/article/view/9952

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099%2812%2970237-2/fulltext

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099%2806%2970537-0/fulltext

this last Lancet article wants you to login or pay...just register & get the info.

I read an article in one of the English papers a few months ago, could have been the one that cannot be named, the article was about the parasite being found in the refugee camps up north as well as a number of cases in Cambodia and northern Myanmar.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

You're correct in stating this. If you go to the malaria research center in town (Chiang Mai) you can find the info on 2 types of NON-TREATABLE malaria strains. This was about 10-12 years back after a neighbor of mine succumbed to one of these malaria strains. He was (Thai) but working in Burma, had to escape from government forces, went through countless jungle and contracted this strain of malaria. I haven't followed up on this - has anyone else done recent research of malaria strains in the northern jungles?