Scooter Ownership License Ect.

ou812

Here are a few questions for expats.Do you have to be or have a retirement visa to get a thai drivers license?or purchase a scooter and get insurance? I want to buy a scooter to use when im in chaing mai and store it when im not.

you can get them all with a 30 day tourist visa, but what you need is proof of residency.

a letter of residency from immigration is what i had, but reading other threads they are not as easy to get anymore (do to the ongoing under-recourcing of the immigration office)

to get the letter, you basically need to present some proof that you live here, a rental agreement or a letter from the landlord where you live.

you will need 1 letter for the bike, and one for the license, they don't accept copies.

otherwise, use the search function, there a bazillion threads on how to transfer green-books and get a motorbike license.

The first question I was asked when renewing my license on Wednesday was ''Do you have a yearly visa'' I posted the attached on Wednesday which was given to me by the Land Transport Office. It does not mention tourist visas. Of course this is Thailand and maybe open to interpretation. It is also for a license renewal rather than issuing a new temporary license. May I suggest that before you waste time and money obtaining proof of residency and the medical required for a license that you go to the Land Transport Office on the Hangdong Road, on the left just before Big C leaving town, and go upstairs and ask. They will then tell you yes or no and what The requirements are, you can also get the form to fill in.

post-104371-0-03361500-1366938989_thumb.

Edited by Dellboy218