Musical Instruments For Purchase

JuiCy

Hello.

This is my first post. If it's not in the right place, I apologize.

I've been searching all over the web, forums, Google, etc. and can't seem to find my answer.

I'm probably coming to Thailand for an extended visit (2-3 months). I'm a musician and MUST have my keyboard/guitar to practice, record, and write.

I was thinking about shipping my gear over, but everything I've read about it spells an expensive disaster.

So are there any stores in Chiang Mai (where I'll be staying) that sell keyboards and guitars?

thanks

JuiCy

Edited by JuiCy

Yes, there are. I don't live in Chiang Mai (CM), so I'm not too familiar with what shops are where.

I do know there's a Yamaha shop in Airport Plaza (I've used that one, myself) and that has a few keyboards and guitars. There are several other music shops around town (I've noticed them as I've driven past) - nothing big, but they do have what you require.

Depending on WHEN you're coming over and IF you need more info, then I can probably find more exact info for you, if that's of any help. Let me know. Otherwise, maybe some other CM members can help you out.

Good luck

Cheers smile.png

If you go east on Chang Klan Rd, past all the Night Bazaar stuff - around 4/5 km on the left - there is a great music shop. Another one is located just before the AIA building (on your left) as you are driving from airport/immigration on the 1141 road. Quality instruments cost money here in Chiang Mai.

haha you guys are awesome! thanks so much for the responses.

Scooterboy. I'll be in touch close to November when I'm arriving.

I need a good keyboard with weighted keys, and a decent acoustic guitar.

I just brought back a new Martin from the US. Didn't have any problems with customs, but you never know. If the instruments are clearly used, you should be OK. Should....

If you are in Bangkok, quite a few good music stores there. I live in Pattaya, maybe about the same size as CM and the stores here are pretty minimal with regards to selection. And everywhere in Thailand, musical instruments are expensive.

I think this is better off in the Chiang Mai forum. Topic Moved.

Cool - so when we say expensive, what are we comparing to?

I don't have specific numbers, but I'd say a new guitar bought in the US will be around 1/3rd cheaper than if bought here. Maybe more, maybe less depending on the model. An older strat, for example, would be quite expensive here, but could be bought off Ebay or Craigslist much cheaper back in the US.

Another issue is the Chinese knockoffs. They look great and can be hard to tell apart from the original. But obviously, won't be the same.

I don't have specific numbers, but I'd say a new guitar bought in the US will be around 1/3rd cheaper than if bought here. Maybe more, maybe less depending on the model. An older strat, for example, would be quite expensive here, but could be bought off Ebay or Craigslist much cheaper back in the US.

Another issue is the Chinese knockoffs. They look great and can be hard to tell apart from the original. But obviously, won't be the same.

Okay, I'm mainly looking for acoustic stuff.

Okay, I'm mainly looking for acoustic stuff.

my friend just bought a knockoff Gibson J200. $400 versus $3,000 and up. It looks beautiful. I haven't played it yet so can't comment any further.

There are some excellent music shops in Chiang Mai selling top of the line acoustic guitars at 'fairly' reasonable prices. You'll find Martin, Gibson, Guild, Taylor, Yamaha, etc., in many different models. If you're a musician, you'll have no trouble finding the sound you're looking for.

There are some excellent music shops in Chiang Mai selling top of the line acoustic guitars at 'fairly' reasonable prices. You'll find Martin, Gibson, Guild, Taylor, Yamaha, etc., in many different models. If you're a musician, you'll have no trouble finding the sound you're looking for.

so what's a typical martin sell for?

so what's a typical martin sell for?

Three factors;

1. What is a 'typical' Martin? They produce over 180 different models, ranging from $300 USD to several thousand. Double-0? Triple-0? Signature model? Backpacker model?

2. Which shop will you buy from?

3. How good are your bargaining skills?

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, but there is just no way to answer your question.

• Like 1

Martins, like most other brands, have a wide variety of models. This site is great for musical instruments:

http://www.elderly.com/

The top end price is some $47,000. A vintage one.

Big problem I have with shops here in Thailand is the limited selection and high prices. Most musicians I know get their supplies from overseas when they or their friends travel there. I recently came back with strings and picks for some friends. The picks are not available in Thailand and the strings are double the price or more...and hard to find.

The attached pic is from Guitar Center's room for high end acoustics. The main room for acoustic guitars is about 4x that size. Amazing selection. And the staff are quite knowledgeable. I could spend all day in there...and have!

post-5869-0-14356600-1369357060_thumb.jp

martin here are not worth it at all due to the import tax. i was looking at the d18 retro, was quoted nearly 100k.

on a brighter side, i did scored a old yammie red label for 8k. alittle more pricier than what you would find but its in a good condition and the local luthiers here charge a very reasonable fee for repairs and setup. good professional work

I may be talking heresy here but perhaps bring a collapsible travel guitar. They have improved remarkably in last few years, plug in ear muffs and you can practice away to your hearts content and no complaints over noise from neighbors etc. My brother got me one a few years ago after he was sold on them after a discussion and play with some guy having his own world session in an airport departure lounge. Buy a good one in states and use it for years.

so i finally got an email response from the person at www.doremi-musicstore.com

I wrote:

do you sell hand made guitars? if so, how much?

Also, can you give me some prices on your regular acoustic guitars?

then they replied with:

Hi JC,

I asked my friend and he has hand made guitar from Australia which is only available for electric guitars. It starts from about 2500 USD. I will take 2-3 months to come to phuket.

Sorry we have no hand made acoustic guitar at our shop.

Regular guitar at our shop starts from 2200 baht (approximately 70 USD), or eg Yamaha F-310 is 3600 baht (excluding bag).

if I can get a decent acoustic guitar (just for general playing/open mic nights for less than 500US, I'm totally fine with this.

We have a small music shop here in Pattaya. An OK selection of instruments. They've got some nice Yamaha's there for about 12-14k Baht. I've played a few and they sound nice and play quite well. My problem is the same instrument in the US is 1/3rd less or more.

The last time I was at Kad Suan Kaew the guitar store (top floor) had Takamine and Ovation guitars as well as Yamaha. If you just want a kick around travel guitar I tried a TYMA and was pleasantly surprised. It was around the 5000 baht mark but on special for about 3500 baht. I didn't bargain at all because in my head it just seemed crazy that I was even buying a $120 AUD guitar. Back home it had always been hammered into me that the starting range for a kick around student guitar has to be at least $400 and that was how much my first Yamaha cost and I considered it a "let my drunk friends belt out on it" guitar.

I personally preferred the sound of the TYMA compared to the Yamaha or Epiphone in the same price range. I actually think it sounded better than my old $400 Yamaha but that got smashed at a party a long time ago so my memory of it's sound may have changed.

Everyone will have their preference though - I play more in the finger picking style so the TYMA sounded good and warm. I compared the sound to my Cole Clark that's back home which is 1700 AUD and had to admit that the TYMA is about 70% as good in sound quality. Having said that the Cole Clark is full wood and will continue to age well where as the TYMA I think not. But put it this way, I was fully intending to just get a cheap but "decent enough" guitar and then give it away when I finally leave but I like this one enough that I'm going to bring home.

Anyway, that guitar store is worth checking out. The one at airport plaza have a look at too.

The one down on Chang Klan Road isn't bad either but they had more electrics and none of their acoustics interested me. There is also one on the inside of the moat on Maneenoporat Road.

thanks to everyone for all the responses and support. one of the best forums, ever.

I'm thinking I will check with the airliner, and probably just buy an inexpensive guitar before I leave and bring it with me.