Luxury Cars Worth Bt100 Million Destroyed In Semi-Trailer Fire

webfact

Luxury cars worth Bt100 million destroyed in semi-trailer fire
KAWINTRA JAISEU
THE NATION

30207175-01_big.jpg

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- A semi-trailer transporting six luxury cars caught fire on the Mitraparp Highway in Nakhon Ratchasima early yesterday.

The fire destroyed one BMW, two Lamborghinis and a Mercedes Benz, causing damage of about Bt100 million. Police are probing the cause of fire. They were told the cars' gas tanks were full.

Following a report of the fire at 7.20am, Klang Dong police superintendent Pol Colonel Manote Kerdkwan and team went to inspect the scene at Mitraparp Highway's 39-kilometre marker and alerted fire engines.

Truck driver Ekkapat Wilamas, 37, told police he was driving the truck uphill with six luxury cars onboard the trailer - two Lamborghinis, one BMW and three Mercedes Benz - when other motorists started signalling him about the fire.

Pulling over, Ekkapat found the BMW, which was loaded last, on fire and flames quickly spread to the other vehicles. He was unable to put out the blaze.

The fire also damaged the truck's air-brake tubes causing several luxury cars to slide down off the trailer. Some plunged into a roadside ditch, while others blocked two outbound lanes of the highway, causing a traffic jam.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-30

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pakchong traffic stalled by burning Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley & BMW

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 30 May 2013 (NNT) – Traffic on the Mitraphap Rd. section in the resort district of Pak Chong, Nakhon Ratchasima grinded to a halt on Wednesday because 4 luxury cars were burning on a car transport trailer that was blocking the road.

Firefighters and volunteers tried to put out the fire, which started from a BMW and then spread to a Lamborghini, a Ferrari and then a Bentley. Despite their best efforts, the showpiece automobiles could not be saved.

The Lamborghini was the most expensive of the bunch, with an after-tariff price of around 40 million baht. The Ferrari had a price of about 30 million baht, the Bentley roughly 20 million baht, and the BMW about 10 million baht. Altogether the damage was estimated at 100 million baht.

Ekkaphan Wilamon, the trailer driver, said he found out about the fire when a truck driver driving in the opposition direction alerted him about the burning cargo.

The cars were being delivered to Sisaket province.

In addition to the scorching of the 4 dream machines, the incident also took a toll on commuters on the road, which links Bangkok with the Northeast; forcing traffic to come to a standstill for about an hour because the trailer with the burning cargo was blocking the entire road.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-30 footer_n.gif

looks more like a ferrari f430 in the rear not a second lambo...rear engine car so maybe hot exhaust and anchor straps = fire?

wow...just googled ferrari f430 fire for kicks...they seem to have a bit of bad luck with fires. LOL And while doing so I did see another article with better pics of the same accident and it was a Ferrari.

Edited by SlideRiceFC
  • Like 2

The article I read mentioned that several people motioned/yelled to the car-carrier driver that one of his truck brakes was overheating/smoking with the tire just starting to catch fire. By the time he stopped the fire had engulfed two or three of the cars. There are some fire pics on the interwebs.

If not an insurance job - maybe better to ship cars of this value individually in enclosed trailers?

post-9615-0-67253200-1369878571_thumb.jp

The article I read mentioned that several people motioned/yelled to the car-carrier driver that one of his truck brakes was overheating/smoking with the tire just starting to catch fire. By the time he stopped the fire had engulfed two or three of the cars. There are some fire pics on the interwebs.

If not an insurance job - maybe better to ship cars of this value individually in enclosed trailers?

So the transport company is on the hook. Good luck claiming insurance off that lot.

• Like 1

ouch, hope they have insurance. A couple of 16 yr old spoilt little rich kids might throw a tantrum at thier party when thier lamborghini doesn't turn up.

Something isn't right in this case.

I saw on thai TV this morning and from what i gather no one has claimed ownership of these cars.

Why would they be full of petrol and how can a fire start in one of them?

• Like 1

How does a car strapped to a truck in transport catch on fire?

If it was being driven would it still catch on fire?

Good question? Sparks flying up from some Thai trucking gear dragging on the road flying up and igniting some excess petrol spilled on the tires of the BMW? It's an every day occurrence to see dragging car and truck parts on Thai highways. Sparks flying, driver oblivious.

They use Lamborgini iron buffalo's in Sisaket these days ?

Rice mill owners according to another news article on here tongue.png

Getting 15k per ton of sneaky rice can net you a tidy profit. I have seen video of Cambodian rice being brought in by the boatloads.

However, I do think that the scenario of the truck tire catching fire is likely. Braking on the engine is not done here.

Anyone who has driven the Mittaprap knows what the hills are like. They are very hard on the brakes.

I am surprised the truckie did not do a runner.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

From the last picture posted, the trailer frame towards the front looks to be dragging on the ground.

It's not clearly visible from the picture, but I think that was after the tractor was disconnected from the trailer, and I doubt they took the time to do it properly with a trailer on fire.

• Like 1

They use Lamborgini iron buffalo's in Sisaket these days ?

Rice mill owners according to another news article on here tongue.png

If true that is simply too funny for words. So rumors of massive profits for the middle men in the rice scam are true !!! A pretty silly move , since with the rice scam unraveling at this point, if you made millions you should keep a low profile for a while. This is a bit like robbing a bank and then buying a Ferrari the next day...

I look forward to the owner being identified, but I suspect that will not happen.

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

looks more like a ferrari f430 in the rear not a second lambo...rear engine car so maybe hot exhaust and anchor straps = fire?

wow...just googled ferrari f430 fire for kicks...they seem to have a bit of bad luck with fires. LOL And while doing so I did see another article with better pics of the same accident and it was a Ferrari.

Wasn't a rear-engined one though, they don't exist, .