Teachers Hangouts?

lordsux

Hi All,

I will be coming back to Thailand very soon and hope to get some work teaching EFL. I have a few contacts already but I would like to meet some more people that work in the industry.

Where are the popular hangouts for all you BKK teachers? (I know anywhere that has a happy hour) :o, but I would like some more specific information. Are there any teachers social clubs/groups in Bangkok?

Where do you all go after a hard days work?

Hi All,

I will be coming back to Thailand very soon and hope to get some work teaching EFL. I have a few contacts already but I would like to meet some more people that work in the industry.

Where are the popular hangouts for all you BKK teachers? (I know anywhere that has a happy hour) :o, but I would like some more specific information. Are there any teachers social clubs/groups in Bangkok?

I thought that most teachers couldn't stand each other. :D

markuk, teaching four classes a day without air con, and walking around the classroom, is a hard day's work, maybe harder than the way you make a living. Then there were the days I commuted back home, 35 kilometers, in 43C/110F degree heat (on a motorbike), or in pouring rain. I was frazzled.

Anyway, I hadn't heard that there are that many specific watering holes for teachers. After all, BKK is huge; I doubt that Dallas or London has just a few such places.

In this information age, many of us communicate through the Net.

Hi All,

Hmmm....Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy. I'd imagine you'll meet plenty of Bangkok's educators there.

Hi All,

Hmmm....Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy. I'd imagine you'll meet plenty of Bangkok's educators there.

....indeed, if you can find them among the roughnecks, petroleum engineers, multinational executives, retired expatriates, ex-SAS, ex-CIA, etc., who have far more money to waste there, than teachers with proper credentials who only make 45,000 baht every month. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Just wander around Siam Square Skytrain station around 4 or 5 pm & follow any guy who looks like a teacher. They aren't hard to spot as they all look very same same. Avoid the ones who appear to be carrying a small transparent plastic bag with a box of Pad Thai contained within... as they are likley on their way back to their small room somewhere around Sukhumvit Soi 109. :o

Edited by a269652

Just wander around Siam Square Skytrain station around 4 or 5 pm & follow any guy who looks like a teacher. They aren't hard to spot as they all look very same same. Avoid the ones who appear to be carrying a small transparent plastic bag with a box of Pad Thai contained within... as they are likley on their way back to their small room somewhere around Sukhumvit Soi 109. :o

Life is a lot worse for many people. I will always remember Gregory, a young Russian my brother and I met in a Penang hostel on a visa run about 15 years ago. He told us, "I just don't know what I'm going to do." We told him to go to Bangkok and try to teach English. We then met him there about 6 years later. He was living in a tiny shoebox of a room in deep Sukhumvit and teaching some and studying at ABAC University. The last we heard from him was that he finally graduated with a business degree, fluent in English, Chinese and Thai. He had married a Thai woman and had a child. He returned to Moscow with his wife and child and landed a good job at a bank there. Some people make the best of adversity, buckle down and do something with there lives, and others just wander around with bags in there hands day after day. Everyone has choices in life.

Edited by mbkudu

markuk, teaching four classes a day without air con, and walking around the classroom, is a hard day's work, maybe harder than the way you make a living. Then there were the days I commuted back home, 35 kilometers, in 43C/110F degree heat (on a motorbike), or in pouring rain. I was frazzled.

typical teacher moaning about your conditions - its your choice and we all choose our own careers! You will not get any sympathy here... :o

Obviously different jobs have different challenges however i must say that in my opinion a career in the performance related commercial world is much more demanding and difficult than teaching.

the again how would i know - i will never be a teacher!!! i am too stupid....

Woodstock in NEP used to be the place but alas is long gone and even though its moved its lost its vibe!

I find that there are two different types of places which attract a different kind of teacher.

You tend to find a good few teachers in open air beer bars such as Cheap Charlies on Sukhumwit Soi 11 and also in the beer bars on Sukhumwit Soi 4 and soi 7.

These guys tend to be a decent bunch on the whole and although they put me off the idea of teaching in a shot, seem to be happy enough with their lot.

I've also come across quite a few teachers at places like the Londoner and the Dubliner etc but they seem ashamed of what they do, tend to try and dress like high flying executives and will tell you they do anything but teach English. These guys take themselves a bit too seriously and are best avoided.

as far away as possible from those of us who actually do a days work.... :D

typical teacher moaning about your conditions - its your choice and we all choose our own careers! You will not get any sympathy here... :D

Obviously different jobs have different challenges however i must say that in my opinion a career in the performance related commercial world is much more demanding and difficult than teaching.

the again how would i know - i will never be a teacher!!! i am too stupid....

Actually, markuk, teaching in Thailand resembles "a career in the performance related commercial world" if by that you mean being an entertainer. Not sexually, though. :D

I wasn't going to moan about the conditions, markuk, until you said that teachers were not those who 'actually do a day's work :D " Even then I wasn't just moaning (whining, whingeing, etc.), but describing a day's work. Pardon me for omitting a smiley: would that have been :D:D:o:D ? I easily tire of smileys that follow the incorrect impression that teachers don't work hard, aren't smart, don't teach, etc., etc. I'll bet that you've been in some vocations that had plenty of losers. I've only had about twenty vocations, three of them 'professional,' and teaching in Thailand ranks as HARD WORK. In my arrogant opinion. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Try Lumpini Park in Bangkok.

Enter the park and as soon as you enter, keep to the right and follow..................no I am joking.

There are no physical hang outs for teachers as far as I know, but there are plenty of cyber hang outs.

teaching in Thailand ranks as HARD WORK

A 15/20hr week, truely back breaking :o

It's unfortunate that the other 10-15 hours of shuffling papers in photocopiers, preparing lessons and dealing with admin sh!it is unpaid. Obviously you've never had a hand in it before. :D