Vorayuth hit-and-run case seen as reflection of inequality in Thailand

webfact

Hit-and-Run Case Seen as Reflection of Inequality in Thailand
By THOMAS FULLER

The New York Times

BANGKOK — The Bangkok policeman was fatally struck by a gray Ferrari, his body dragged down a darkened Bangkok street. In contrast to his sudden and brutal death 12 months ago, the Thai judicial process that has followed has been slow and labored.

After repeated postponements, Thai prosecutors said Monday that the man who has admitted to the hit and run, Vorayuth Yoovidhya, the grandson of the inventor of the Red Bull energy drink and the heir to one of Thailand’s greatest fortunes, failed to show up at an indictment hearing.

Prosecutors said they had dropped charges of speeding against him because the one-year statute of limitations runs out on Tuesday.

Mr. Vorayuth still faces two other charges, and prosecutors said they would issue a warrant for his arrest. But in a case that has been described as a test of whether the rich and influential in Thailand enjoy more leniency than others, critics say the system is so far coming up short.

Monday was the sixth time that Mr. Vorayuth failed to answer summonses at prosecutors’ offices.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/world/asia/wealthy-thai-fails-to-show-for-hearing-over-hit-and-run.html?_r=0

-- The New York Times 2013-09-03

related story:
Red Bull heir Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya pleads illness, evades prosecutor

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665341-red-bull-heir-vorayuth-boss-yoovidhya-pleads-illness-evades-prosecutor/

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday was the sixth time that Mr. Vorayuth failed to answer summonses at prosecutors’ offices.

Almost unbelievable.

A genuine product of the environment is the delightful Mr. Vorayuth.

I bet he fools some people with that enchanting smile of his too. "he's such a nice person" etc.

• Like 2

I hope that this being on the World Stage and reported in the New York Times will get the attention of the Tourists and Thai's and hurt their "Image" on a world class way. The only way is to get their attention is through their pockets and the tourist dollars in Thailand.

Hurt Thailand's image? Seriously! Just one ordinary cop (dead) and a rich tycoon's own grandson off the hook... who cares? Well, I care! This case has made me extremely bitter against rich Thais. I've boycotted Red Bull and I encourage others to do the same. I wish the police or mafia would do something to that ... how difficult could it be?

• Like 1

All red bull products should be shunned, the guy and his father who is shielding him no doubt, should be hounded wherever they go. There should be large public cursing rituals, and black magic mumbo jumbo to invoke the ghost of the murdered policeman to chase them.

• Like 2

As a foreigner, we can also talk about double standard, remember the young canadian Joel Del Pinto

who got shot by a drunken policeman. Well it just take 5 very long years to put the culprit in jail.

(well he was in fact already in jail for another crime)

Now that the speeding charge has been dropped, we can probably expect the following:

Since he was never convicted of speeding, he therefore was driving responsibly, and cannot not be convicted of a vehicular crime. It was just an unfortunate accident.

Only in Thailand, and every other country where the rich and powerful are treated differently than the masses.

I think why this case upsets people is that the guilt is basically established 100% , he was speeding, he killed an on duty officer, he may have been high on drugs too etcetc. and he is evading justice regardless. This is different to OJ etc. who did actually show up in court, and while most ppl think he did it, it was not a certainty unlike this hit&run story. This isn't legal loopholes the kid is using really, he is using the corruption and laxness of the system to get away with murder.

• Like 1

The other question that beckons: Vorayuth was released on bail. How the hell was he able to leave the country? Bail usually is tied to the condition that one is not allowed to go abroad, or that a court must issue a formal permit if such overseas travel should be absolutely necessary.

According to his lawyer, Vorayuth has "no intention to escape". That can only mean one thing: he will not return to Thailand anytime soon. Mark my words.

• Like 2

This story is making it’s way around the world press, I have read it on a couple of news sites now. It’s a shame that even then it won’t be enough of an embarrassment to the Thai Gov to step in and do something. Until the world shames Thailand enough to change it will never happen. Unfortunately the majority of the population in Thailand believe this is how things work and don’t know any different. The only way things will change from with in, is with better education and that will take generations.

Edited by Redhead27
  • Like 2

All red bull products should be shunned, the guy and his father who is shielding him no doubt, should be hounded wherever they go. There should be large public cursing rituals, and black magic mumbo jumbo to invoke the ghost of the murdered policeman to chase them.

Personally I do not know how to use Facebook but why do the young computer kids not get onto the social internet things and tell everyone - could even boycott the Red Bull product