Cost of shipping a motorbike from Krabi to Chiang Mai?

buddhaland

I may be moving to Chiang Mai from the Krabi area in April or May, and am wondering if it makes more sense expense-wise to ship my Yamaha Mio 125 up there - or go through the hassle of selling it here and replacing it there. I really like the bike - low mileage, good condition. Anyone had experience with these options?

Thanks!

The post office will send it.... Like very large parcel post. The issan girls use this service all the time when they need to 'relocate' their bikes to the village (after it has been 'stolen' ready for the next Farang sponsored purchase.

I digress. Apologies. Use to cost around 1000 baht a number of years ago.

• Like 1

You appear to be a tad of the mark there guys.

Just recently, about 2 months ago, shipped a honda wave from Phuket to Nahkon Sawan

using the post office, no problems arrived safely and the cost was 2,800 Baht. Just in case

you are wondering I was not involved only the wife ( Thai ). So possibly in the 3,000 Baht

range from Krabi to Chiang Mai I would guess? smile.png

Meh it was Bt.1200 when I last shipped a scooter..... eitherway it answers the OP's question does it not ?

Meh?

When did you last ship?

bout 18 months ago. Pattaya to Kamphaengphet.

You are aware that that distance is, I would think, less than half the distance from Krabi

to Chiang Mai? sad.png

Meh it was Bt.1200 when I last shipped a scooter..... eitherway it answers the OP's question does it not ?

Meh?

When did you last ship?

bout 18 months ago. Pattaya to Kamphaengphet.

You are aware that that distance is, I would think, less than half the distance from Krabi

to Chiang Mai? sad.png

I don't really care to be honest.

• Like 1

Note also that if you get it to the mainland, the trains ship cargo quite cheaply too, you don't need to accompany it, just a small per-day storage fee after 2-3 days, pick it up from the train station when you get up there.

Probably less man-handling as well, and they have bubble and plastic wrap will do it all for you for a little tip.

laugh.png Would this work back home i wonder?

"Hi, i wanna mail my scooter.. ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HC.png"

once again the proof that thailand is AHEAD of "back home" where everything (every single thing) is complicated and involves kafka administration, pockets full of cash and overworked ombudsmen...

I agree with that, when back in Australia, had trouble installing a software programme and had to get the computer taken back to 'factory settings/ 4 days and $450 later job done (also wallet). Just had a virus problem, got it fixed, plus updates of windows and new virus protection as the other one was a pain in a... cost 200 bht done in a couple of hours. So called professional charges are off the chart in Australia eg. doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc, forget the poor bastard trying to make a living and support a family.

• Like 2

Around two months ago I've sent Honda Ls-125cc from Chiang Mai to Pattaya/Chonburi. The cost at local post office, 1200Baht + 150Baht wrapping the entire thing. The price goes up if the bike is over 150CC, the form didn't say anything about bike's weight just engine size matters.

laugh.png Would this work back home i wonder?

"Hi, i wanna mail my scooter.. ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HC.png"

once again the proof that thailand is AHEAD of "back home" where everything (every single thing) is complicated and involves kafka administration, pockets full of cash and overworked ombudsmen...

Many things are much easier, but also remember that things can go wrong in an instant in Thailand. Road traffic accident for instance, not your fault, but it is because you are a foreigner. Someone injured you could go to prison. No one will help you as a foreigner, you pay big.

I actually have a friend going through all this at the moment. Not his fault, 160,000B to pay. Plus his own vehicle now wrecked, and the two losses together!

I got price for my wife only around one week ago, Buriram to Pattaya 2160B. Quite expensive I think.

I got the price via email, so they know it's a foreigner. Might be cheaper with a Thai to ask.

I hate this about Thailand. I don't live there any more by the way.

Edited by asian dragon

Drive your scooter to Chiang Mai. First you'll see how good it really is. Make a tour through Isaan as well and see the real Thailand.

Then you might decide to stay there with your scooter.-coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Last rainy season I took my Honda Wave 100 on bus from Surin to BKK with me for 700 Bht. Earlier I happened to take the same bike on bus between Chiang Khong (Chiang Rai province) and BKK for 1000 Bht. Using bus to ship a bike is probably the cheapest and the easiest way in case there is a direct route. The price is actually negotiable with bus driver / attendant. Come and ask short before departure. No papers required.

Sent my 300 SYM from Kho Samui to Pattaya. The shipping, packing and insurance was about 4,000 baht. It took 5 days and arrived with out a scratch. They said they would drain the gas before shipping but didn't. Took about 20 min in the Post Office. Bring all your bikes paperwork and your passport. Recommend taking pictures of your bike at the post office prior to packaging.

Don't send it by the post office. They kept mine for 2 months and drove it around a lot. It had a couple of thousand extra km on it when I finally received it.

You did not harass to sue them? By the way, make a ALL COVERED INSURANCE at the Post office! Some hundred Baht, worth it!

I read here on TV a thread about shipping a new BIG Bike 650 Thai-Versys KAWASAKI and that it was badly damaged.

So, I sent my old 400cc Honda CBR Sport Bike from Patong to Udon Thani city is heavy, 3.500? Baht and made First class insurance at the POST office also, 380 Baht, for 40,000 Baht insurance sum.

The moto arrived damaged, scratched and a big dent in the tank, the forks leaked, looked like she had fallen from a hight!

I got all damages paid and as I could paint it complete new, the bike looked even better than before! wink.png

But make the insurance!!!