Bangkok Police arrest 56 youths, impound 47 motorcycles

webfact

There are some right miserable curmugeons posting on this thread. If you wanted laws for this and laws for that, you should have stayed at home. Personally, i don't have much of a problem woth kids tweaking their mopeds and racing them for fun. Hell, boys have been doing its like since mankind first put an engine on wheels. Half the pop songs of our childhood were themed on the very topic...

Mopeds? They couldn't tweak a moped, unless they put racing pedals on it. They're high revving two strokes that these kids think make them into Leon Haslam or another racer. Perhaps that's the answer: get them onto a track, with the condition that if they're caught racing on a public road, they're banned from the track for a period of time.

And if you're so in favour of their illegal road racing, invite them around to your part of town - though I doubt many of your neighbours would share your enthusiasm.

They have introduced the hoon law in OZ, so all those bikes would be confiscated. End of story.coffee1.gif

Try reading the forum rules before posting baloney.

Anti hoon laws have been around for over 10 years. Are you from Adelaide? rolleyes.gif

Police arrest 56 youths, impound 47 motorcycles

How about CONFISCATING their motorcycles? That would hit them where it really hurts, in their wallets. Also fine (big fine) them and give them community service.

Impounding the motorcycles and a slap on the wrist fine will do nothing to stop these idiots. They will be back doing it again in a day or two.

"Reckless motorcycling and disregard for others safety" there would be thousands arrested if they applied that to the idiots who use the footpath/sidewalk for moving around.With this event it will be a 2000 baht fine paid for by mummy and daddy and boyracing again continues in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well if they took a leaf out of the UK legal book, they could copy the punishment the UK courts hand down for no tax or MOT on a car....... On top of a fine...It goes in the crusher...... Problem solved.

There are some right miserable curmugeons posting on this thread. If you wanted laws for this and laws for that, you should have stayed at home. Personally, i don't have much of a problem woth kids tweaking their mopeds and racing them for fun. Hell, boys have been doing its like since mankind first put an engine on wheels. Half the pop songs of our childhood were themed on the very topic...

Ah yes, let's encourage more driving scooters and small motorcycles the wrong way down major highways at 100km/h and see if you'll clean up the inevitable mess that such foolish behavior causes. Deaths and serious injuries, including permanent disability are often the end result of a night out that these idiots experience. I wonder how you would feel if some 16-year old goofball hit your car/truck at high speed...even in the unlikely event you and your vehicle stayed intact, that idiot would now be dead. I wonder if you'll still be spouting out the words "racing for fun" once that happens. And you can be quite sure that serious injury and death are very common amongst these racer kids. This is Thailand after all, a country with amongst the highest road toll in the world - and that's just taking into account normal everyday people driving irresponsibly, possibly drink driving etc. but add young, crazy motorcycle racers to the mix and it gets even worse. Hell, the same consequences can affect young racers in any country so what makes you think it's somewhat OK for kids to act like this here?

Too little, too late maybe.

In Bang Bon and Samut Sakhon these groups (gangs?) have been a danger and a nuisance for years. There are races taking place (I hesitate to say 'organized') right on the main highway with dozens of modified pickups and hundreds of motorcycles taking part. They always gather at the same service station (the one with the golden arches) and on the same night every week, but the police is apparently always efficiently misled and claims not to be able to find them. (It's on par with not been able to locate an open air rock concert next door.) There are plenty of emergency vehicles hanging about too as some of the riders always get hurt. On one occasion, a Songkran some years back, some of these p****s thought it funny to throw something in front my car. I thought they were still throwing water in the middle of the night, but for a second I could see a white and orange colored cat frozen in the headlights, then just a thump. A******s.

Congratulations for bonehead post of the day.

I take it you've never had these bratty <deleted> racing up and down near your place at 4am the day before an important day at work, early morning sticky appointment at Immigration etc. or if you've just got the kids to sleep. and they go farting by.

They were a plague around here Lat Krabang/King Kaew for a while as the ringleader was the nephew of some local Kamnan and people were afraid to act until they chose to use their starting post outside the house of the local Chief plod. After that they were soon rounded up as in the pic above.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

....and people hate farangs who go bare chested in the sunshine.

"It's so non Thai like" they say...coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

They're not shirtless by choice, it's a way the police use for temporarily identifying those that they have an interest in. Completely different from shirtless farangs.

How do they identify female offenders that they "have an interest in " ?

No idea how "they identify female offenders". Why?

Edited by MMarlow

The outcome will be 56x1,000 baht fine and send them on their way, seen that happened

many times before.... nothing new here, just a show and tell by the police...

Well if that's the fine for the offences that they've been charged with what's the problem? That's the procedure with any crime, get caught, get fined and on your way. No need to denegrate the police for doing a good job, nothing to do with show and tell unless you apply that description to every reported operation

Only one way imo. Fine is minimum Baht 10K or thirty days in jail; impound the bikes with a Baht 20K impound fee. If impound fee is not paid within thirty days auction the bikes off to highest bidder. As others here have said a Baht 1K fine is a joke.

Considering that this is Thailand, not the West, your suggestion is a joke too.

Mopeds? They couldn't tweak a moped, unless they put racing pedals on it. They're high revving two strokes that these kids think make them into Leon Haslam or another racer. Perhaps that's the answer: get them onto a track, with the condition that if they're caught racing on a public road, they're banned from the track for a period of time.

And if you're so in favour of their illegal road racing, invite them around to your part of town - though I doubt many of your neighbours would share your enthusiasm.

"They're high revving two strokes..."

No, they're 4 strokes.

They have introduced the hoon law in OZ, so all those bikes would be confiscated. End of story.coffee1.gif

Try reading the forum rules before posting baloney.

Anti hoon laws have been around for over 10 years. Are you from Adelaide? rolleyes.gif

"Try reading the forum rules before posting baloney."

I think it's you that needs to read the rules, they don't prohibit posting baloney. If they did this forum would have disappeared a long time ago.

"Reckless motorcycling and disregard for others safety" there would be thousands arrested if they applied that to the idiots who use the footpath/sidewalk for moving around.With this event it will be a 2000 baht fine paid for by mummy and daddy and boyracing again continues in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well if they took a leaf out of the UK legal book, they could copy the punishment the UK courts hand down for no tax or MOT on a car....... On top of a fine...It goes in the crusher...... Problem solved.

"On top of a fine...It goes in the crusher......"

Only if the recovery fee is not paid.