Thai army chief calls meeting of political rivals

webfact

It takes martial law to get these people in a room together and talking, what a bunch of little kids getting scolded by big daddy Prayuth.

I can only imagine the cringey wai they were all giving him as they entered the room.

• Like 1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The caretaker PM didn't show up at the meeting apparently wink.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yeah he is scared that the General has already fitted him for new shoes, one size fits all in that greyish cement colour.

If the coup is not a coup, the General should be protecting the cartaker leader.

But then the General couldn't give a toss.

This process is not about fairness; your on the Generals railroad and he is in control.

Its about being seen as doing something, positive or negative it doesn't really matter.

Well. Originally he wasn't invited. Maybe due to the fact he didn't turn up.

The idea WAS to protect him.. if he is not there he cannot be forced into actions he doesn't want!

Just a thought!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Even Korn, one of the more respectable Democrats openly admitted that in the last Election, where Yingluck and PTP won, the Democrats spent MORE in vote buying than PTP

Korn did not say that.

As it has been pointed out before, although political parties may declare what they spend on advertising and campaigning, it's ludicrous to think PTP would declare how much they spend on vote buying.

Not even Thaksin knows as he has no idea how much is skimmed off the top.

And you know that why? Can you show the interview were he said that, because I think I know where that third hand hearsay comes from and Korn didn't say what you claim, so really, you shouldn't be calling people morons over your non-existent facts.

On the effectiveness of vote-buying, lets look back to the 2007 election and this concession by former Finance Minister Korn made at the FCCT in 2008. Below is a rough summary:

Question by Jonathan Head of BBC to Korn: Why are the Democrats always unable to win more votes in the Northeast?

Answer by Korn: …I can tell you what is not the issue. People like to divide the camps into rural and urban. The majority of the southern voters are rural. The popularity of Thaksin in the Northeast and to a lesser degree in the North is undeniable. It is also undeniable that traditionally they have been less politically active then southerners. It is also undeniable that money politics is less prevalent in the South. We we have less money than PPP. However I agree with Chris [baker], money “is the price you pay to play the game but it doesn’t dictate whether you win or lose”. “If a candidate today in Loei runs under the Democrat banner for him to try to win he would need to spend two or three times more than his PPP opponent in order to win and even then he still might lose.

This is exactly what happened in the last election. A number of the old TRT MPs in the Northeast defected to the new party Puea Paendin and “they outspent PPP three to one and they still lost”. This goes along way to confirming what Chris said, but money is no longer determinative of your success. What Thaksin did was to make that connection and make it directly relevant to his target group. We are less afraid to compete against vote-buying than the buying of MPs. I still believe at the end of the day that if you sold your vote it is still your decision in the ballot box. However, it would be very ineffective for the Democrats to buy a Northeastern MP. Simply at the end of the day we cannot go against the will of the people and no amount of money will help.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/116697/vote-buying-thaksin-and-the-democrats/

In that article there is an audio mp3 which you can download of Korns words

Vote buying seems still to be done, but less because other methods are found to be more effective and more easily to hide. Like social pressure (red villages?), pressure within the patronage system, rewards after the 'right' way of voting, ridiculous election promises, etc., etc.

• Like 1

Once people are no longer paid to vote on one particular party, the elections should be respected by everyone for a 4 year period - if you vote on the opposition you must accept the outcome of the elections. As it is now and has been for a long time in Thailand, we know that paid to vote is the reason people can't accept the results.

Will you "vote buying" morons PLEASE give it a f'ing rest!!! First, vote buying has been going on by ALL parties since "democracy" was introduced to Thailand. That's a fact. Second, if you actually read more than comic books, you would be well aware that "vote buying" doesn't mean a damn thing. Even Korn, one of the more respectable Democrats openly admitted that in the last Election, where Yingluck and PTP won, the Democrats spent MORE in vote buying than PTP, and they still lost, and stated that vote buying has NO EFFECT on the outcome of the vote. People take the money, then vote for who they want anyway.

Try finding another dead horse to beat and bitch about.

And you know that why? Can you show the interview were he said that, because I think I know where that third hand hearsay comes from and Korn didn't say what you claim, so really, you shouldn't be calling people morons over your non-existent facts.

I hate to burst your bubble, but my 'non-existent facts" do exist in the form of a video interview he gave, IN ENGLISH, that both me and my wife watched together. If you want to know where, try a little research instead of always wanting people to just give you things so you don't have to expend any effort. Moron.

• Like 2

It takes martial law to get these people in a room together and talking, what a bunch of little kids getting scolded by big daddy Prayuth.

I can only imagine the cringey wai they were all giving him as they entered the room.

Indeed.

It had to be done.

Someone had to do it

Cometh the hour cometh Prayuth.

He seems to get the best of all worlds with this -

doesn't have the responsibility of running the country whilst clearly being in charge

can't really be blamed for anything going wrong

Gets to clip a few ears that have needed a good slap for a long time

Can shut down most of the negative propaganda

The rallies will soon figure out that they are pointless and go home

Once people are no longer paid to vote on one particular party, the elections should be respected by everyone for a 4 year period - if you vote on the opposition you must accept the outcome of the elections. As it is now and has been for a long time in Thailand, we know that paid to vote is the reason people can't accept the results.

Will you "vote buying" morons PLEASE give it a f'ing rest!!! First, vote buying has been going on by ALL parties since "democracy" was introduced to Thailand. That's a fact. Second, if you actually read more than comic books, you would be well aware that "vote buying" doesn't mean a damn thing. Even Korn, one of the more respectable Democrats openly admitted that in the last Election, where Yingluck and PTP won, the Democrats spent MORE in vote buying than PTP, and they still lost, and stated that vote buying has NO EFFECT on the outcome of the vote. People take the money, then vote for who they want anyway.

If as you claim vote buying has NO EFFECT why do any political parities do it?

Would you go out and spend a large amount of money and get nothing for it more than once?

Buying the vote of individuals probably has little effect, buying the Poo Yai however is different, the intimidation of the individuals starts right there.

Scrap the Poo Yai system as it stands at the moment, then you may see a change.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Even Korn, one of the more respectable Democrats openly admitted that in the last Election, where Yingluck and PTP won, the Democrats spent MORE in vote buying than PTP

Korn did not say that.

As it has been pointed out before, although political parties may declare what they spend on advertising and campaigning, it's ludicrous to think PTP would declare how much they spend on vote buying.

Not even Thaksin knows as he has no idea how much is skimmed off the top.

The PTP paid nothing on February 2 at our Amphur. It was CPP and BJP tat paid money in exchange for listed 2 hours. PTP really don't need to pay anything. BTW: The Democrats are known to pay money at political gathering such as they did always in the Bangkok slums.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Populist policies=vote buying;

eg. the disastrous rice scheme=vote buying (which all of us, even the farang amongst us, are paying for)

• Like 1

Would you go out and spend a large amount of money and get nothing for it more than once?

Buying the vote of individuals probably has little effect, buying the Poo Yai however is different, the intimidation of the individuals starts right there.

myth and legend... Dems spend more on buying votes than PTP = no effect and Korn confirms it

• Like 1

On the effectiveness of vote-buying, lets look back to the 2007 election and this concession by former Finance Minister Korn made at the FCCT in 2008. Below is a rough summary:

Question by Jonathan Head of BBC to Korn: Why are the Democrats always unable to win more votes in the Northeast?

Answer by Korn: …I can tell you what is not the issue. People like to divide the camps into rural and urban. The majority of the southern voters are rural. The popularity of Thaksin in the Northeast and to a lesser degree in the North is undeniable. It is also undeniable that traditionally they have been less politically active then southerners. It is also undeniable that money politics is less prevalent in the South. We we have less money than PPP. However I agree with Chris [baker], money “is the price you pay to play the game but it doesn’t dictate whether you win or lose”. “If a candidate today in Loei runs under the Democrat banner for him to try to win he would need to spend two or three times more than his PPP opponent in order to win and even then he still might lose.

This is exactly what happened in the last election. A number of the old TRT MPs in the Northeast defected to the new party Puea Paendin and “they outspent PPP three to one and they still lost”. This goes along way to confirming what Chris said, but money is no longer determinative of your success. What Thaksin did was to make that connection and make it directly relevant to his target group. We are less afraid to compete against vote-buying than the buying of MPs. I still believe at the end of the day that if you sold your vote it is still your decision in the ballot box. However, it would be very ineffective for the Democrats to buy a Northeastern MP. Simply at the end of the day we cannot go against the will of the people and no amount of money will help.

Vote buying seems still to be done, but less because other methods are found to be more effective and more easily to hide. Like social pressure (red villages?), pressure within the patronage system, rewards after the 'right' way of voting, ridiculous election promises, etc., etc.

All to be wiped clean by forced reforms eh rubl, though I would like to remind you that this thread is about "Thai Army Chief calls meeting of political rivals". Sorry, couldn't find a self satisfied smiley so this will have to do tuzki-bunny-emoticon-010.gif

The corruption of vote buying is that it makes political representatives dependant on the wealthy for money thus reducing the ability of the less well off to have their voices heard. The second element is that the funding is normally hidden and therefore the voters can not see clearly the policies and influences on those who they are voting for. The question of the effect on votes in part depends on the voting environment - where votes are cast in other than total privacy people can check that they are getting value for their bahts.

myth and legend... Dems spend more on buying votes than PTP = no effect and Korn confirms it

In the last ten years I have lived in four different Moo Bans in Isaan, had multiple relationships and talked with oodles of Thai people.

Your experience is?

All to be wiped clean by forced reforms eh rubl, though I would like to remind you that this thread is about "Thai Army Chief calls meeting of political rivals". Sorry, couldn't find a self satisfied smiley so this will have to do tuzki-bunny-emoticon-010.gif

You lost me there. All to be wiped clean by reforms? Surely you mean all was to be wiped clean by the Blanket Amnesty Bill?

BTW were you the one accusing me of putting in sneaky remarks before saying off topic?

Because they have always done it. And as for vote buying in the last election by PT? I think they where very carefull of doing anything outside the books. The proof is in that hardly any of them where banned, and PT is still a political party and their government is still in place despite 7 months of dirty play by the establishment. Despite bad choices in subsidising, and they are far from the only governments of this world that do mistakes, this PT government might have been the cleanest governments Thailand have had in modern times.

Sounds like he's trying to cram an appointed dictator down everyone's throat, and he didn't invite the caretaker PM? Now we know for sure bthis is a coup. he's going to say an election is not possible because this big army he called out cannot secure a few election venues from 'protesters'.

You clearly have very little understanding of politics and have failed to follow the worsening situation being generated by both political parties. From choice, the Army certainly does not want to be involved in this childish political crises, but someone has to bang the opposing forces heads together and tell them to start thinking of the Country and the People and not their selfish selves, as most politicians the World over tend to do. i would also caste a jaundiced eye at America offering advice, looking at their past history in resolving various conflicts, but I am sure they mean well. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end, but sadly I do not believe it is THE END. Not whilst certain factions have an ongoing influence and that corruption is erradicated in Thai Politics, probably through much more harsh sentences for vote rigging, corruption etc. We all wait with hopeful and baited breath.

I have been saying for some time that Thailand needs a hero to step up to the plate in the nation's hour of need. Could the general be that man?

Many years ago when the country was in a similar mess number one carpeted the leaders in public and metaphorically bashed their heads together. General Prayuth seems to taking a similar role.

Needs must when the devil drives..

• Like 1

"For the last election, it may be because we actually used more than them. Therefore, don’t talk about this issue anymore"

I guess you and your "Like" friends don't understand the difference between buying votes and spending money in an electoral campaign.

I'll ask again, where does Korn say "the Democrats spent MORE in vote buying than PTP"?

• Like 2

Korea faced similar challenges when changing the society from one influenced by military to one controlled by civilians. Thailand too will grow to require less 'assistance' from the green suits and more from officials that are held accountable for their actions and adherence to the rule of law that governs everyone in Thailand equally and fairly.

Its amazing.. some vote buying happened many years ago... some folks went to jail, the EC determined that it had no direct impact on the end results since the PT kicks the Dems asses every time. In all honesty, this stuff happens everywheres. Rarely do you see it impact results on a national election. Vote buying is just a Jargon for the Dems.

• Like 1

I have been saying for some time that Thailand needs a hero to step up to the plate in the nation's hour of need. Could the general be that man?

Many years ago when the country was in a similar mess number one carpeted the leaders in public and metaphorically bashed their heads together. General Prayuth seems to taking a similar role.

Needs must when the devil drives..

It would seem we need a 'Cincinnatus'

"His immediate resignation of his near-absolute authority with the end of the crisis has often been cited as an example of outstanding leadership, service to the greater good, civic virtue, lack of personal ambition and modesty. As a result, he has inspired a number of organizations and other entities, many of which are named in his honor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnatus

• Like 1

originally i didnt like the idea of the military stepping in, another coup (imho) would be counter productive. if he is sincere about getting everyone to talk it out and reach a compromise then i am happy ot admit my initial reaction was wrong. i echo the thoughts of others, its good to see an adult step in the room, i will hold my optimism on all accounts though...........

The way out of this mess:

Whoever is finally Placed as Prime Minister...

Should fill his Cabinet with the most qualified Persons from Both Parties! This would show that there is a willingness to work out any differences and issues in Party Politics. This has been done in American Cabinets and has worked well.

I can say this whoever does it first here in Thailand will gain support from the people as a whole! Probably would be the first P.M. to truely push for and use a Complete Democratic Party!

Red.... Yellow... Blue... Green... White... Doesn't matter when they work together... Rainbow Coal.....!

Edited by davidstipek

The way out of this mess:

Whoever is finally Placed as Prime Minister...

Should fill his Cabinet with the most qualified Persons from Both Parties! This would show that there is a willingness to work out any differences and issues in Party Politics. This has been done in American Cabinets and has worked well.

I can say this whoever does it first here in Thailand will gain support from the people as a whole! Probably would be the first P.M. to truely push for and use a Complete Democratic Party!

Red.... Yellow... Blue... Green... White... Doesn't matter when they work together... Rainbow Coal.....!

"Should fill his Cabinet with the most qualified Persons from Both Parties! "

That wouldn't fill a taxi, let alone a cabinet.