Thai taxi driver who gives free stuff tells his story

webfact

Taxi driver who gives free stuff tells his story
By Coconuts Bangkok

t-header_0.jpg
Photo: Kittiphun Khongsawatkiat

BANGKOK: -- From newspapers to snacks and coffee packets, the swag given away by the owner of a blue taxi was introduced to the public recently when a photo of his cab spread online.

A reporter tracked him down to share the compelling story of Narong Sairat, who uses his tips to give something back to his customers and brighten their days.

Sairat, 47, also known as "P' Hin Taxi," said it all started with one smile eight years ago, and ever since he’s festooned the inside of his car with a variety of candies, snacks and stuff people don’t know they might need.

“One day I drove past a guardhouse, and I gave the the security guard a candy,” Narong recalled the story. “I said to him 'Bro, take a candy. You’ll feel fresh!' That one sentence brought a big smile to his face."

Narong told Post Today he grew up poor in Surin province and did not have a chance to go to school, but learned to drive despite being illiterate.

"I had to try harder than other people. Back then I could not read or write," Narong said. "But I've always held on to my principle that a taxi driver can never run out of work if he is friendly, polite, and a good driver."

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/29/taxi-driver-who-gives-free-stuff-tells-his-story

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-29

Why not use his taxi? Some people here seem to never be happy at all.

I like his idea. One day i took a taxi into chinatown and the driver stopped, ordered some bags of deepfried banana's and gave one bag to me to snack on during the traffic jam. I liked it and tipped him double the amount of that bag of bananas. I still remember that taxi ride.

That TV screen seems to be taking up 50% of the driver's view. Nice idea pal, but how on earth do you see who's to your left?

Or if you hit somebody... it's here's a few sweets and a bottle of water.

Admire? yes.

Safe? Not on your nelly.

That TV screen seems to be taking up 50% of the driver's view. Nice idea pal, but how on earth do you see who's to your left?

Admire? yes.

Safe? Not on your nelly.

Perhaps you'd like to view the article from its source...

Admire? yes.

Safe? Not on your nelly.

The TV is behind him and for his clients.

A story like this makes me rethink my generalization that all Thais are corrupt farang exploiters...there is at least one unselfish person in this country...I think he is a happy camper...the joy of giving is truly liberating...

I was a taxi driver at 4 seasons..we were independent.

If You think candy is a good thing,take it.but don't think it's all altruistic.

I live very simply, off grid.

Everything one does comes back double,

In a taxi.

Captive audience of rich folks.

Aloha

A story like this makes me rethink my generalization that all Thais are corrupt farang exploiters...there is at least one unselfish person in this country...I think he is a happy camper...the joy of giving is truly liberating...

"the joy of giving is truly liberating"....Agree totally......It is Buddhism principle..and there is a lot more than one unselfish person in this country....

Actually rode in his cab several times really a joy to ride with even though traffic was bad where I needed to go he said no problem even helped me by telling where to get what I was looking for cheap. Well with all that I gave him a better tip than I normally do. Now this Man is a true Thai.

• 1 year later...

I got in a taxi once and it looked similar to this one!

Plastered all over with bank- notes, coins and toys.

At every stop, the driver would get his flute out and play a happy tune!

I found it to be charming and exotic... until I started to think about safety!

His windows were almost all dark by stuff, blocking the view...