TOT Darkside - out of action.

emilymat

Sorry to be a bore and raise this again.

I live out by the lake and have had no TOT phone line for 3 days at least. Curiously I still have internet connection, but another poster has kindly explained this is possible.

I reported the problem to TOT Bangkok (1100) and they said they knew about this and it was a big problem. Has anyone else on the dark side lost their phone line?. It's a bit irritating as I normally use it to ring the UK at the week-ends.

Thanks

Dear Emily.

why are you using a landline to call the UK. There are much more cheaper options and sometimes free.

Line

Vyper

All done through Internet.

I take your point, but it's an old habit of sitting in the armchair with an ordinary phone. Sad, isn't it.!

I've tried Skype but always seem to have problems. I've never heard of the other two!!

It only seems to cost be about 1-2 baht a minute on the landline and the signal is good.

I've just been watching an old episode of Inspector Morse. I guess I'm a bit like him - stuck in the past! sad.png

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

The same happens to me.

Starting with more interfirens on the phoneline every day until complete silence. Thought it was my phone ... by a new = the same.

Internet works, telephone to the technical office of Trang ... " Sorry your line was cut" ...next day everything ok ???????

smile.png

No problem, just trying to help.

1 or 2 baht per minute on a landline,,, are you sure?

Also are you paying line rental?

Just trying to help you save money

I appreciate your helpful reply.

I get my bills through CAT, not TOT. Once I've paid I throw the detailed breakdown away but keep the bill.

I've just checked my March bill and it was 78 baht and I know I called the UK to my daughter on three occasions for a reasonable chat, maybe 10-20 minutes a time. Probably average about 15 mins.

Dear Emily.

why are you using a landline to call the UK. There are much more cheaper options and sometimes free.

Line

Vyper

All done through Internet.

I take your point, but it's an old habit of sitting in the armchair with an ordinary phone. Sad, isn't it.!

I've tried Skype but always seem to have problems. I've never heard of the other two!!

It only seems to cost be about 1-2 baht a minute on the landline and the signal is good.

I've just been watching an old episode of Inspector Morse. I guess I'm a bit like him - stuck in the past! sad.png

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Tf. to Belgium with TOT from my home in Trang 1 unit = 07THB. If I tf with TOT to a handy with Treu 1 unit = 06THB and to a handy with Dtac only 03THB.

I've been using Skype to call landlines in the UK for years. You have to open a Skype-out account, but the costs are really minimal.

It's handy when you have to wait in a queue to speak to someone, which often happens if you are calling a bank or the tax office etc. The quality of the sound is absolutely perfect - often much better than from a Thai land line.

Skype calls to landlines in the UK are 1.4p per minute, plus a 5p connection charge. Calls to UK mobiles are 6.3p per min plus 5p connection charge.

Of course, if your family are on skype it is free, (and you can see each other as well!!) but if not, the costs are still very cheap. I have a revolving 'top-up' from my credit card and 10 quid lasts for months and I never have to worry about it as Skype automatically tops it up when it's getting low.

You must be one of very few people left in Thailand using a landline for phone calls from a private home, and I wouldn't hold your breath on when it might be restored. These days the landlines are only used for internet and businesses. I have 3BB internet, which comes through a landline, but no phone comes with it.

• Like 1

I've been using Skype to call landlines in the UK for years. You have to open a Skype-out account, but the costs are really minimal.

It's handy when you have to wait in a queue to speak to someone, which often happens if you are calling a bank or the tax office etc. The quality of the sound is absolutely perfect - often much better than from a Thai land line.

Skype calls to landlines in the UK are 1.4p per minute, plus a 5p connection charge. Calls to UK mobiles are 6.3p per min plus 5p connection charge.

Of course, if your family are on skype it is free, (and you can see each other as well!!) but if not, the costs are still very cheap. I have a revolving 'top-up' from my credit card and 10 quid lasts for months and I never have to worry about it as Skype automatically tops it up when it's getting low.

You must be one of very few people left in Thailand using a landline for phone calls from a private home, and I wouldn't hold your breath on when it might be restored. These days the landlines are only used for internet and businesses. I have 3BB internet, which comes through a landline, but no phone comes with it.

Mobi,

Good to hear from you. I hope you are well, as I know you had some problems when you packed it in over here.

As I'm leaving for Spain in two months I won't bother to change now. I don't even have a smart phone.