Second Scotland referendum 'inevitable'

webfact

If Scotland does eventually break away from England, I do hope that the people there realize that their lives

will be vastly changed, and not all in a good way. Unless Scotland has the oil revenues, from their land and seas,

they have a lot less population than England does. Does Scotland have their own banks, Military, as well

as lots of other industry to keep them employed and fairly well off?

I wanted to see Quebec separate from Canada on its second try, because on the news I also seen

a lot of military exercises just south of the Canadian border, which made me realize that the

Country of Quebec would have lasted a few days or so, then become part of another country.

There are still some people in the province of Quebec, who think that they want to separate,

from Canada, but in their case, they had better all get the blessings from the USA before they leave.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your line about the 13.4% that didn't vote is the type of witless nonsense that we are well used to hearing in Scotland.

Democracy depends upon participation.

If you don't participate, you are what the Greeks called 5,000 years ago, "idioti."

If you are a true democrat, do yourself a favour and don't embarrass yourself by posting that dribble again.

Another one who thinks the UK is a Democracy.

Please explain your reasoning why the UK is a Democracy. Getting a vote every 5 years or so just doesn't cut the mustard.

Whilst you are at it, put your head together with RR and see if between the 2 of you, you can come up with an explanation of how being a member of the EU in any relates to being independent.

Post 97.

Nationalism ?

During my 20 years in Hong Kong I was regularly asked what I planned to do when I retired and returned to England.

Both there and almost as many years here I regularly hear of things that don't exist such as English Passports and Driving Licences and how much England contributes to the EU.

Point the mistake out and the usual response is an exasperated " Oh you know what I mean " and oh yes I certainly do.

Just prior to the referendum several Englishmen told me they hoped Scotland would stay in the Union but if the vote was for independence they hoped Scotland as a country would fail. Nice.

I understand you NK, I have also frowned upon people describing everything British as English. I would always state to a foreigner that I am British,check into a hotel as British etc,thought of myself as British 1st, English 2nd, yet unfortunately after a while I noticed that it was the Scots who always insisted on being called Scots as opposed to British.

P.s while serving in the forces abroad, the locals would always refer to The UK as London. Being from Yorkshire I would just laugh. Their ignorance not mine.[emoji85]

Thanks for understanding my point. I say I'm Scots because saying British equates to English for many.

This was highlighted during my time in Hong Kong as the Cantonese for British and English is the same, with separate words for Scottish, Welsh etc., so saying you are British was usually taken as English.

On one occasion in the late '70s i returned to HK after a short trip and put Scottish as nationality on my landing card but this was refused by the immigration officer who said only British or English was acceptable. I brought this up with the immigration department and received an apology, sort of, in which they said that using any of the 4 constituent countries was acceptable only British. They did point out however that the colonial government had never corrected the situation regarding the dual purpose word so it really wasn't their fault.

If Scotland does eventually break away from England, I do hope that the people there realize that their lives

will be vastly changed, and not all in a good way. Unless Scotland has the oil revenues, from their land and seas,

they have a lot less population than England does. Does Scotland have their own banks, Military, as well

I wanted to see Quebec separate from Canada on its second try, because on the news I also seen

a lot of military exercises just south of the Canadian border, which made me realize that the

Country of Quebec would have lasted a few days or so, then become part of another country.

There are still some people in the province of Quebec, who think that they want to separate,

from Canada, but in their case, they had better all get the blessings from the USA before they leave.

Hi - Scotland has a very mature, diverse economy ranging from heavy industry through to finance, high tech, biotech and much more. While the oil revenue is a welcome addition to the UK coffers, it is a bounty that most other countries do not enjoy and we are certainly not over reliant upon it. However, reports yesterday from the Office of National Statistics are of an 8% increase in North Sea production on the back of recent tax changes implemented by the UK governemt, pouring cold water on the notion that oil production was down because the reservoir was empty. But as I say, even if the latter was truly the case, our economy is as diverse as any other first world country.

In terms of population, we are on a par with Denmark, Finland, Slovakia and Norway, all successful and prosperous countries. We have the same insitutions that all countries require to function - our own banks, our own legal system, own education system, and devolved responsibility for most standard civic institutions.

We do not, however, have responsibility for international issues or military issues. These remain with Westminster.

Hi - Scotland has a very mature, diverse economy ranging from heavy industry through to finance, high tech, biotech and much more. While the oil revenue is a welcome addition to the UK coffers, it is a bounty that most other countries do not enjoy and we are certainly not over reliant upon it. However, reports yesterday from the Office of National Statistics are of an 8% increase in North Sea production on the back of recent tax changes implemented by the UK governemt, pouring cold water on the notion that oil production was down because the reservoir was empty. But as I say, even if the latter was truly the case, our economy is as diverse as any other first world country.

In terms of population, we are on a par with Denmark, Finland, Slovakia and Norway, all successful and prosperous countries. We have the same insitutions that all countries require to function - our own banks, our own legal system, own education system, and devolved responsibility for most standard civic institutions.

We do not, however, have responsibility for international issues or military issues. These remain with Westminster.

In deed Scotland's population is similar to some prosperous countries,however they are not populated by Scots.

In deed Scotland's population is similar to some prosperous countries,however they are not populated by Scots.

While I had you pegged for someone who maybe had a chip on their shoulder, I never took you for a xenophobe. Should I re-evaluate my opinion?

But if we leave your bigotry in the tiresome pile where it belongs, I am sure that a world aware fellow such as yourself hardly needs to be reminded of the culture of ingenuity and learning that our country has positively fizzled with since the Reformation, which has led to some of the most dramatic advances in engineering and the sciences around the world.

Just want to ask..

Why would anyone even think that the idea that "people X" no longer want to belong in "nation Z" that is ruled "people Y" is dumb, absurd, unrealistic yadda yadda? Surely any person even with a hint of liberty and democracy understanding would comprehend that if "people X" want to leave then they can do just that. Even if it took 10 referendums.

Or is this Scotland thing more about the english pride speaking? I can understand that the former world leading empire that now is basicly a second rate member of the EU (an EU with strong fascist ideas) gets little uppity about the "peasants" in the north causing disturbance.

But anyway the reality is that even if Scotland became an independent nation that would be as independant as Kurdistan is right now. Why? Well, because of EU. It's quite amazing that 550 million (or something like that) people think it's alright that Germany, France, and to lesser degree UK, decide what happens in the EU. I'm actually little bit puzzled as to why there hasn't yet been any kind of violent movement against the EU.