Legal Rights

dsukhumvit

Hi,

Sorry to start the weekend with a serious topic, but I think I have a situation arising and need advice.

First, the facts;

Me- US Citizen

Marital Status - Married to Thai national

Child - Dual citizen of Thailand and United States

Second, the situation;

I would bet better money than not that she is walking out the door and headed to Ubon for good. Hope I'm wrong, but certainly there is a high probability. Okay, life works that way sometimes. People split up.

If we can make it amicable, then in the end I guess everything will work out. If not, we have a child caught in the middle. What rights, if any, do I have? I'm assuming very few and hoping I can be told different.

My problem is I have to make a visa run today and I think by the time I get back, she will not be here. If there were no child, then this would be a different situation, but there is. I love this little darling as much as life.

Any advice is greatly apppreciated. I certainly don't want to feel as if I have to spirit her away to America, but at the same time, I don't think the wife has the lock on the parent of the decade award either. She's not a bad lady, just an angry one (no, I wasn't cheating) and as much as I appreciate the love I see Thais give to children, the bone-headed things they do scare me to death too.

End of the day, I want what is best for the child.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Sorry to start the weekend with a serious topic, but I think I have a situation arising and need advice.

First, the facts;

Me- US Citizen

Marital Status - Married to Thai national

Child - Dual citizen of Thailand and United States

Second, the situation;

I would bet better money than not that she is walking out the door and headed to Ubon for good. Hope I'm wrong, but certainly there is a high probability. Okay, life works that way sometimes. People split up.

If we can make it amicable, then in the end I guess everything will work out. If not, we have a child caught in the middle. What rights, if any, do I have? I'm assuming very few and hoping I can be told different.

My problem is I have to make a visa run today and I think by the time I get back, she will not be here. If there were no child, then this would be a different situation, but there is. I love this little darling as much as life.

Any advice is greatly apppreciated. I certainly don't want to feel as if I have to spirit her away to America, but at the same time, I don't think the wife has the lock on the parent of the decade award either. She's not a bad lady, just an angry one (no, I wasn't cheating) and as much as I appreciate the love I see Thais give to children, the bone-headed things they do scare me to death too.

End of the day, I want what is best for the child.

Thanks in advance

You HAVE to go see a lawyer asap or you'll be history.

TOO LATE! You cannot get a US Passport for the child unless both parents agree. Also Intenational Law prevents the child from leaving nation of birth, unless both parents are in agrement. I suggest be carful and good luck to all three of you.

She's not a bad lady, just an angry one (no, I wasn't cheating)

So what were you doing that she thinks it is better to stay alone with her/your child in Ubon than staying with you?

As far as I know, in women books, cheating is first and the rest is very often negotiable,...

Probably off topic but your comments could help others,...

She's not a bad lady, just an angry one (no, I wasn't cheating)

So what were you doing that she thinks it is better to stay alone with her/your child in Ubon than staying with you?

As far as I know, in women books, cheating is first and the rest is very often negotiable,...

Probably off topic but your comments could help others,...

Thanks, Doc,

A phone call and whilst I was away, the lawyer friend sorted her out with a chat. Basically eaplained to her that I was a 'good farang' and that she should chill. Went on to explain that if she did choose to split, then so be it, but that our little girl was not a piece of property and unless things were done amicably, he would get custody for me with a blink of an eye.

Days like that it makes me happy to be a friend of others much higher up than me.

As to what I was doing. Nothing, nothing at all. I am home every night soon as I finish work except for the occasional (maybe twice a month) night out with my best friend. I am simply a person who often, communicates very little, and stays quiet. That, coupled with me not allowiing her to rummage through my cell phone to check out my numbers set her off. Told her I had nothing there and that if she thought the only way to prove it was to dig through crap, she had already shot herself in the foot.

From there it became once to often, 'I'm leaving for Ubon,' and I told her to hit the door or learn how to become happy.

I think she is now in the process of learning how to find happiness and I have the lawyer on retainer just in case she can't.

We shall see, we shall see.

OP.

You haven't got away with this, its just a storm that has passed but it will come again, and because you have played the lawyer card she now knows that your daughter is a lever on you.

Go see the lawyer and ask him if there is any ground work you can do to prevent this happening again.

Get your daughter a US Passport NOW.

And if you are buying any property put it in your daughters name, better still set up a company and get a lease or ownership for yoru company (as an American you can wholy own your own company).

Do not be tempted to believe this will not happen again.

Also Intenational Law prevents the child from leaving nation of birth, unless both parents are in agrement.

Are you sure of this? I don't remember any such issue when our daughter went to Thailand with her mother last summer.

Also Intenational Law prevents the child from leaving nation of birth, unless both parents are in agrement.

Are you sure of this? I don't remember any such issue when our daughter went to Thailand with her mother last summer.

Agree on that, from the UK only way to stop one parent absconding with a child is a court injunction. Also that does not always work.

From the fathers point of view if it is possible to get a passport from the U.S. Embassy get one. Then next time take the child to airport book seats anywhere out of thailand where you dont need a visa and you wont have a problem.

Not perhaps the best advice to save your marriage but might help.