Does the Thai Embassy (in Australia) need the fingerprints to be authenticated by 3 authorities?

I've been reading forums and official websites, and getting conflicting information. So here's my version of what seems to be an age-old problem.

I'm lodging an onshore application from Australia, for a visa. As a non-citizen, according to the Thai Embassy (Canberra) website, I need this for fingerprints: "Two sets of original fingerprint. Fingerprint must be taken at the local police station in Australia with the official seal and signature of the official taking the fingerprint. The fingerprint must be authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and legalized by the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra or the Royal Thai Consulate General in Sydney before sending it to Thailand."

Considering the entire page is written ambiguously, I checked around and found that its Canadian and Greek versions state that authentication can be done by the police "or" the embassy, not "and".

Is it a matter of writing, or does the Australian Thai Embassy seriously need the fingerprints to be authenticated by 3 authorities: police, Dept of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and Thai Embassy/Thai Consulate?

I've gone on facebook with your post, asking anyone in Oz if they are aware of this.

Will let you know what I hear back.

Thanks a lot! I'm on some farang in Thailand FB groups too. I should ask around there.