Suvarnabhumi Bangkok Airport Taxi's

cuddleypete

hello there probally not in right forum but iam sure some one will put right

we have just returned from bkk after 16 day holiday to see wifes family ,when we got to airport and went to get taxi they said 800 bhat to holiday mansion wireless road, so we said no and got down to 500 bhat, when got there we found out that that was to much,anyway on our return to the airport we got taxi who put meter on and the price was 205 bhat, yes 205 bhat ,so all take note that the taxis will try and rip you off as they did at old airport,all found out the a friend paid 800 bhat to get to pattaya ,

all the best to forum readers,

so glad to be back in the cold and wet weather. :o because it was so hot in bkk only about 30

pete and som

Don't use the unofficial taxis or limo services. Walk to where the metered taxis are and you'll pay the metered taxi rate.
:D

For example the "published" rate for a trip to Pattaya is 1,300 Baht. :D If you take a metered taxi with the meter running you will see that the metered cost is about 750-800 Baht, depending on route and time of day. Pickups from the airport taxi queue incur a 50 Baht booking fee as well, I'm told as I've never taken such an expensive taxi.

But if you are happy paying 10 Baht for a 5 Baht journey surely you should pay the taxi driver double as well..... :o

Got in late tonight and headed up to the top level to catch an incoming cab. One pulled over and we agreed to meter on, everything okay. Started to load my bags and about fifteen rent-a-cops surrounded the cab and wanted to pull my bags out and send me to the lower level for an "official" cab. I feigned ignorance and asked why I could not catch a cab at the airport. AGAINST THE LAW IN THAILAND!!! was the reply. I ignored them, not real police anyway, and off we went. The cab driver was really quite pleased.

Looks like the Don Muang taxi mafia has been supplanted by the AOT taxi mafia.

Got in late tonight and headed up to the top level to catch an incoming cab. One pulled over and we agreed to meter on, everything okay. Started to load my bags and about fifteen rent-a-cops surrounded the cab and wanted to pull my bags out and send me to the lower level for an "official" cab.

Wow, that's crazy, never thought they'd actually try to crack down on getting a cab from Departures...last week I did the same thing and there were 5-10 taxis up there, no issue with using the meter, either. Guess it depends on the mood of the rent-a-cops.

As for the others, just go by the principle: no meter, no ride...NEXT! There are a lot of taxis no matter where you'd need one...airport, Bangkok, Pattaya, it's very simple to just use the meter.

Returning recently from Dubai, as I left passport check there was a table behind which was a large sign. The sign advised that if you didn't take an AOT "official" taxi, your safety could not be guaranteed. As I was reading the sign, a couple clerks repeatedly asked me "Where you go?" Finally, I said Sukhumvit soi 8, to which one of them replied "900 baht." I won't repeat my response here. I then started looking for signs to the taxi queue, mi-awing the aggressive touts who were clamoring after me, seeking my business. All I found were bored looking "official" taxi drivers and long lines of AOT vehicles. Finally, another traveler kindly directed me to the lower level, where I found the taxi queue and took a metered taxi for 210 baht to soi 8 (knowing, of course, that AOT wasn't guaranteeing my safety).

In contrast, at the Dubai airport there is a supervised taxi queue, no taxi touts, and signs in each taxi that read "If the meter does not work, your fare is free."

What an unkind welcome back to see AOT trying to ripoff incoming visitors, not to mention the abrasive touts.

Edited by frogmo1

When, if ever, will we get a decent manager at the new airport. Whoever's currently in charge is doing a less than crappy job. Keeping thugs (posing as officials) from harassing passengers is a pretty basic job description. We also hear of roving thugs who accost tourists and rifle through their luggabe purportedly looking for cigs and who-knows-what-else. Easy to confiscate or steal in such trying situations. SVB airport is fast getting a reputation for the place not to go. Lots of travelers are going to bypass Thailand altogether because of it. I'll avoid the place any way I can. Am planning to exit via C.Mai next time I have to go overseas.

Got in late tonight and headed up to the top level to catch an incoming cab. One pulled over and we agreed to meter on, everything okay. Started to load my bags and about fifteen rent-a-cops surrounded the cab and wanted to pull my bags out and send me to the lower level for an "official" cab.

Wow, that's crazy, never thought they'd actually try to crack down on getting a cab from Departures...last week I did the same thing and there were 5-10 taxis up there, no issue with using the meter, either. Guess it depends on the mood of the rent-a-cops.

As for the others, just go by the principle: no meter, no ride...NEXT! There are a lot of taxis no matter where you'd need one...airport, Bangkok, Pattaya, it's very simple to just use the meter.

We also hear of roving thugs who accost tourists and rifle through their luggabe purportedly looking for cigs and who-knows-what-else. Easy to confiscate or steal in such trying situations. SVB airport is fast getting a reputation for the place not to go. Lots of travelers are going to bypass Thailand altogether because of it. I'll avoid the place any way I can. Am planning to exit via C.Mai next time I have to go overseas.

What are you talking about? Do you have at least one reputable source about the roving thugs who go through people's luggage? :o

If people can't keep an eye on their luggage and are somehow very confused by the very high-level concept that is international air travel, they shouldn't bypass only Thailand, they should stay home with an adult nanny...seriously, what do you people expect?? It's not like there weren't touts at Don Muang and though I've never been to Chiang Mai airport I doubt the situation is dramatically different from every other airport/train station in this country...what could possibly be so "trying" about IGNORING the touts??

Edited by Florin

We also hear of roving thugs who accost tourists and rifle through their luggabe purportedly looking for cigs and who-knows-what-else. Easy to confiscate or steal in such trying situations. SVB airport is fast getting a reputation for the place not to go. Lots of travelers are going to bypass Thailand altogether because of it. I'll avoid the place any way I can. Am planning to exit via C.Mai next time I have to go overseas.

What are you talking about? Do you have at least one reputable source about the roving thugs who go through people's luggage? :o

I have read reports in newspapers and on forums about people being stopped on road outside of Terminal by what they say are Customs men searching for Cigarettes.

Well, then they deserve what they get...the fake cop scam is world-famous, people should know better than to subject to any kind of bag/person examination in the middle of the street.

You sound like an arrogant prick. Sorry, but you do.

Fake cop scam might be world famous to where YOU travel but for some of us, it is not. You live in thailand so you know better, I live in thailand and I read this forumn so I know better OR, I am thrown off guard or taken aback and so I allow the "official looking men" to search my luggage.

If I have nothing to hide what the hel_l do I care if they look in my bag, if they attempt to seize something then I can insist they do so inside the airport in an office.

For the casual traveller to Thailand, who does not read ThaiVisa, and who travels between western countries, then NO they are not familiar with your world famous scam! And rather than cause trouble in a strange company they just MIGHT be taken aback enough to submit to a search.

Returning recently from Dubai, as I left passport check there was a table behind which was a large sign. The sign advised that if you didn't take an AOT "official" taxi, your safety could not be guaranteed. As I was reading the sign, a couple clerks repeatedly asked me "Where you go?" Finally, I said Sukhumvit soi 8, to which one of them replied "900 baht." I won't repeat my response here. I then started looking for signs to the taxi queue, mi-awing the aggressive touts who were clamoring after me, seeking my business. All I found were bored looking "official" taxi drivers and long lines of AOT vehicles. Finally, another traveler kindly directed me to the lower level, where I found the taxi queue and took a metered taxi for 210 baht to soi 8 (knowing, of course, that AOT wasn't guaranteeing my safety).

In contrast, at the Dubai airport there is a supervised taxi queue, no taxi touts, and signs in each taxi that read "If the meter does not work, your fare is free."

What an unkind welcome back to see AOT trying to ripoff incoming visitors, not to mention the abrasive touts.

AOT may not guarantee your safety but they do guarantee to rip you off. :o Though I don't suppose they mention this on their signs (that seem somewhat more prominent than those advertising the metered taxi stands).

Lucky

I must be more abreast of first person accounts than you. I've heard from at least 5 different sources in as many days, that have been agressively harassed by pseudo agents at the new airport - all happening outside the 'customs' areas ...on the concourses and in transit halls. In every case the thugs are plainclothes and offer no ID initially. And in every case they act like strongarm thugs. Maybe they're somewhat official (deputized) but regardless, they're seriously annoying travelers - most of whom have come off of long tiring flights.

It's a deplorable way to greet visitors. It sucks the big one and all Thais should be concerned aabout the despicable first impression of their country being generated by those overgrown punks.

You sound like an arrogant prick. Sorry, but you do.

Fake cop scam might be world famous to where YOU travel but for some of us, it is not. You live in thailand so you know better, I live in thailand and I read this forumn so I know better OR, I am thrown off guard or taken aback and so I allow the "official looking men" to search my luggage.

If I have nothing to hide what the hel_l do I care if they look in my bag, if they attempt to seize something then I can insist they do so inside the airport in an office.

For the casual traveller to Thailand, who does not read ThaiVisa, and who travels between western countries, then NO they are not familiar with your world famous scam! And rather than cause trouble in a strange company they just MIGHT be taken aback enough to submit to a search.

Gotta love selective moderation...personal attacks are not allowed on this forum, I bet me calling you a whiny b-i-t-c-h now is going to get edited in 10 minutes, yet your reply is allowed to remain for quite a while now. :o

I don't understand why people can't just use some common sense while traveling...if you are a budget traveler, it is your duty to inform yourself about your destination. If you don't, in Thailand or any other country in the world you will be putting an EASY TARGET sign on yourself. Information aside, why would it be so difficult to not engage in a whole thing with locals loitering around the airport? If you're not a budget traveler, than do what other people do, get yourself a 100% organized trip with a guide who will hold your hand from start to finish. Otherwise, this is not a utopian society we live in, so scam attempts in strange new countries should be expected, especially around large foreigner hubs.

I must be more abreast of first person accounts than you. I've heard from at least 5 different sources in as many days, that have been agressively harassed by pseudo agents at the new airport - all happening outside the 'customs' areas ...on the concourses and in transit halls. In every case the thugs are plainclothes and offer no ID initially. And in every case they act like strongarm thugs. Maybe they're somewhat official (deputized) but regardless, they're seriously annoying travelers - most of whom have come off of long tiring flights.

It's a deplorable way to greet visitors. It sucks the big one and all Thais should be concerned aabout the despicable first impression of their country being generated by those overgrown punks.

I agree that it gives people a bad impression to be treated like this when arriving, yet I can't help but imagine that it's the same kind of people that would normally agree to "cheap tuk-tuk tours" and "ping-pong shows", i.e. the target market for aggresive touts.

I guess ultimately it's down to pure luck if you're approached or not (over 2 dozen runs to/from the new airport so far and no such thing noticed...), but the reaction of the person involved should be to just ignore them and get in a cab.

I said you sounded like one, :D but then your response did the rest.. :D it appears both our replies have remained. :o

Informing yourself about your destination. Sure you go to the book store and you pick up books, or you go to the internet and you do some research.

Now be honest, seriously be 100% honest because you are a seasoned traveler. The very first time you came to Thailand. Did you REALLY do a search to find out what kinds of “cons” might exist? What all to avoid happening from the moment you arrive at the airport?

I will even apologize to you for my earlier comment and stand correct if you can show me links to two airport hubs in the western world that warn against Fake cop at airport scams.

As it happens, I first came to Thailand as a kid so I didn't have to worry about that :o

But honestly, I do at least a couple of hours of research online for each new place I go to...Cambodia is a recent example, for which a site like www.talesofasia.com is an invaluable source of information. Most countries, besides the usual books & online travel guides also have communities like ThaiVisa, where a quick look can teach you a lot of things you won't find in most regular guides. In any case, every Lonely Planet book I've seen has a dedicated section to certain safety pitfalls in the respective country.

I didn't say the fake cop scam is an airport thing, but it is a very widely used scheme in many countries...friends of mine have unfortunately had first-hand experience with this in the past in places like Bucharest or Moscow.

In Bangkok they do have quite a few real police filters around the city, but any time my taxi was stopped they respected proper procedure, i.e. looking with a flashlight inside my bag but allowing me to hold on to the bag at all times. In some countries this scam has burnt many people by asking them to give their wallet "for ID checking" and then returning it minus some cash, whereas a real police officer will always ask you to just give your ID card/passport, not the entire wallet. All I'm saying is that common sense can help prevent a lot of such problems and it really irritates me when people complain about situations which could have been very easily avoided.

Edited by Florin

As it happens, I first came to Thailand as a kid so I didn't have to worry about that :o

But honestly, I do at least a couple of hours of research online for each new place I go to...Cambodia is a recent example, for which a site like www.talesofasia.com is an invaluable source of information. Most countries, besides the usual books & online travel guides also have communities like ThaiVisa, where a quick look can teach you a lot of things you won't find in most regular guides. In any case, every Lonely Planet book I've seen has a dedicated section to certain safety pitfalls in the respective country.

I didn't say the fake cop scam is an airport thing, but it is a very widely used scheme in many countries...friends of mine have unfortunately had first-hand experience with this in the past in places like Bucharest or Moscow.

In Bangkok they do have quite a few real police filters around the city, but any time my taxi was stopped they respected proper procedure, i.e. looking with a flashlight inside my bag but allowing me to hold on to the bag at all times. In some countries this scam has burnt many people by asking them to give their wallet "for ID checking" and then returning it minus some cash, whereas a real police officer will always ask you to just give your ID card/passport, not the entire wallet. All I'm saying is that common sense can help prevent a lot of such problems and it really irritates me when people complain about situations which could have been very easily avoided.

You still haven't answered my question, pr...ecious member. Have you ever used it, the cobra swamp airport I mean.

Yes I have...beginning with July 29, actually. Do you need pictures to prove it or smthn?? I mentioned that in the first page of this topic, if you'd have bothered reading.

Then may I ask if you have some vested interest in defending cobra swamp like crazy? Or do you always walk with your ears and eyes closed and never read a newspaper except the sport pages maybe.

Listen, I know there are problems with the new airport - shortage (and cleanliness) of toilets, lack of good support for disabled travelers, general organizational mix-ups which mean we need to use the bus to the gate much more often, etc. These I perceive as real problems, which need to be addressed...however, stuff like "it's too noisy", "there are too many touts outside", "I don't like the arrangement of the escalators" I perceive as petty complaints which show a desire to nitpick.

As a fellow traveler, I want the problems corrected as much as anyone else, but give it time for God's sake...when it comes to such complex integrated systems, it's practically impossible to get it 100% right the first time and please everyone, that's why in the first few months they need to fine-tune certain things. The signage to/from the airport and in some areas inside is an example of this: when it opened, there were too few signs and it could get pretty confusing. Not so now...they've worked on this and it shows.

Yes, there's been corruption, yes, because of that corners have been cut here and there, but you should know this is a chronic problem which has not been addressed in much more economically advanced countries (see the construction of the new Wembley stadium, for ex.), so you should give these guys a break.

Edited by Florin

As a fellow traveler, I want the problems corrected as much as anyone else, but give it time for God's sake...when it comes to such complex integrated systems, it's practically impossible to get it 100% right the first time and please everyone, that's why in the first few months they need to fine-tune certain things. The signage to/from the airport and in some areas inside is an example of this: when it opened, there were too few signs and it could get pretty confusing. Not so now...they've worked on this and it shows.

I agree that they've been forced by Toxin to open the the airport way too early. But after 30 or so years of planning one would have thought they'd get it to at least 90% right.

Like the toilet thing. It seems to be a minor annoyance but don't imagine it to be that easy to build an appropriate number and appropriately sized toilets into an otherwise completed building. Don't expect King Power to give up one 

square inch of their space. 

I think if there hadn't been such a big cockalorum about it b4 and instead they'd said 'well, we'll open they new 

airport b4 time, their will be some nuisances at the beginning but we'll do our best to solve these ASAP', there were many less complaints.