Muay Thai Gyms In Thailand

hey everybody

I am wondering if anybody can help me. I have been in Thailand over a year now and i am training in Muay Thai. I have had four fights so far and i hope to carry on training only the problem is money. The cheapest gyms i can find are 6,000bhat, which i cant even afford if i want to stay long term. I can pay this price for a while but i need to be at a gym where i know they are going to give me a cheaper price eventually especially when i am fighting once or twice a month, kinda seems unfair that i should pay the same as people who arent fighting for the gym.

Anyway i am looking for a serious gym, not one that is overrun with foreigners. I am looking for a mainly Thai gym and if i am together with foreigners they are the ones that are training hard. Money is the main issue but i also want a decent gym with okay facilities but mainly a good trainer. I have problems finding this as i am female. I recently found a good gym but once the trainer realised i wasent interested in him, he lost interest in training me. It makes it even more difficult and a lot of gyms dont want to take on falangs alone, being female makes it more hard, most people just laugh at me, even though there are many falang women training in Thailand. Anyway thats another subject altogether,.

So please any ideas anyone?

hey everybody

I am wondering if anybody can help me. I have been in Thailand over a year now and i am training in Muay Thai. I have had four fights so far and i hope to carry on training only the problem is money. The cheapest gyms i can find are 6,000bhat, which i cant even afford if i want to stay long term. I can pay this price for a while but i need to be at a gym where i know they are going to give me a cheaper price eventually especially when i am fighting once or twice a month, kinda seems unfair that i should pay the same as people who arent fighting for the gym.

Anyway i am looking for a serious gym, not one that is overrun with foreigners. I am looking for a mainly Thai gym and if i am together with foreigners they are the ones that are training hard. Money is the main issue but i also want a decent gym with okay facilities but mainly a good trainer. I have problems finding this as i am female. I recently found a good gym but once the trainer realised i wasent interested in him, he lost interest in training me. It makes it even more difficult and a lot of gyms dont want to take on falangs alone, being female makes it more hard, most people just laugh at me, even though there are many falang women training in Thailand. Anyway thats another subject altogether,.

In Pattaya there is a training school called "The International School Of Martial ArtS (ISMA)". They do Kung <deleted> at night and Muay Thai during the day. I was told the cost is 2500.00 per month, total.

The web site, here: ISMA does not mention the Muay Thai but they definitely do it.

Does anyone else have info on this school??

hey everybody

If you are really serious about training / learning Muay Thai , find a camp and see if you can stay there - this is where the real training takes place.

On the outskirts of Pattaya is Sityatong , not sure if females can board there.

Did you consider going up to the North East to Isan, where there is some excellent camps, and its real cheap to live?

I spent 7 or 8 months in Nong Ki, Burriram, which is a small village of about 2000 people about 1 hour outside Korat, just inside the Burriram provience.

I trained in Nong Ki Payuath, which is where in the early 90s both Nampon and Nammbukan came from. (both fought Ramon Decker).

I trained under Master Pramote, who is a gentleman, and very respected in Muay Thai and life in general.

he speaks perfect english as he was a high school teacher.

these days it is a small camp with a few young fighters. In fact the village of Nong Ki has 3 or 4 camps in the surrounding area, the others being very small.

It is real cheap to live up there, I had a 2 bed house rented for 2500 bhat a month, so a room would be cheaper, and its real cheap to live. you cannot spend money really!

Only problem is few people speak english, and aside from training there is nothing to do really. its pure rural thai rice farmer life. and there is no frang food at all... not even a french fry. but it was a great expereince.

though you can get bus to Korat which is only 80 Km away. there is plenty to do in Korat.

also up there, once the rice harvest is done, there is lots of festivals from January on, with Muay Thai fights...usually free in, or 20 bhat max. went to see one fight one night. started 9pm....fights did not finish until 430am in the morning!!!!

lots of girls from Surin or Ubon were fighting too.

There is tons of camps up in isan, so maybe if money is tight...thats the place to go, and give the camps in Pattaya who are after tourist dollar a miss.

Life in Isan is very interesting and you get to see the real thailand. plus if your serious about training, you will have no distraction.

also where I trained they did a hour of clinch in morning and and hour of clinch in afternoon, and the young fighters were doing over 3000 kicks a day.

hey everybody

In Pattaya there is a training school called "The International School Of Martial ArtS (ISMA)". They do Kung <deleted> at night and Muay Thai during the day. I was told the cost is 2500.00 per month, total.

The web site, here: ISMA does not mention the Muay Thai but they definitely do it.

Does anyone else have info on this school??

Sifu Mcinnes is an ex Muay Thai world champion, he is an instructor there.

He has trained several world champions, including Peter Aerts(K1 CHAMPION)

Trains several forms of martial Arts, and has trained several women to become highly graded.

Sifu is from NZ and is very knowledgable about martial arts

Hey

I was just reading your post that you replied to me with. I was definitely thinking about Isan but then lots of people told me not to bother because they wouldnt let me anywhere near the ring because i am a woman and they are quite backwards there!!!?

I have heard there is good Muay Thai there and i would like to go. I speak real basic Thai and is enough to get by but when i comes to finding a gym its impossible. I have been to loads of places now including Bangkok and when it comes to asking locals or Taxi drivers, most of them dont know where there are gyms or they jus cant be bothered to help me. IN Bangkok it ended up them taking me to these fancy foreigner gyms for like 30 thousand plus per month and things, the Thais dont understand thats the complete opposite of what i am looking for. Anyway it sounds quite easy to jus go somewhere and look for places but in fact it isnt. At the moment i am in Nakhom Si Thammarat looking for places and my friend is going to have to come and help me, as i have been out looking today and everybody knows there are gyms here but nobody knows where and then the taxis want to charge me loads of money and then take me to these tiny gyms with a few little kids training there or something. I imagine Isan will be more of a problem and my friend cannot go there to help me as it is too far away.

So what i am wondering is, when did you train there and can you give me any information on this place, name address contact number etc? so if i go there i might be able to find somewhere? What do you mean also by a small camp? because small to one person may be different to another so i am not sure.

Thanks

Did you consider going up to the North East to Isan, where there is some excellent camps, and its real cheap to live?

I spent 7 or 8 months in Nong Ki, Burriram, which is a small village of about 2000 people about 1 hour outside Korat, just inside the Burriram provience.

I trained in Nong Ki Payuath, which is where in the early 90s both Nampon and Nammbukan came from. (both fought Ramon Decker).

I trained under Master Pramote, who is a gentleman, and very respected in Muay Thai and life in general.

he speaks perfect english as he was a high school teacher.

these days it is a small camp with a few young fighters. In fact the village of Nong Ki has 3 or 4 camps in the surrounding area, the others being very small.

It is real cheap to live up there, I had a 2 bed house rented for 2500 bhat a month, so a room would be cheaper, and its real cheap to live. you cannot spend money really!

Only problem is few people speak english, and aside from training there is nothing to do really. its pure rural thai rice farmer life. and there is no frang food at all... not even a french fry. but it was a great expereince.

though you can get bus to Korat which is only 80 Km away. there is plenty to do in Korat.

also up there, once the rice harvest is done, there is lots of festivals from January on, with Muay Thai fights...usually free in, or 20 bhat max. went to see one fight one night. started 9pm....fights did not finish until 430am in the morning!!!!

lots of girls from Surin or Ubon were fighting too.

There is tons of camps up in isan, so maybe if money is tight...thats the place to go, and give the camps in Pattaya who are after tourist dollar a miss.

Life in Isan is very interesting and you get to see the real thailand. plus if your serious about training, you will have no distraction.

also where I trained they did a hour of clinch in morning and and hour of clinch in afternoon, and the young fighters were doing over 3000 kicks a day.

maybe you should just stop trying to find something for nothing and go home and save your money up and come back when you have enough to pay for your training at a gym thats used to foreigners. The Thai fighters and camp owners believe very strongly in the spirit of females and it interfereing with the fighters and maybe weakening them, you will not find any gym or fighter willing to work closely with you for that reason, may seem backwards to you, but to them it is a very strong spiritual belief. The gym that are the opposite of what you want in your eyes due to the expense etc.... are probably the best option you have for actualy leaning and getting shown stuff due to their experience of dealing with foriegners more and understanding their needs

maybe you should just stop trying to find something for nothing and go home and save your money up and come back when you have enough to pay for your training at a gym thats used to foreigners. The Thai fighters and camp owners believe very strongly in the spirit of females and it interfereing with the fighters and maybe weakening them, you will not find any gym or fighter willing to work closely with you for that reason, may seem backwards to you, but to them it is a very strong spiritual belief. The gym that are the opposite of what you want in your eyes due to the expense etc.... are probably the best option you have for actualy leaning and getting shown stuff due to their experience of dealing with foriegners more and understanding their needs

I would like to know where you get your information, Ladies fighting these days is big business. A decent fighter has no need to pay big expenses, they are assets. Its the short term tourist fighters that pay out the big bucks, Not dedicated fighters such as bobtail kitten. I understand she is a very hard worker and already has a couple wins to her credit.

The people who need to save their money and come over are the ones who believe they have enough experiance to teach, train, and coach Muay Thai without ever coming here to Thailand to see the full picture.

I would like to know where you get your information, Ladies fighting these days is big business. A decent fighter has no need to pay big expenses, they are assets. Its the short term tourist fighters that pay out the big bucks, Not dedicated fighters such as bobtail kitten. I understand she is a very hard worker and already has a couple wins to her credit.

The people who need to save their money and come over are the ones who believe they have enough experiance to teach, train, and coach Muay Thai without ever coming here to Thailand to see the full picture.

im sorry, but it is you that needs to get a little more info I think. I know of several female fighters out here fighting regularly and they are hardly earning big money. One girl from England has fought at Songchai's new stadium and was paid about 3000 baht, lets be honest if the gym was to take their cut of 50% then 1500 baht for one fight a month is not really an asset. Look at the Female S1 tournaent and the miss Muaythai contest they held recently, I can guarentee that the fighters there will not have been paid more than 10,000 baht to enter, again 5000 to the boxer and 5000 to the gym is standard rate and again hardly an asset. The only places that Females would get any real money would be in Phuket or Samui where the tourists are and still would not be much more that 10000 baht a fight. Not saying she is not dedicated or determined, just the reality and all though certain promotions are trying to market Womens Muaythai here, there is still very little money available. If you look at what a top male fighter could possibly make at Lumpini or Ratchadamnern, 100,000 baht a month plus, when that is split 50-50 with the camp you are seeing a true asset to them and that unfortunately is why female fighters will struggle to get a gym willing to give too much of their time to them, as their income comes from the Male fighters

Edited by Tingnongnoi

im sorry, but it is you that needs to get a little more info I think. I know of several female fighters out here fighting regularly and they are hardly earning big money. One girl from England has fought at Songchai's new stadium and was paid about 3000 baht, lets be honest if the gym was to take their cut of 50% then 1500 baht for one fight a month is not really an asset. Look at the Female S1 tournaent and the miss Muaythai contest they held recently, I can guarentee that the fighters there will not have been paid more than 10,000 baht to enter, again 5000 to the boxer and 5000 to the gym is standard rate and again hardly an asset. The only places that Females would get any real money would be in Phuket or Samui where the tourists are and still would not be much more that 10000 baht a fight. Not saying she is not dedicated or determined, just the reality and all though certain promotions are trying to market Womens Muaythai here, there is still very little money available. If you look at what a top male fighter could possibly make at Lumpini or Ratchadamnern, 100,000 baht a month plus, when that is split 50-50 with the camp you are seeing a true asset to them and that unfortunately is why female fighters will struggle to get a gym willing to give too much of their time to them, as their income comes from the Male fighters

Part of what your saying is correct but part of it is 1985 thinking. Very few farang men or women can survive off fighting Muay Thai alone in Thailand, The reality is its a very hard life.

An asset is simply something of value, While it may not be recognized as being of value here it is possible its very valuable somewhere else. Lonely Planet Guide is a silly but good example, how many do they sale in Thailand where the book is written verses how many they sale in London?

While I agree with you about most of what youve said about fighting here in Thailand and admit you know a few things for sure, your thinking on a local level and Im seeing it as a global competition. If you want a little bigger picture you should down the 60 minutes episode from a couple weeks back that discusses MMA. MMA is the new NASCAR as far as growing sports, recently one pay per view event made more than 25 million bucks.

There is a very strong intrest in female fighters in America and Europe so those who can survive on a budget here and get through enough fights to get some ring time and a fight record now will be be looking good to promoters in other locations.

hi there

first of all I want to say good on you for learning this sport!!!!

A good friend of mine is a trainer, he takes on selected figthers. I cant post his number on here but if you wish to drop me a email I can give you details.

I dont know of the charges but I do Know that this is what you are looking for, his reputation is very good and he has trained top international fighters, international instructors and my wife, to be honest I have been on the end of one of her slow punch's and it droped me, she won that argument!

the tourists that I have meet there are fighters, and good but very few! this is what we would call a back street gym, but there level of skill is amazing! also there contacts throught the"family" are top class. to me this would be a good step for someone who wants to learn at very advanced level and fight in the circuit.

now I cant tell you there perspective 100% on Women Fighters, but my friend has trained women to a advanced levels in standard Muay Thai and street Muay. I do know as a Fighter you will be respected with these people.

I dont know anthing about the fighting, training or style other than sparing with my wife, but enough said about that! but I can put you in touch with other Fighters and Trainers and you can both take it from there.

[email protected]

marc

Part of what your saying is correct but part of it is 1985 thinking. Very few farang men or women can survive off fighting Muay Thai alone in Thailand, The reality is its a very hard life.

An asset is simply something of value, While it may not be recognized as being of value here it is possible its very valuable somewhere else. Lonely Planet Guide is a silly but good example, how many do they sale in Thailand where the book is written verses how many they sale in London?

While I agree with you about most of what youve said about fighting here in Thailand and admit you know a few things for sure, your thinking on a local level and Im seeing it as a global competition. If you want a little bigger picture you should down the 60 minutes episode from a couple weeks back that discusses MMA. MMA is the new NASCAR as far as growing sports, recently one pay per view event made more than 25 million bucks.

There is a very strong intrest in female fighters in America and Europe so those who can survive on a budget here and get through enough fights to get some ring time and a fight record now will be be looking good to promoters in other locations.

yes there is a chance that they can make a name for themselves and a record to use abroad, but that still doesn't solve bobtailkitten's problem of how to find a gym here that will let her train very cheaply while at the same time devoting lots of time and effort in to her training, which is what the thread is about, not how much MMA is growing in US, which has nothing to do with her problem regarding training here or my reply to that. I am not thinking in 1985 terms on that, im replying in the treality of how hard it will be to find a gym here, that is willing to devote time and effort into her for little or no reward. She isnt an asset to any gym here now and thats her problem unfortunately , not whether she is an asset elsewhere, sounds harsh, but unfortunately it is the reality.

Edited by Tingnongnoi

..... While I agree with you about most of what youve said about fighting here in Thailand and admit you know a few things for sure, your thinking on a local level and Im seeing it as a global competition. If you want a little bigger picture you should down the 60 minutes episode from a couple weeks back that discusses MMA. MMA is the new NASCAR as far as growing sports, recently one pay per view event made more than 25 million bucks.

And herein lies the problem for a Thai gym. They for the most part have no ability to market a fighter abroad, so the fighter ends up training here then has a promoter overseas. A guy like Choppa chapman, who is won of the better farang fighters out here can make money for a gym here with some fights at Lumpini etc (I have been told he was even ranked in top 10 at one point) which can be shared with the trainer; but once abroad CHoppa already has his own promoter to work with, and the Thai gym owner in that case would not share in his success. Sure, there is some marketing benefit perhaps, but not much. After all.... can you name which gym the top 10 Muay Thai fighters in the world train at? (and most don't fight in psuedo muay Thai competitions like K1 etc; they are fighting in Lumpini and Ratchadamoen AFAIK). Would that make you want to train there? Probably not; most foreigners go and need to go to a gym where they are taught at a level suited to their skill and their knowledge by people who can speak english e.g. Fairtex, etc.

MMA has no real relevance AFAIK to Muay Thai; it isn't the same sport. Neither is K1. Or K1 Maxx, despite the success and style of Buakao (who is awesome!).

Then we get to women. Women's boxing and women's Muay Thai is not big business. At least not in Thailand or that I know of. Compared to men, women is definitely a minority interest; we are not talking men and women's tennis; we are talking more like men's and women's rugby or men and women cricket; where the sport is 95% men, 5% women. I've watched and sparred with some very good women, but there are far fewer fighters and far less depth; just one step removed from the top 2 women in my gym in NZ was a third who would be an almost beginner; simply there wasn't much depth.

At the amateur games for Muay THai a few years ago, there was one woman who was so far better than any of the other women it was rediculous; she would have been on par with many of the men; however the fights were just a showcase of her hitting her opponent pretty much at will. Not much excitement other than watching someone really really good.

For Thai people, they will pay and enjoy watching their heroes at Lumpini and Ratchadamnoen, and all the fighters there are male. They will pay to watch a farang fight who is decent (like Choppa) and so there is some chance for a westerner to earn money here as a fighter. There are quite a few very very talented world class (in some cases champions) non Thais training here in Thailand.

But for many, they would not pay as much to watch a woman fight, and with that the chance disappears/reduces to earn a decent paycheck at least here in Thailand. And that is at least in part why the promoter/gym is not going to give away training for free; for them at least there is no real upside to do so.

what has MMA got to do with a woman training in muay thai?

For this question and the other responses. MMA is growing fast, Muay Thai is now getting more exposure than ever before because of MMA, MT has always been a brand just as Coke is a brand only it represents stand up fighting with elbows and knees. The reality here in Thailand has little if anything to do with the name brand Muay Thai that is now being marketed in the west.

Muay Thai as a brand like any other product is made here and exported for sale abroad. A few Thais have gone abroad and have made a substantial finacial gain through marketing Muay Thai as if they owned a trademark on it and recently it has grown so much that most of the people who make claims of being Muay Thai Fighters have never been to Thailand nor have they ever been in a fight that allowed elbows to be used.

In the coming years MMA will be getting bigger, there is no doubt about it. Muay Thai will always be a componet of MMA out side of Thailand and Muay Thai is no longer marketable as a stand alone sport outside of Thailand anymore. Those who dont see that or dont like that will just be left sitting on the warm up bench in the future. Muay Thai in Thailand will remain on its fixed course which is a gambling related affair.

The point Im making is Muay Thai in Thailand is great but there is also a entire fight world that is beyond the radar for the most part of those on the ground fighting and promoting here. Like any revenue orientated business those who can predict future trends and market to more customers will see the best financial gains.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

depends on what type of gym to be honest. You can get cheap deals at some gyms, but dont often get the best of attention, some of the bigger gyms that cater to foriegners as well as their own Thai fightwers will charge around 600-1000 a day for all inclusive training with accomodation and 2 meals thrown in and charge around 300-400 for a one off session.

6000 baht a month isn't a bad price - some of the places are charging 15,000 a month. Add in food and other expenses and the bottom line is this - you're not a Thai fighting in Lumpini Stadium fighting for hundreds of thousands of baht and you're a woman. If you want to train in the gyms here, you've got to pay! Save your money and come back when you've got enough to stay for the long-term.

6000 baht a month is $170 a month. Add in food and a few personal expenses and you should be able to stay here quite easily for $500 a month. A 4 month stay would run you around $2000. Just how much do you think it should cost you??? Should it be free? Again - you're not Thai and even though you've had a few fights, you're at the low end of the totem pole here. I don't mean to be harsh but facts are facts.

down here in Pattaya... today I went to see...

Sitpholek is 3500 bhat a month for unlimited training and weigths too... but the trainers are only there in afternoon.. mornings is free training to do your own work.

They do alot of sparring and boxing there too, Farang owns it, and it caters to farangs who wnat to learn and fight, and have not been training full time since 12 years old.

then across the road Internatioal School of Martial Arts is 2500 a month for afternnon muay thai only. and they training Peter Arts, earnsto hoost and others.

I am changing camp, as I was at Sityodtong since september, and no one has been teaching me much.. its a few rounds of pad man..then on to the bags and thats it. no sparring, no clinch. since I want to improve and be the best...thats no good to me.

Oh..and I went into Fairtex...4000 bhat for a 10 session card... and that looked like a muay thai tourist holiday camp, I thought he was joking about the price!!!! . now I stayed 2 years ago in fairtex bang pli...and it was a bit more hard core.

www.kombatgroup.com which is not far from my house either. is farang owned and they do spar and clinch so I will drop in tomorrow. 250 bhat a session.

Its hard to get decent sparring out here. when I was into plain old kickboxing back in ireland 70% of what we did was sparring. hitting a bag all afternoon, is F all use, unless you get a fe spars!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I might be able to help you.

We are opening a new Muay Thai gym in Phuket in the coming weeks. We will have the best trainers you can possibly imagine working with us. We might consider to train you for free if you want to fight regularly for our gym and help you find cheap accommodation. We can arrange fights for you in the two stadiums in Patong (and if you win your fights we also have good connections to have you fight in Bangkok later on).

We will have Thai fighters training hard at our gym and you can join in and train as hard as you like. There are beatiful paths for running in our area. Thopadak (Sinbi Taewoong) is training hard for his upcoming K-1 tournament now. We will have another fighter from Bangkok called Dee who will train hard. Lumpinee Champion Kaolan Kaovichit will work as a trainer as well as KOMA champion and former top ranked fighter in Lumpinee Thopadak Wanchalerm himself will train our fighters. Thopadaks trainer from Bangkok will also come to work with us and train our fighters. I can assure you that our trainers will train you seriously.

Check out Thopadak aka Sinbi Taewoongs personal website and Sinbi Muay Thai Camp