Non Imm. "o" Vientiane

So after reading most of these, It seems to me that the use of a lawyer or an agency is pretty much a waste of money. It all seems pretty simple and straight forward with the right documentation. I am heading to Singapore next week to do the marriage non-imm o and was considering doing the lawyer, but now I think I will just go it alone. :o

So after reading most of these, It seems to me that the use of a lawyer or an agency is pretty much a waste of money. It all seems pretty simple and straight forward with the right documentation. I am heading to Singapore next week to do the marriage non-imm o and was considering doing the lawyer, but now I think I will just go it alone. :D

That's the best way to do it. :o

I spoke with a lawyer, and as I understand it, KL is the easiest place to get the multi-entry visa. Singapore is also up on the list. I don't know if nationality has anything to do with it ( I don't think so though ) and I am American..........so flying all the way back to get it would be quite the pain ! :o I am going to Singapore because it is cheaper for me in Chiang Mai than going to KL, not by much though.

I have also read of some people having to go back to their own country to get the visa............I don't know if this is all based on your nationality or what....Just know that being American, I don't have to.

Also as this will just be my 90 day visa, I am only getting single entry. No plans to go anywhere soon. When I go for my 1 year extension, I will make sure that is multi-entry

Good luck

Thanks very much for that.

I am an Australian if that helps anyone provide me with info.

I am starting to think I may give one of those places a go. Even if I discover that I can't get the multi entry and only get the 90 day visa, that is all I need for now and I can go to Australia later.

Some people are saying you have to go to your home country and other times i am hearing that maybe in KL or Singapore it (getting a multi entry non imm o visa) can be done also.

More clarification from people???

Re: NON-O: This is what I learned on Thaivisa.com and from my own experience on NON-0 for 3 years:

(As a parent of a Thai child)

It's all relatively simple actually.

3 "classes" of applicants are given NON-O visas:

1) Spouses of Thai nationals (of course with or w/out Thai children)

2) Parents of Thai nationals (thus: ummarried or not married to the Thai mother/father)

3) "Visitors" (long term stays, visits friends, blah blah blah)

Class 3 is basically only interested in MULTIPLE entry and basically is NOT legitimate.

(Note: Visas issued are of course legitimate and I am not making any sort of judgement).

Applicants must rely on "friendly" consulates in the WEST (mostly UK/US, for sure NOT Scandinavia for ex.).

It is not clear at all that friendly consulates will keep issuing NON-O visas to this class of applicants after 01/10/2006.

So: for legitimate applicants: basically:

SINGLE ENTRY:

=============

Class 1 and Class 2 will receive SINGLE entry NON-O *ANYWHERE* (as things stand now).

Malaysia (Penang and Kuala Lumpur) has a reputation for "good treatement" of "family cases".

But applicants can go to traditionally "unfriendly" embassies and consulates like VIENTIANE (or in Cambodia or the Philippines for ex.) and still receive SINGLE entry NON-O.

(Yes, no problemo. No real "good news", here, sorry to say. Instead: it would be VERY WORRYING if ANY embassy/consulate, including the unfriendly ones, stopped issuing SINGLE entry NON-O to legitimate applicants. Never ever reported here so far).

MULTIPLE ENTRY:

==============

Since 01/10/2006:

-It seems MULTIPLE entry are NOT AVAILABLE anywhere in S-E Asia anymore.

(Forget VIENTIANE for sure. They NEVER issued MULTIPLE)

Some very recent posts suggest differently. But only very "neat" cases like a person working in Singapore with Singaporean PR applying in Singapore.

However:

-Class 1 (SPOUSES) will receive MULTIPLE entry in their "HOME COUNTRY" VERY EASILY.

I think: ANYWHERE if home country. Except maybe Scandinavia?

-Class 2 (PARENTS) will NOT receive MULTIPLE entry in their home country anymore (in most cases, unless they happen to be from a country with "friendly" consulates).

Class 2 (it's me BTW) must now plead their case with some friendly consulate in the WEST...

SUMMARY: SINCE 01/10/2006:

=========================

-If one, either married or parent, does not really bother SINGLE or MULTIPLE: one should try Malaysia or Singapore.

-If married and requires MULTIPLE: you should apply at home only.

-If "mere" parent and requires MULTIPLE: you must plead your case with a friendly consulate in the WEST. You are very unlikely to be given a MULTILE entry in your home country (unless UK or US).

---

You can see why some people want/need to go home to get a new NON-O visa.

Last and not least (since many asked here): country of residence or citizenship is *irrelevant*.

(BTW I learned this for sure on TV)

Anybody regardless of his country of residence or citizenship can apply for a Thai visa anywhere there is a Thai embassy/consulate.

(OK. Seems some neighbours of Thailand, part of the "developing world", have unwritten policies to discriminate against non-nationals, like in Cambodia. But in the "first world", everybody should be fine).

I got my Non-O (I am 44) by sending my passport to Washington along with a copy of a house lease for a year. Send 2 day air to and from, I had my visa in 4 days. I think sometimes people make things harder than they need to be - sometimes less is more.

I later got married within a month of arriving (certificate marrage - not buddhist ceremony), got my wife pregnant, and with those two items sailed through the process for a 1 year extension. Make a Thai baby and the skids are greased.

Not so! I have 2 thai kids and when I applied for the "O" extension back when it was only 200,000 in the bank and a letter from the bankin stating this was the case. They gave me 1 month stamps month after month until approved. After 7 months I got a 7 days to leave the country. In the beginning they told me I could use the 200,000 baht so I did. It was for business so the money was going in and out as i bought and sold but the day they checked I was 10,000 baht short so they told me7 days and you are out. Evr since then I have been leaving the country to get my visas.

---

Last and not least (since many asked here): country of residence or citizenship is *irrelevant*.

Anybody regardless of his country of residence or citizenship can apply for a Thai visa anywhere there is a Thai embassy/consulate.

(OK. Seems some neighbours of Thailand, part of the "developing world", have unwritten policies to discriminate against non-nationals, like in Cambodia. But in the "first world", everybody should be fine).

I once tried to apply for a visa at the Thai embassy in Rome, as my father was resident there. They refused to help me as I am British and was not resident in Italy.

---

I once tried to apply for a visa at the Thai embassy in Rome, as my father was resident there. They refused to help me as I am British and was not resident in Italy.

Refusing to "service" non-resident applicants is not a standard policy at normal embassies. (I intent use the term normal: The embassy is in Rome. It is still a Thai embassy...).

---

Refusing to "service" non-resident applicants is not a standard policy at normal embassies. (I intent use the term normal: The embassy is in Rome. It is still a Thai embassy...).

There are NO residential qualifications that apply to applicants from most countries.