Electric Outlet Question

pumpuiman

The plans for my house specify some electrical outlets(plug receptacles) to be placed 1.3 meters high. Other outlets listed in the plan have no height listed.

What is the general height of outlets in new construction?

Thanks,

Eric

on a switch its 50 inches to the bottom of a switch box.15 inches to the bottom of a recepticle box.you should have a recepticle every 6 feet on a wall.if it is in within 3 ft of a water source. it should have a ground fault interupted receptilce or circuit. but in thailand i would be most concerned about the fact that they ground nothing.

Those sound like USA standards.....I was wondering about "normal" for Thailand. :o

I do have a grounded system. :D

Those sound like USA standards.....I was wondering about "normal" for Thailand. :o

I too have a grounded system. My experience is that you can have anything you want providing the following 3 conditions are met:-

1) You are paying for it

2) They are not paying for it

3) You supervise them and make sure you get what you pay for

Simple, isn't it!?

on a switch its 50 inches to the bottom of a switch box.15 inches to the bottom of a recepticle box.you should have a recepticle every 6 feet on a wall.if it is in within 3 ft of a water source. it should have a ground fault interupted receptilce or circuit. but in thailand i would be most concerned about the fact that they ground nothing.

There are no rules whatsoever that state exactly where a GPO/switch/etc should be in a "hazard free zone".

But do apply common sense - avoid placing these things in a situation where there is an easy likelihood of them becoming wet or mechanically damaged. Avoid placing anything electrical in a wet area (bathroom).

RCD's (safe-t-cut) do not guarantee to save your life if you put yourself in a bad situation. These things are electronic devices & as such, are prone to failure. Therefore they need to be tested on a regular basis. It's not going to send you an SMS when it has failed...one flash & you're ash!!!

I too have a grounded system. My experience is that you can have anything you want providing the following 3 conditions are met:-

1) You are paying for it

Simple, isn't it!?

My question.....

The plans for my house specify some electrical outlets(plug receptacles) to be placed 1.3 meters high. Other outlets listed in the plan have no height listed.

Thanks,

Eric

Unfortunately I wasn't there to supervise as I said earlier
The plans specify 1.3 meters for certain outlets.....others are not given heights in the plan. Should he have put the majority of outlets lower...as in USA construction?

I am not there supervising....my Thai father in law is. I just got the latest photos annoyed.gif.

... The outlets have been installed already.thats why I asked about Thai standards. So it's not so simple.

Hind sight is 20/20

1) You are paying for it

Simple, isn't it!?

My question.....

Thanks,

Eric

Unfortunately I wasn't there to supervise as I said earlier
The plans specify 1.3 meters for certain outlets.....others are not given heights in the plan. Should he have put the majority of outlets lower...as in USA construction?

I am not there supervising....my Thai father in law is. I just got the latest photos annoyed.gif.

... The outlets have been installed already.thats why I asked about Thai standards. So it's not so simple.

Hind sight is 20/20

There are no current Thai standards that relate to Wiring Rules.

• 1 month later...
Latest UK regs have socket outlets far higher than in the past ( I do not remember the exact heights-possibley 900mm above floor level).

As an old guy who hates bending down to plug things in this makes very good sense to me.

The actual current UK regulations specify that a socket should be no lower than 40cm (400mm) from the floor - this is for accessibility for the old and disabled. If you wish to put them higher for access that fine . . . just no lower!