At the time the land tax was proposed my view was that it would never become law, because the wealthy and the middle class, who supported the coup, would successfully resist it.  Now, according to the Newspaper Whose Name Cannot Be Spoken, it appears that the proposed land tax law is indeed unlikely ever to take effect.

Edited by CaptHaddock

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is accurate, the powers that be have recently started handing out Land Tax bills to several Villages in Chonburi.  I know this as I know people in both Villages.

The amounts in some cases even asked for Back dated, Not sure how a new act can be retro spected prior to its even being but I wouldnt believe it had I not seen myself.

Both Villages are above the standard and all properties are a min of 15 Million Baht approx.

The Bills I saw were between 15000 - 30000 baht per year.

Have searched relentlessly and cant find any reference to it being law so Im dubious as are most of the authenticity.

On a side note once one of the Villages was on the Land Office radar, they were expected to pay approx 15000 each house  (approx 500,000 Baht) to re survey the Village which had been established ten years or more ago and all signed off on.