Escapes From Songkran?

jaideeguy

I'm posting this to hopefully come up with some alternatives to songkran.......places [in country] to have a mellow songkran holiday with the family, but with out the insanity. Being the hottest time of the year, a cool place within driving distance of CM would be nice.

Or ....what alternatives 'out of country' [close to CM] would be nice??

Any creative ideas???? I want peace!!!

I can answer your question.

Option 1

Go to the south of Thailand. Water is generally thrown on one day ( outside of major tourists areas ) though I can't remember which day. Ask the locals. I spent one Songkran in Trang.

Option 2

Drive to the beautiful Doi Pui campsite and pitch your tent for 3 days. There'll be few people. Take some food. There is a restaurant but it's not always open.

Option 3

Kanjanaburi celebrates Songkran on a different day. Well, it did a few years back and there is no water throwing in the town centre but it's water mayhem along the touristy street next to the river (Thanon Mae Nam Khwae).

Option 4

Book into an upmarket resort. I can't recommend any because I never stay in them.

Don't know if any of these help.

Well, as for insanity, the recent poll on this showed that opinions are pretty evenly split..

One Songkran we celebrated in Chiang Mai first, then went South on the 14th. This is still a VERY full-on day in Chiang Mai. Yet we got to Phuket, taking all the precautions to keep bags inside and windows locked, but.................. NOTHING!!!! Not a drop of water. Southerners wouldn't know a good party if it bit them in the behind. :o HOWEVER: It's okay-ish on the beach, but inland areas are so hot I couldn't believe it. Like we left the car at some national park in the Krabi / Pha -Nga area, thought "what the.................. [(#*&$(&()&)*(@#] is this!?" and got the @(*(@* back in the car.

Then there's Malaysia of course, with the Air Asia flights it's just as cheap as going anywhere else in Thailand.

But if you want to stay in the North.... Songkran is EVERYWHERE and it's a good thing!!! :D Chances are that with fewer tourists around, you'll be MORE of a target if you go to, say, Phrae or Phayao or something. (Once drove to Phayao and it was every bit as insane as Chiang mai, perhaps more so. I still want to get back there sooner or later for Songkran.