Pattaya Vientiane Bus

Gaudente

according to this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103096 Khun Bob says:

"Public Bank Laos gives 16% on LAK, no witholding tax and not difficult to open an account. Quite a few foreign banks in Vientiane..."

Checked the Laos Central Bank site http://www.bol.gov.la/ and official inflation is 5% only.

So as my last 30 days VISA expires 18 Febr, I was thinking to go to Vientiane to check if this can be a good investment besides asking for a 60 days tourist visa at local Thai Embassy.

I was thinking to go there by bus so to be free to come back whenever I prefer, without being bound to a fixed return flight.

Is this solution feasible ? Does a "Pattaya Vientiane" bus exist ? Where should I enquire ?

Is it possible to get just to the Laos frontier and purchase Laos VISA there and then pick another bus (or mototaxi or whatever )to Vientiane ?

Also I unfortunately suffer from a bladder neck insufficiency that forces me to go to the bathroom each 4 hours.

Will the bus make some stops along the 8-9 hours journey ? Or there's a "toilet sort of" on the bus ?

Thx in advance for your help. :o

Edited by Gaudente

Gaudente, Pattaya has a bus service to Nong Khai which is on the border. The buses leave from the Petronas service Station on Sukhumvit, go up Pattaya Klang and turn left into Sukhumvit and the servo is on the left just up from the corner.

There are different standards of services but I am not 100% sure if any have toilets on board but usually the VIP buses do. I did a trip from there to Khon Kaen last year on a non toilet bus. There were very few stops and would not suit you. Ask and make sure they have toilets on board, if not I would suggest a train from BKK. It will be a long trip by the way, Khon Kaen was 10 hours.

On arrival at Nong Khai you can take a tuk tuk to the border and buy a Laos visa on arrival then you can take a tuk tuk to Vientane on the Lao side.

Are you saying you can get 16% on a Lao Kip deposit in Vientiane? What would you want to do with that kip after the interest is paid? You can only spend it in Laos, nobody wants Laos Kip outside of Laos. Anyhow, hope the info helps.

Are you saying you can get 16% on a Lao Kip deposit in Vientiane? What would you want to do with that kip after the interest is paid? You can only spend it in Laos, nobody wants Laos Kip outside of Laos. Anyhow, hope the info helps.

Indeed the investment makes sense ONLY IF the Kip is a CONVERTIBLE currency and you are allowed to convert it back to THB or USD or whatever and IF YOU ARE ALLOWED to wire your money + interests out of the country once the deposit expires. Being Laos a communist state, I am well aware that possibly both things above could not be that way. I am going there just to investigate and see if it is an opportunity or a big no-no.