Protecting Assets Before Divorce

anim0888

I've been married for 4 yrs now, with one child. Its come to an end and I am now building a case against my Thai wife, and plan to divorce in about 6 to 12 months. In this time I need to protect my assets.

I have heard that I can register a company in the UK, to own my three oversees properties, which would mean that they would not be up for grabs in an unamicable divorce. My wife can keep my thai house, no probs.

I am seeing a solicitor in Hong Kong about this next week, but just wondered if anybody out there knows about this and can share their experience.

I've been married for 4 yrs now, with one child. Its come to an end and I am now building a case against my Thai wife, and plan to divorce in about 6 to 12 months. In this time I need to protect my assets.

I have heard that I can register a company in the UK, to own my three oversees properties, which would mean that they would not be up for grabs in an unamicable divorce. My wife can keep my thai house, no probs.

I am seeing a solicitor in Hong Kong about this next week, but just wondered if anybody out there knows about this and can share their experience.

I have more questions than answers based on what you wrote:

Is an amicable agreement to get divorced at the Thai Amphur not an option?

Will she or you be pushing for a divorce under UK Law?

What custody rights / access rights are you seeking with your child?

What assets and funds did you accumulate prior to the wedding and what have you accumulated during the marriage?

Why are you buying property 'before' the divorce is complete and settled?

It's quite difficult to offer you any sound advice without filling in some gaps first but personally, throwing your money offshore would give you far greater protection until the divorce is settled, then you can do what you like and it will make you a smaller target should she wish to come after you through the UK courts.

sell all the properties better if not with a dummy UK company, although you may have emotional links with them.

Hide the cash in HK or Singapore or Channel Islands as you wish.

Do all these operations at least 12 months before divorce (law says 6 perhaps, better be safe than sorry)

If the case, keep up your marriage till everything is 1000% settled, try to play the part of the hubby who wants to try everything not to divorce.

If you're lucky she will divorce asap and in this case you may reach a good agreement on the child too and assets

Is an amicable agreement to get divorced at the Thai Amphur not an option?

Will she or you be pushing for a divorce under UK Law?

What custody rights / access rights are you seeking with your child?

What assets and funds did you accumulate prior to the wedding and what have you accumulated during the marriage?

Why are you buying property 'before' the divorce is complete and settled?

The Thai Amphur is a good option, and a way I would like to go in the summer if possible. We did get married in Thailand and the child was born there, though we live in HK now. She has been collecting evidence against me for a while now, photographs of girl friends, credit card stubs when I was sleeping and possible other things. If she went to the courts here for custody etc, I would lose, sure. Especially since she would get legal aid and a competant solicitor. I want custody of my child, number 1, and not lose everything to the ex in a settlement. My two proerties in HK were bought after marriage by wealth accumulated before it and during. I am not buying any more.

Duke69

I here what you are saying and agree, but six months is gonna be hel_l, but twelve would be worse than that.

Her behaviour is even more irrational than ever, locking herself in her room for days, always tired, not taking my child to kindergarten when I'm at work, impossible to talk to with her screaming at me like a banshee. Although she does have some good days when I stay well away from her, dont complain about housework and keep my trap shut.

Having read what you've posted it seems to me your concern ought to be getting your child away from your wife. Her behaviour, as reported, is not exactly the best example for a child, nor providing the best environment.

Securing custody of your child would in anycase, under English and Scottish law, provide you with a claim for the majority of the marrital wealth you share with your wife.