Interview Uk Embassy ?

Hello All,

I am attempting to gain UK citizenship for my son born mid 2004 in Thailand but did not legally marry till Jan 2006 here in BKK, although I am noted as the father on the birth certificate.

I have an interview (with my wife) booked at the UK embassy with the Nationality Officer to assert my paternity and also I think to determine my domicile at the time of marriage. Can anyone tell me roughly what questions they are going to as my wife, should I bring along a lawyer, what they will ask me or any advice experience they can offer concerning this interview ?

Thanks,

Bob

I did this recently, though my daughter's in her teens now.

The interview wasn't really an interview as such. The officer simply pointed out answers on the form (submitted some weeks previously) that needed further clarification. There wasn't much so we were in and out in 5-10 minutes. The officer was extremely friendly but I don't think she has any input into the official process, so it was very relaxed and informal. The wife was extremely pleased to be told she doesn't look old enough to have a teenage daughter (I don't think that was any kind of trick interview technique as she has all the documentary evidence in front of her).

We're now waiting for the decision to come back from London. The documents say 8 weeks but she told us it's more likely to be 10.

Well, that's quite incredible. Hardly finished typing and the embassy have rung to say that the birth certificate is ready for collection. Well under 8 weeks. Happy days!!

Edited by Tarragona

Bob,

The interview is for the purposes of establishing that even though you may be living in Thailand, your legal domicile is still the UK. You must, therefore, satisfy the interviewing officer that you still regard the UK as your permanent home.

More information can be found on the Home Office website:-

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents...ile?view=Binary

Scouse.

Bob,

The interview is for the purposes of establishing that even though you may be living in Thailand, your legal domicile is still the UK. You must, therefore, satisfy the interviewing officer that you still regard the UK as your permanent home.

More information can be found on the Home Office website:-

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents...ile?view=Binary

Scouse.

Scouse,

I am aware of the purpose of the interview just worried about it's scope especially if questioning my wife. Apart from the obvious question like is this your son and this your husband ? Is the interview in English only or will they switch to Thai for my wife ?

I believe (and please correct me if I am wrong) that Home Office is attempting to determine my domicile at the time we we married rather than right now today ? If my domicile at the time of marriage is determined to be UK then this "legitimises" my child allowing him to be registered as UK citizen ?

Bob

Bob, have you already submitted the questionnaire?

I had much the same questions as you before I went for my interview, so I was surprised that the officer basically did not ask us anything - she just pointed out one question that I had overlooked. We signed the paternity declarations in front of her and that was the only active part my wife took. My impression was that the decision would be taken in the UK based solely on the documents.

That's correct, Bob. Within the instructions contained in the link above is a description of the standard of proof. Essentially, it is assumed that your domicile is the UK unless you try and assert otherwise, so a simple statement by you that you still consider the UK to be your permanent home should be sufficient. I don't think they'll ask your wife too many questions, if at all.

8.2 ..........In practice this can mean that, while a range of evidence will normally be needed to show that a change of domicile has occurred, a single piece of evidence may be enough to show that there has been no change of domicile (e.g. a statement by the person concerned that there was no intention of making the place in question his or her permanent home).

Scouse.

Bob, have you already submitted the questionnaire?

I had much the same questions as you before I went for my interview, so I was surprised that the officer basically did not ask us anything - she just pointed out one question that I had overlooked. We signed the paternity declarations in front of her and that was the only active part my wife took. My impression was that the decision would be taken in the UK based solely on the documents.

Tarragona,

No I have not submitted my questionnaire yet (I have a few weeks until the interview date later in April). I am just a bit worried about the UK Home Office determining my domicile since I have moved around quite a bit in the last 7 years but still maintained close family contacts.

Bob

Edited by bobdange

That's correct, Bob. Within the instructions contained in the link above is a description of the standard of proof. Essentially, it is assumed that your domicile is the UK unless you try and assert otherwise, so a simple statement by you that you still consider the UK to be your permanent home should be sufficient. I don't think they'll ask your wife too many questions, if at all.
8.2 ..........In practice this can mean that, while a range of evidence will normally be needed to show that a change of domicile has occurred, a single piece of evidence may be enough to show that there has been no change of domicile (e.g. a statement by the person concerned that there was no intention of making the place in question his or her permanent home).

Scouse.

Ok Scouse,

Since I have been living abroad for quite some time now, own no UK property, only visited back to the UK a couple of times I am worried that this may be taken as a "range of evidence". On the plus side I always have close family contacts and my financials were always based in the UK. Would these two positive items of evidence + a statement indicating I had no intention to change domicile carry sufficient weight to balance out the other negative factors ?

Bob