Why You Hiding Behind A Mask?

Andrew Hicks

I think we all use nicknames to hide in one aspect or an other but I also hope there is abit of ones personality or reason when we pick the name we login under. That is enless they are just sneaking in to troll or flame someone or everyone. I have found with the standoffish of the internet some almost feel they are free of having to be polite and have some god given right to be rude as there is not direct penalties.

Good statement. Unfortunatly people who use forums to insult would never have the nerve to say these things in real life but wouldalso use your own info to hurt you.

I am sure 99% of the off color things said to me would never be spoken to my face and this includes Mods.

cuz yer pretty tough right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we all use nicknames to hide in one aspect or an other but I also hope there is abit of ones personality or reason when we pick the name we login under. That is enless they are just sneaking in to troll or flame someone or everyone. I have found with the standoffish of the internet some almost feel they are free of having to be polite and have some god given right to be rude as there is not direct penalties.

Good statement. Unfortunatly people who use forums to insult would never have the nerve to say these things in real life but wouldalso use your own info to hurt you.

I am sure 99% of the off color things said to me would never be spoken to my face and this includes Mods.

cuz yer pretty tough right?

Only God knows my real name when he calls on me to kill people who post nasty things. I've killed 3 this week for him. Beware, I hear voices and they don't like nasty posters. :o

Hello Andrew,

I am another one that will not hide behind a mask.

I have started a few threads asking perfectly reasonable questions as well as responded to existing threads with my thought on the issue. Invariably, someone using a pseudonym will blast me, insult me and/or laugh at my point of view. I, in return, lower myself to their level and blast back using whatever insult seems appropriate. Needless to say, their trail of insults persists.

I dare say that these anonymous posters would not be so bold as to say these things to my face. This is why they will not use their real names. As I ponder this, I think these people are intelligent in at least one regard. If I knew who they were & happened to run up on one in Chiang Mai, the outcome might not be so pleasant.

I fully anticipate a volley of insults from some of the members. Know in advance no response will be forthcoming so feel tough & let loose the tirade. You will have to wallow in the mud by yourself.

I have decided that this will be my last post on ThaiVisa. I have a very bad taste in my mouth regarding this "forum thing" in general. From this day forward I will read this forum for news and search for answers to specific questions only.

Good luck to you, Andrew Hicks. Good on you for not hiding.

Dear T Lloyd

Almost brings tears to my eyes. Please don't play The Last Post yet. We men of principle must stick together. (Or are you a bit of tottie?)

From all the comments, I'm beginning to feel it's pretty dirty out there and I'm almost running scared. If I know they've broken you, I don't know what I'll do ut here alone.

But seriously, maybe the rules should require a real name from all verbal gladiators. It might clean up the collective act.

And by the way, are you that bastard, Tony Lloyd I used to work for because if you are, I'm out to get you and I'm not going to rest til I find you! For two years you made my life a misery...

Andy, stop being a tool.You are as funny as polio.Nice little troll though....

classic chucky, :D

stop being a tool . :o:D :D

han'nt heard that one for a while. :D

Hello Andrew,

I have started a few threads asking perfectly reasonable questions as well as responded to existing threads with my thought on the issue. Invariably, someone using a pseudonym will blast me, insult me and/or laugh at my point of view. I, in return, lower myself to their level and blast back using whatever insult seems appropriate. Needless to say, their trail of insults persists.

I dare say that these anonymous posters would not be so bold as to say these things to my face. This is why they will not use their real names. As I ponder this, I think these people are intelligent in at least one regard. If I knew who they were & happened to run up on one in Chiang Mai, the outcome might not be so pleasant.

I fully anticipate a volley of insults from some of the members. Know in advance no response will be forthcoming so feel tough & let loose the tirade. You will have to wallow in the mud by yourself.

I have decided that this will be my last post on ThaiVisa. I have a very bad taste in my mouth regarding this "forum thing" in general. From this day forward I will read this forum for news and search for answers to specific questions only.

They must have finished filming Rambo ........

Hello Andrew,

They must have finished filming Rambo ........

Tloyd, have you tried Listerine? It works for me.

Brit, nice to see you back!

Cheers for the sentiment mate! Not exactly happy to be back, but suppose thats life for you!!! :o

I was getting worried Brit, you almost had a thread started about you. I know it can get a bit dodgy down that Soi Katoey! :D

Well only been to Soi Katoey twice last July, amazingly enough I had quite a laff thanks to JD and Firefan. :D

If someone gets pissed off with you on this forum and they know your name and address then they can cause you problems, so anonymous is the best way, or at least a degree of anonymity. Someone who used to post on here had another poster contact the school where they worked and tried to cause them some trouble once.

In 3 posts we now have your name and your location Andrew, you probably would not be hard to find. It's fair enough saying you are not scared to share your opinions but some people don't just leave arguments on the board. It's for your own 'safety' really.

Best advice to you is to ask an admin to change your name, it may sound silly but there's a lot of <deleted> out there.

I'm with bkk on this. We have been around too long to see things start off nicey nicey and then goes tits up. BTW welcome.

If someone gets pissed off with you on this forum and they know your name and address then they can cause you problems, so anonymous is the best way, or at least a degree of anonymity. Someone who used to post on here had another poster contact the school where they worked and tried to cause them some trouble once.

In 3 posts we now have your name and your location Andrew, you probably would not be hard to find. It's fair enough saying you are not scared to share your opinions but some people don't just leave arguments on the board. It's for your own 'safety' really.

Best advice to you is to ask an admin to change your name, it may sound silly but there's a lot of <deleted> out there.

Very sound comments and advice on a topic to which the answers you have given should be obvious.

obviously,out of every thousand people or so theres going to be the odd psycho.the type who gets off on causing people problems.people you,d be better off not knowing.

For every 1000 people on an internet forum, I would suggest there are many more nutters than the "odd psycho". :o

Brit, nice to see you back!

Cheers for the sentiment mate! Not exactly happy to be back, but suppose thats life for you!!! :o

I was getting worried Brit, you almost had a thread started about you. I know it can get a bit dodgy down that Soi Katoey! :D

Well only been to Soi Katoey twice last July, amazingly enough I had quite a laff thanks to JD and Firefan. :D

I was well behaved and left FAR earlier than you guys!

one last thing, what if he's NOT who he says?

Which is identity theft! You can get 5-10 in th big house (tiger) for that mate!

I've not nicked nobody's identity, mate, and I'm not hiding neither. I appreciate the warnings and I've learned much form since starting this thread though.

As somebody's said on another thread, all you have to do is Google 'Andrew Hicks Bangkok' and there it is I guess. Maybe I'll try it as a means of self-discovery

All Yours,

Andrew

I made this name back in 2002 when I bought my Mustang GT, I created it for a mustang website. My Car is Black and her name is Artemis, often times people make forum names to hide behind but to show a bit about themselves. O well, who really cares?

"Hi! We're from the Internet" :o

I'm new to Thai Visa and I assume that what people post is relevant to the topic. This thread's about anonymity so I guess the nice pic's of the person posting. But which one is Mr Andook?

Pom mai khao jai.... Crap

Andrew

That's me in the chicken costume. Rather aptly, as I'm using an assumed "user name" to post in an internet forum; which is cowardly, unmanly, and snide obviously. :D

[

This topic is a complete waste of bandwidth & electricity. :o

el kangorito, thank you for helping raise the bar with this insightful post.

but, may i ask, how does the rest of thaivisa exempt itself from the shade of this wide umbrella you have just opened?

i have my own opinions on the matter though some here have been gold. does using your real initials count as a mask of anonymity or is it more like you have a do-rag tied across the lower half of your face?

Edited by t.s

I wonder if it's just Thailand related forums where people commonly use nicknames.

Like it doesn't happen on forums about airplanes, pets or technical support.

Then again I do see nick-names in more teenage oriented forums.

So... are we all just juvenile here? Even respectable expat lady members use nicknames it seems.

Andrew Hicks huh.......

Your book sucks, but I have to admit that it burned very well :o:D

AlexLah,

You must be a Singaporean.

Good to burn my book as then it doesn't get into the secondhand market.

Or you could give it as a present to someone you really dislike.

Only jerking,

Andrew

AlexLah... is he a waste of space?

Just kidding na, na, na

Alex (Yes that is my real name)

Ha ha ha, Andrew,

I think you are familiar with the phrase: By way of deception?

No, I am not a Singaporean.

What new novel are you working on right now?

I am surprised you can make a living of it, as your last one dates a few years back.

What have you been doing all that time, chasing Uni students?

:o

Take care,

Alex