Where To Buy Thick Greek Style Yogurt?

Since arriving in Thailand around two years ago, I have been scouring the supermarkets for real thick genuine

'greek style' yogurt, made with ordinary full fat cows milk.

Nearest I found so far is one in Villa Supermarket on Ploenchit, a large pot for around 4 euros, but it is still low fat and thickened with tapioca starch. Imported from Australia. Although nice, it is nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Not thinking of eating it morning noon and night but the genuine stuff, made with full fat milk is incomparable to any other. Delicious for breakfast with honey drizzled over the top.

I have seen something similar at Foodland and other supermarkets, think it's called homemade yougurt. It's in a plastic jar with a red plastic screw on lid. It comes in normal or fat free.

Or make yourself. Use fresh milk, NOT UHT, add cream if you like or mix up some powdered milk to whatever thickness you like.

Add one natural yogurt from the store, Nestle, Foremost..

Mix in a bowl, cover and leave in the shade for 2 days, put in the fridge overnight, ready to eat next morning.

Save some to start your next batch with.

Since arriving in Thailand around two years ago, I have been scouring the supermarkets for real thick genuine

Nearest I found so far is one in Villa Supermarket on Ploenchit, a large pot for around 4 euros, but it is still low fat and thickened with tapioca starch. Imported from Australia. Although nice, it is nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Not thinking of eating it morning noon and night but the genuine stuff, made with full fat milk is incomparable to any other. Delicious for breakfast with honey drizzled over the top.

HEY HEY HEY....finally something I can help with (sort of). Tops Marketplace has something very close. I don't recall the brand name, but it's a "set" yogurt....no other ingredients, no sweeteners, nuttin'. As close to traditional as you'll find.

If that won't work.....you can make your own pretty easily. Google it for recipes.

CHEERS!

D

• 3 months later...

HEY HEY HEY....finally something I can help with (sort of). Tops Marketplace has something very close. I don't recall the brand name, but it's a "set" yogurt....no other ingredients, no sweeteners, nuttin'. As close to traditional as you'll find.

If that won't work.....you can make your own pretty easily. Google it for recipes.

CHEERS!

D

I am not sure you might have seen the Yolida Yoghurt or the Bulgarian Yoghurt?

In my opion, Yolida is sweeter than the Bulgarian one.

I remember from aeons ago the delicious greek yoghurt I ate in tavernas in Crete and the mainland too - made with sheeps' milk. Rich, a soft skin formed across the top. Some people disliked the skin, I liked it. And yes, with honey - in my case poured, rather than dizzled, on it.

I think in early days of greek toghurt in england some shops, even supermarkets, sold something similar. But subsequently the creamy, flowing, skinless type was considered more sellable on the mass market.

Maybe the Bulgarian stuff is more like the original. Would like to find it; anywhere to be seen in the north - Chiang Rai/Mai?

I remember from aeons ago the delicious greek yoghurt I ate in tavernas in Crete and the mainland too - made with sheeps' milk. Rich, a soft skin formed across the top. Some people disliked the skin, I liked it. And yes, with honey - in my case poured, rather than dizzled, on it.

I think in early days of greek toghurt in england some shops, even supermarkets, sold something similar. But subsequently the creamy, flowing, skinless type was considered more sellable on the mass market.

Maybe the Bulgarian stuff is more like the original. Would like to find it; anywhere to be seen in the north - Chiang Rai/Mai?

The Bulgarian Yoghurts are manifactured in my home town, Chiang Mai. I see them in the Rimping, Tops and Kaserm Stores... and in my last trip to Bangkok they were displyed in the Tops marketplace. However i did not seen them in the Villas nor the Market Place yet...

I prefer those Bulgarian stuffsthe BIG plain yoghurt (500 gms) with some additional honey mix into them.

Just Yummy :o

• 3 years later...