Coronavirus: Tourism in Thailand hit by Covid-19

webfact

Coronavirus: Tourism in Thailand hit by Covid-19

By Jonathan Head

South East Asia correspondent

_111212053_beachphuket-2020099.jpg

Tourists have deserted Thailand over coronavirus fears//Image copyright JONATHAN HEAD

Over the past 25 years, Thailand has experienced a spectacular economic crash (1997), a tsunami (2004), coups (2006, 2014), the occupation of its main international airport by protesters (2008) and serious political violence (2010).

Yet the statistics speak for themselves. In 1960 around 80,000 foreign tourists came here.

Last year it reached 39 million, earning more than $60bn (£46bn) for Thailand, and indirectly contributing around one fifth of the country's national income.

The country's tourism sector was considered so robust that the country got the nickname "Teflon Thailand". Yet of those 39 million tourists last year, more than 10 million were Chinese.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51796812

bbc.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2020-03-13
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Nice photo,reminds me of when i first came in 1989,Lamai on Samui was just a small village,i went back a few years ago,it was like a city.

LOL:
i spent 2 months on samui in Lamai in 84, my last trip in 2014, we couldn't find our way to Chaweang beach with all the buildings.

after 2 nights on the island couldn't get out fast enough

• Like 2

1 hour ago, curious297 said:

I just finished watching Contagion (2011). Very similar to what social effects the coronavirus has. Too near to reality for my liking. Watch the trailer HERE, Whats your thoughts?

It's a good flick. They've obviously had a good advisor, likely from CDC. Worth watching as it reiterates many points that we're seeing unfolding now. 

23 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

LOL:
i spent 2 months on samui in Lamai in 84, my last trip in 2014, we couldn't find our way to Chaweang beach with all the buildings.

after 2 nights on the island couldn't get out fast enough

I rented a house there from 89-91 it was as close to paradise as I have found, landlord wanted me to buy the land house was on, turned him down as 1 million Baht seemed a ridiculous price for only two Rai of beach front land! ????

Last time I was there ten years or so ago ???? ruined!

29 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It's a good flick. They've obviously had a good advisor, likely from CDC. Worth watching as it reiterates many points that we're seeing unfolding now. 

It is called Predictive Programming !

1 hour ago, Redline said:

I doubt Thailand will ever recover.  They will have let China take over

I feel the same as you , much to my dismay , I love my family here and my two villages here have respect for me on how I treat people here. It is going to be a great loss to the folks of Thailand when they rename this country Chiland. I feel so bad for these folks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

I feel the same as you , much to my dismay , I love my family here and my two villages here have respect for me on how I treat people here. It is going to be a great loss to the folks of Thailand when they rename this country Chiland. I feel so bad for these folks.

Me too