Who's In Town?

chanchao

This week there seems an awful lot of temporary road closures due to convoys of some sort going past. it's getting really hard to avoid them and not get trapped/stuck..

Could it be the Crown Prince, who's in town anyway for the Ratchapat certificate thingy?

That may explain the congestion coming into town from around the zoo. So bad on Huay Kaew that three of us jumped the curb and drove on the sidewalk! I felt like I was in Bangkok.

If it was in Bangkok you would be seeing people doing it in a car - at least in CM it is normally restricted to bike riders :o

CB

Normally they're quite speedy at it, like only closing a road for 5 minutes or so while a convoy races past. But now... they're making a mess of it!!

I was happy to see it coming from some distance and was able to dive into a soi and get the heck out.

Just got jammed up at the San Kampaeng/Inner junction for 15-20 mins. Not nice! :o

did u happen to be driving a silver honda crv??? i got stuck there as well. with two of my kids jumping and screaming in the car.

its the prince's wife from what the thais tell me.

Was just leaving CM Orchid (next to Central) at 3 PM and a huge convoy of Highway Patrol, city cops and enough "brass hats" from all branches shut down Huay Kaew Rd., right in front of Central. I've seen lots of high speed security convoys on Huay Kaew before; this was something distinctly different. My guess is either the PM, or Gen Sonthi, or a royal family member....was going shopping.

Now is also the time to "Dam Hua" all the bosses and patrons who run businesses or sponsor organizations so many gatherings are in effect this week bringing in groups for larger, 'more important' groups.

I also think all the people from all points surrounding have arrived and filled up the streets that way as well. I'm on a scooter and I think the situation is ridiculous in some places. Sooooo crowded and backed up.... and then stuck right where the one or two early squirters are on Huay Kaew n Nimmanhaemin. Just as you'd have to expect, I suppose. In 2 days I'll let loose too.