Toyota Boosts Thai Truck Industry

ThaiGoon

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/04/15...nd.trucks.reut/

Toyota boosts Thai truck industry

POSTED: 0257 GMT (1057 HKT), April 15, 2007

BAN PHO, Thailand (Reuters) -- Executives at Toyota Motor's pristine new plant in a Bangkok suburb point out the factory is the first in Thailand to run on clean natural gas.

Equipped with robots and parts movers shuttling quietly on assembly floors, the $426 million facility shows Thailand's recent political turmoil has not dented global carmakers' positive views on the country.

Thailand is the world's biggest producer of one-ton trucks, with output projected at 853,000 units this year, outpacing the United States at 588,000 units, according to J.D. Power Automotive Forecasting.

Japanese and U.S. carmakers staying put

Although Thailand's image as an investment destination for global companies has taken a hit after a military coup in September, Japanese and U.S. carmakers are staying put.

Apart from Toyota, General Motors, Ford Motor, Nissan Motor, Mitsubishi Motors, Isuzu Motors and Mazda Motor have all opened factories here for export, mostly after Asia's 1997/98 economic crisis.

They have each invested to produce 140,000-180,000 trucks a year, shipping them to around 100 countries from Australia and the Middle East to Europe and Latin America.

But with most producers already established here, Thailand's surging export growth will ease off once output meets global demand, Automotive Resources Asia analyst May Arthapan said.

Thai governments have worked in recent years on proposals to provide generous incentives for global carmakers to invest in export-oriented facilities for small economy sedans, a move that would further develop South East Asia's biggest auto industry.

The auto sector is Thailand's second-biggest industry after computers and electronics, employing about 350,000 people and accounting for nearly 15 percent of gross domestic product.

What? No jokes or insulting comments or Thai bashings about this? :o

Most of them have got a Toyota !

Besides, there is no opportunity to bash Thailand in that story, now if it was that Toyota was pulling out of Thailand.....................there would have been 300 posts of expert opinions as to why it could only happen in Thailand.

What? No jokes or insulting comments or Thai bashings about this? :D

Most of them have got a Toyota !

Besides, there is no opportunity to bash Thailand in that story, now if it was that Toyota was pulling out of Thailand.....................there would have been 300 posts of expert opinions as to why it could only happen in Thailand.

Ahh I see, Maigo6. Now I understand. :o:D

Ahh I see, Maigo6. Now I understand. :o:D

The madness of Songkran and having to put up with the vile natives with water guns has them distracted; no doubt many are still in hiding, unaware that Songkran and water guns are no longer out in force* and are therefore unable to head down to the local internet shop to complain about how much they dislike it here, and how the economy is about to collapse once they leave.

* pattaya excluded and probably a few other places.

You folks sure don't have much of a life. Posting propaganda in hopes of a "net war." Wow Thailand makes Trucks, oh and exports Rice. Yuppee

Well, good, hopefully this awesome trend will continue, and Thailand just may, just may catch up to Cambodia in growth, despite what the World bank projected.

Thaigoon if you really are in America getting your free education through tax dollars, provided by falangs.... I know now why you are soo bitter. All those lonely nights by your yourself, because no girl will take you seriously over there.

Oh well, don't let it get you down. It is not forever, and just think when you get back, you can do your best to rid your nation of the evil falang invaders.

Japanese and U.S. carmakers staying put

Although Thailand's image as an investment destination for global companies has taken a hit after a military coup in September, Japanese and U.S. carmakers are staying put.

Apart from Toyota, General Motors, Ford Motor, Nissan Motor, Mitsubishi Motors, Isuzu Motors and Mazda Motor have all opened factories here for export, mostly after Asia's 1997/98 economic crisis.

What a nonsense this is. The factory was probably 99% complete when the coup happened, even if the junta were Burmese style, nobody would can the project at that stage, pack up and go.

Also, other factories were open before the coup.

Hope those already started (could not pull out, too late) will see their opening under new (elected) government and new ones follow after that.

You folks sure don't have much of a life. Posting propaganda in hopes of a "net war."

I know now why you are soo bitter.

Oh the irony... :D

PS. I have a Thai g/f. She's a doctor in Thailand. :D

PPS. Steve, you were so right. As soon as Songkran is over, they are back!!! :o:D

PS. I have a Thai g/f. She's a doctor in Thailand.

What are you 12 years old? You have a lot to learn, child. Doctor, singer, beggar, it aint about "position" in life. It is about the heart. You think the fact that she is a Doctor is going to WOW folks here where a bunch of falangs that live in Thailand and are for the most part, finished chaseing the mighty dollar. It would be like bragging to Bill Gates that you have a million dollars. Woooppee. Wow, you are a student for sure.

I'd say 99.9% of the girls here already know this, and that is why they are so succesfull at landing wealthy falangs. (or at least welthy in their eyes) They know falangs here do not give a flying fig about ones position in life, they just want a girl that gives them endless love, and tons of support. I have a woman that would open her viens if needed to sustain the life of her son.

Thems bragging rights, grasshopper.

BTW, now that Thailand can build more trucks, and do its part on creating polution machines, lets see Thailand can focus on more substantial things. But if Thailand's leaders have your mindset/attitude, nothing is going to change.

Well ThaiGoon you have your opinion, and in America, you get to voice it.... and while you are there you get to mooch off of tax payers.

So if falangs are so bad, & if falang land is so bad, what are you doing there in the first place? If Thailand is meca, and all things Thai are perfect, why could you not recieve a superior education within Thailand? Why are you harming yourself this way?

BTW, ask your doctor gf to prescribe you 200mg of reality a day, and at least 250mg of humility a day.

Further, you keep posting trash propaganda, and getting upset when no one responds to your bait. It took me a while to see a pattern. I think folks are just plain tired of you. Like you have pointed out before, I am not the brightest bulb. But at least I am not a student any more, and to reach my level of education..... you will be in the US for a long while. Mainly because Thialand does not even offer my degree. But hey... so what, Thailand's got rice and trucks as you have vehemently pointed out.

So go ahead bait me on back, there will be no response.... because the grasshopper has learnt me a lesson.

Thaigoon 49

Dackar 54

You folks sure don't have much of a life. Posting propaganda in hopes of a "net war."

I know now why you are soo bitter.

Oh the irony... :D

PS. I have a Thai g/f. She's a doctor in Thailand. :D

PPS. Steve, you were so right. As soon as Songkran is over, they are back!!! :D :D

I know, we discussed you and your wierd ideas in bed tonight... :o

sorry Thaigoon, the net effect of Toyota investment is zero....who will buy all those shiny new vehicles?

Thai auto sales down 15 pct yr-on-yr in March, dropping for 3rd mth in a row

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/20...afx3618882.html

besides, thailand will not be competitive with China auto production

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2...afx3618583.html

Edited by bingobongo

Well ThaiGoon you have your opinion, and in America, you get to voice it.... and while you are there you get to mooch off of tax payers.

So if falangs are so bad, & if falang land is so bad, what are you doing there in the first place? If Thailand is meca, and all things Thai are perfect, why could you not recieve a superior education within Thailand? Why are you harming yourself this way?

BTW, ask your doctor gf to prescribe you 200mg of reality a day, and at least 250mg of humility a day.

Further, you keep posting trash propaganda, and getting upset when no one responds to your bait. It took me a while to see a pattern. I think folks are just plain tired of you. Like you have pointed out before, I am not the brightest bulb. But at least I am not a student any more, and to reach my level of education..... you will be in the US for a long while. Mainly because Thialand does not even offer my degree. But hey... so what, Thailand's got rice and trucks as you have vehemently pointed out.

So go ahead bait me on back, there will be no response.... because the grasshopper has learnt me a lesson.

Thaigoon 49

Dackar 54

Dakhar, you seem to have maturity of a 6 year old. I don't really wanna waste my time arguing with you, but let me just say that I never said nor implied that Thailand is perfect. I was just asking for fair assessment or criticism of the country and the people. The cynicism of several people on here just disgusts me. That's all. Also, if you think I got upset when on one responded, you sure aren't "the brightest bulb" out there.

Edited by ThaiGoon

Thaigoon:

you're probably a nice guy...but are you sure nobody pays you to make propaganda for Thailand's economical sector ? :o

Most of your topics are pure PRO-propaganda. Nothing wrong with that of course but you're not much of a pragmatist or realist, since you just can't stand the comments on your topics if someone disagrees with you..... :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...ult_type=topics

But, obviously, don't let my words stop you.

Have fun.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

you are still dreaming Thaigoon, Thailand's competitiveness is nonexistent

don't let your ego (bias to thailand) get in the way of reality, you will just end up poorer (both financially and romantically)

EXCHANGE-RATE WOES

Strong baht blunts Thai edge

space.gif

Key index at worst level in almost eight years

The Kingdom's competitiveness has decreased to its lowest level in seven years and eight months in baht terms.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/04/18...ss_30032058.php

Edited by bingobongo

Thaigoon:

you're probably a nice guy...but are you sure nobody pays you to make propaganda for Thailand's economical sector ? :o

Most of your topics are pure PRO-propaganda. Nothing wrong with that of course but you're not much of a pragmatist or realist, since you just can't stand the comments on your topics if someone disagrees with you..... :D

Have fun.

LaoPo

LaoPo, you are probably a nice guy as well, but logic is probably not one of your stronger points. The reason that I've been posting those positive bits of news here and there was because almost every single news thread on here has always painted very negative images of Thailand and Thai people. They just sickened me. I just wanted to show that it's not all like that. It's still not all doom and gloom. There's still good and positive news about Thailand out there, and not all Thais are morons or incompetent idiots like some on here suggested. There still are very capable Thais who have recognized the same problems that you farangs have and have been trying to fix them. A real farang realist in Thailand probably would have recognized all these without me having to post any positive news about Thailand anyway.

Edited by ThaiGoon

and not all Thais are morons or incompetent idiots like some on here suggested.

ThaiGoon, I can see where you are coming from, but it's the way Forums are.

If you go to popular Japanese based Forums that are used mainly by Gaijins ( Farangs ), you will see the same type of posts, The Japanese are useless, Gaijin are much more capable etc etc.......

In reality these same guys that seem to continually run Thailand and Thai people down, must think Thailand is not such a bad place to be, otherwise they would not be here.

And to the people who state that all Thai people are stupid, ask them if their wife or GF is Thai, and was her stupidity one of the things that attracted her to them. In some cases that may be true.

And of course, there are many that post on this Forum who are not in Thailand at all, and some who would have a problem locating Thailand on a map of South East Asia :D

I'm a Farang too, usually I'm on the Thai side of the fence in these internet exchanges, many people have even accused me of being a racist...lol....thinking I'm Thai. :D

ThaiGoon, don't take it all too serious, just smile in the knowledge that many of the same guys who are running Thailand down, actually like Thailand a lot, so much so, they left their own country to live in Thailand.

They cannot own land, visa costs have gone up, exchange rates are crap, yet they still buy houses, still buy visas, and still change money into Thai Baht. So I suppose this gives them the right to moan about the very things that they choose to do. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Cheers maigo6. I hope you are right about these people.

I'm a Farang too, usually I'm on the Thai side of the fence in these internet exchanges, many people have even accused me of being a racist...lol....thinking I'm Thai.
:o Maigo6, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same people who are accusing me of spreading progaganda by trying to point out there's still good news about the country out there.
And to the people who state that all Thai people are stupid, ask them if their wife or GF is Thai, and was her stupidity one of the things that attracted her to them. In some cases that may be true.

:D :D

Bingo,

those cars are now being directed for export.

thailand is in a pivotal position as they are central to a great region which will continue to boom with all the ups and downs that are associated with it.

as well, thailand is a wealth of cultural export with thier music, movies and all things thai to all the sourrounding countries.

give us another country in the region with so much cultural export.

i support thaigoon as somebody needs to be a realist among all the pesimists who have been burned when things didn't go their way.

cheers thaigoon

keep up the spirit

Thaigoon:

you're probably a nice guy...but are you sure nobody pays you to make propaganda for Thailand's economical sector ? :D

Have fun.

LaoPo

LaoPo, you are probably a nice guy as well, but logic is probably not one of your stronger points. The reason that I've been posting those positive bits of news here and there was because almost every single news thread on here has always painted very negative images of Thailand and Thai people. They just sickened me. I just wanted to show that it's not all like that. It's still not all doom and gloom. There's still good and positive news about Thailand out there, and not all Thais are morons or incompetent idiots like some on here suggested. There still are very capable Thais who have recognized the same problems that you farangs have and have been trying to fix them. A real farang realist in Thailand probably would have recognized all these without me having to post any positive news about Thailand anyway.

:o Keep the good news coming, Thaigoon; as I said nothing wrong with that.

But, realists look at both positive and negative news.

Thailand has been on the positive news-side for decades and that's why LOS has now some 13/14 million tourists per year, despite the Tsunami, Birds' desease, Coups etc.

That doesn't mean 'we' should praise everything what's happening in the present -and past- governments....

You show a perfect example of the Ostrich-syndrom, putting your head in the sand for negative news by merely showing positive -business- news. But I repeat, nothing wrong with that.

Just don't close your eyes for the red lights.

That's called logic... :D

LaoPo

What? No jokes or insulting comments or Thai bashings about this? :D

Okay, if you really insist. :o

Thoses news are indeed good news. But the broader picture needs to be seen.

Yesterday, we learned that cars sales continue to plunge in Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30032039

So eventually, a hub to build cars that local people won't be able to... buy anymore. I'm not sure that we can be proud of this.

Furthermore... we need to understand how is working BOI...

With BOI you get tax exemption (customs duties, VAT and income tax) on :

-the machines imported for the factories

-then on parts and raw material (that will be used to manufacture goods sold at export)

-then at the end of the process... tax cut on the profits made at export

Furthermore, the japanese companies in thailand are buying raw materials and parts... from themselves, off shore. By doing this, they can "exfiltrate" part of their margins, and reduce their local income tax base.

To sum'up : car industry in thailand is said to be 15 % of the GDP of the country.

Great.

But for what % of total collected corporate taxes in Thailand ?

I'm wondering why the thai authorities are not shouting thoses numbers in public...

However, we can't deny that this industry provides jobs (350 000), and create network of thais SME (local suppliers etc.).

As for the "technology transferts" (one of the goal of BOI)... well I don't have information about that. Maybe, because it's purely fictitious....

But eventually, the thai scheme is wrong. I mean : incomplete.

The Chinese are smarter : they have foreign car companies too. But they are developping their own 100 % chinese car industry (Geely, Chery, Changfeng)

And... it works. Last month Chery Automobile became the first Chinese auto maker to... top the domestic car sales list.

http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=14000

Another example : in march, China made it very clear : they will developp their own airplanes industry. The needs are so incredibly huge... that only stupid europeans (Airbus) and dreaming american (Boeing) can believe that China will leave them this market...

Back to Thailand : the gvt is far, far behind this kind of audacious thinking and planing.

They prefer, like you do Thaigoon, to be able to show comfortable, sweet -but misleading- figures and numbers.

It pays on the short term. But on the long term, it's not sure.

Thaigoon, and other dreamers......

Thailand hits bottom of regional economies

Thailand currently occupies the lowest rung on Southeast Asia's economic growth ladder after a poor 2006 performance, according to a United Nations report which :o forecasts even lower expansion this year. :D

The report, released on Wednesday, said that the kingdom achieved only 5.0 per cent GDP growth in 2006, compared to its 4.5 per cent growth in 2005.

While the Thai economy rose marginally, the forecast for the coming year is that Thai GDP growth is expected to be lower in 2007 than 2006, at 4.7 per cent, pressure for the baht's appreciation will likely continue, and investment looks gloomy, with only Indonesia performing more poorly in the region.

The United Nations Economic Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNEscap) in its annual economic and social survey, "Surging Ahead in Uncertain Times", unveiled in a press conference at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand, noted that for the eighth year the region grew faster in regard to economy than any other region worldwide, registering 7.9 per cent growth in 2006, up from 7.6 per cent in 2005, but that Thailand isn't in the same picture.

A wait-and-see attitude among foreign investors and "ongoing political tensions" mean that Thailand's macroeconomic outlook will be "subject to greater downside risks than other southeast Asian economies."

However, Thailand leads much of the Asian region in gender equality, while South Asia lags behind, according to UNEscap Emerging Social Issues chief Thelma Kay, who said that in government and business Thai women occupy more powerful positions and that access to meaningful employment and educational opportunities is better in Thailand than most other countries in the region.

According to UNEscap deputy executive secretary Shigeru Mochida, "Thailand is such an important country in the region, and in the world, that everybody is watching and hoping that everything will be settled very soon (as the post-coup d'etat government intends) and that we can expect a predictable regime and stable economic policies."

The United Nations Economic Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNEscap) annual economic and social survey, "Surging Ahead in Uncertain Times", noted that for the eighth consecutive year the region grew faster in regard to economy than any other region worldwide, registering 7.9 per cent growth in 2006, up from 7.6 per cent in 2005, but that Thailand isn't in the same picture.

While not directly addressing the capital controls measures imposed by the Bank of Thailand in December last year, Escap predicted that exchange rate management will be the region's biggest challenge through the year, and anticipates the need to recast major regional currencies to appreciate due to capital inflows and imbalances in the US economy. Central banks throughout the region can choose any two of three policy options, according to the report, targeting exchange rates, having an independent monetary policy, or keeping capital accounts open – but not all three at the same time.

Escap sees greats exchange rate flexibility as one sustainable solution that would take away the "one-way bet" that encourages speculative capital inflows.

Shortages of capital funds are hindering the recovery of private investment in Thailand, Mr. Kumar explained, as well as other countries in East Asia. Credit shortage was evident in the kingdom as the share of individual consumption loans rose from 12 per cent during 2000-2005 as compasred to 24 per cent by mid-2006.

Six major possible downside risks are identified: an oil price shock; an abrupt cooling of US housing markets; a disorderly unwinding of global imbalances; a reversal of Japans' emergency economic recovery; economic "overheating" in China; and an avian flu pandemic.

UNEscap says that Thailand is, like many neighbours, increasingly vulnerable to a new currency crisis, comparing the situation to that of the 1997 economic crisis -- but without saying that such a crisis will occur.

Thailand's vulnerability , like other regional crisis-hit countries, "is due to appreciation of the currency driven by short-term capital inflows, and inflation in the economy from higher oil prices.

UNEscap economist Raj Kumar noted that the Thai market responded to oil price pressures with a 1.5 per cent fall in oil consumption, despite 5 per cent economic growth.

The survey also said that gender inequality causes the region to lose US$42-47 billion annually due to restrictions on women's access to employment and another US$16-30 billion a year because of limits to women's educational access.

Much of the economic uncertainty is an unfavourable external environment, largely due to the slowing of the US economy and "a modest decline in global electronics demand," the report notes, giving the Asia-Pacific region high marks with continued dynamism "despite risks of further oil price shocks and a sharp depreciation of the US dollar."

The survey warns that interventions by monetary authorities to keep currencies down are leading to inflated asset values, especially in housing and equity markets.

Some 16 per cent of GDP and more than one-third of overall world economic growth is taking place in Asia, according to the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNEscap).

"The three big Asian economic – China, India and Japan – will maintain the growth momentum and may provide good opportunities to other countries," UNEscap executive secretary Kim Hak-Su said before the launch.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=118176

:o Keep the good news coming, Thaigoon; as I said nothing wrong with that.

But, realists look at both positive and negative news.

Thailand has been on the positive news-side for decades and that's why LOS has now some 13/14 million tourists per year, despite the Tsunami, Birds' desease, Coups etc.

That doesn't mean 'we' should praise everything what's happening in the present -and past- governments....

You show a perfect example of the Ostrich-syndrom, putting your head in the sand for negative news by merely showing positive -business- news. But I repeat, nothing wrong with that.

Just don't close your eyes for the red lights.

That's called logic... :D

LaoPo

LaoPo, you need to get a mirror. :D And I don't need to post any more negative news when 99% of the news here is always negative anyway. Please think a bit LaoPo, and please go get a mirror as well. :D