Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

And you KNOW all this how????.

Basic knowledge and common sense I'm afraid.

Here's a previous model with some basic mods doing a shown 180kph.

which would be 20kph faster than what the newer version is said to get to. and bikes rarely (never?) get to their publicised top speed. (Has anyone here gotten a stock 150 to 160kph?

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

And where in Thailand, and how often, would the average guy want to do 180kph on a CBR 150?? Not too many are even remotely interested in that.

Going by your reasoning.....rather than the CBR150 you are better playing with an NSR150 far faster than a CBR any day. But of course you will be continuosly working on it, which some enjoy.

Except for the very few .........most guys want exactely what the stock CBR delivers. (new or old model) Dont want any mods. Loud exhusts etc that make you "think" you are going faster, but in fact often not.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And where in Thailand, and how often, would the average guy want to do 180kph on a CBR 150??

I didn't say anything about who would want to, I said that the previous model with a few mods, would be faster off the mark, and have a higher top end speed than the new one, which you bizarrely found strange.

Also given that it's slimmer and lighter, it's a better option for city driving, than the wider, heavier, less powerful version.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

And where in Thailand, and how often, would the average guy want to do 180kph on a CBR 150??

I didn't say anything about who would want to, I said that the previous model with a few mods, would be faster off the mark, and have a higher top end speed than the new one, which you bizarrely found strange.

Also given that it's slimmer and lighter, it's a better option for city driving, than the wider, heavier, less powerful version.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

And of course, you have experienced riding both bikes so can make an informed case???

You obviously missed the point I was making. That a very large percentage of CBR150 buyers choose to buy becaus that is the closest bike available to suit their needs (or pocket) They are simply not interested in modding their bikes whatever it is.

Both the old and new models of CBR150 are excelent bukes, well suited to what the market demands. (although I admit I havent ridden a new model yet to confirm my thoughts)

Unless you are racing, and in Thai city traffic that is the fast road to oblivion, any time difference between the new or old bike would be so negligable as to not be worthy of comment, whether it is the new or old bike.

But in saying that, like I mentioned in the previous post, some guys do enjoy modding their bikes and good luck to them, Im sure there will be aftermarket bits available for the new CBR150 soon also.

And of course, you have experienced riding both bikes so can make an informed case???

No. But from the specs the new bike is both wider and heavier. This would mean a disadvantage in city riding. The power to weight ratio would also be less than a previous model with a few non-expensive mods.

Sorry if you disagree.

That a very large percentage of CBR150 buyers choose to buy becaus that is the closest bike available to suit their needs (or pocket) They are simply not interested in modding their bikes whatever it is.

To be fair, I don't think anybody can say why a very large % of the market choose choose such a bike. I would put forward though that many have bought it for its advantage over other models in city driving.

Unless you are racing, and in Thai city traffic that is the fast road to oblivion, any time difference between the new or old bike would be so negligable as to not be worthy of comment, whether it is the new or old bike.

Actually having a quicker, lighter, more nimble bike might save your live if you have to get out of a very tight situation in a very short amount of time.

If the majority of your time is riding outside of the city, then sure, the new version will no doubt be far superior. But if the majority of your time is spent in city driving, the reverse is no doubt true.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Edited by DomToggaf

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

You obviously missed the point I was making. That a very large percentage of CBR150 buyers choose to buy becaus that is the closest bike available to suit their needs (or pocket) They are simply not interested in modding their bikes whatever it is.

Both the old and new models of CBR150 are excelent bukes, well suited to what the market demands. (although I admit I havent ridden a new model yet to confirm my thoughts)

But in saying that, like I mentioned in the previous post, some guys do enjoy modding their bikes and good luck to them, Im sure there will be aftermarket bits available for the new CBR150 soon also.

Visions

You got it mate.

Thanks for this reply, but what we need is a little nimble bike with guts, to ride in traffic and on open road, and what did we find, the baby HONDA CBR 150. It s great little bike and I really like mine, so there, cut me down to make me think I need a big bike. C*@p.

Don't fix that , THAT what works, OK !

[

Visions

You got it mate.

Thanks for this reply, but what we need is a little nimble bike with guts, to ride in traffic and on open road, and what did we find, the baby HONDA CBR 150. It s great little bike and I really like mine, so there, cut me down to make me think I need a big bike. C*@p.

Don't fix that , THAT what works, OK !

Yes I agree with you about dont fix what isnt broken. Ive looked many many times and there has been simply no better alternative for a mix of city traffic and short distance open road riding than the old CBR150 I know I can negotiate traffic far easier with the 150 than my CBR400. Its all about horses for courses!! I think with a total of over 100,000KM riding the CBR150 I can state with some experience my thoughts on the bike. I suspect not too many others can lay claim to that record???

Honda with the new CBR150 has addressed the points most critizised on the old model. Wider rims bigger fairings, better seating etc, plus the emission thing which is a fact of life globaly now. But that has come at a cost of an increase in weight and size. Offset hopefully by the increase in engine power, and gearing??

Without having ridden a new one yet, it is pure conjection on my part, but I suspect there will be so little difference in performance as to be almost indeterminable. I havent measured but i think the mirrors extend further out than before so makes up a considerable amount of the extra overall width. (actually responding to another critizisim) but they can be shortened if someone wanted to??

I went in Sat to buy a new one but was told all their first delivery stock had sold, and now had to wait untill Nov 30 before next delivery!!

Was supposed to go test drive one last Saturday, but Thursday night I ended up in ICU around 11:30, and just got out of the hospital today. Went straight to Honda with the wife to take a look, finally ordered a tricolor, which will be here in a couple of weeks. They said I could still do a test drive, but told them today wasn't a good day to do that, but maybe tomorrow or later in the week.

Before I had my little "vacation" they had a red one, black one and tri color, but today only had tricolor in the showroom, with a black one in the back where they do repairs, which is the one they are using for test drives, then was told they just got a red one in and it was in the warehouse, so we went to take a look at it. Love the red, but my wife is adamant about red being a bad luck color for me in cars and motorbikes. I like the black, but decided on the tri-color simply because I think it stands out more. Personal thing. lol.

Someone bought the 1st red one they have, and I'm hoping that those who have bought and ridden the new 150 will come on and give us a "review".

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. I own one or two CBR150's depending on how you look at it.

For the past couple years I've had a Yamaha FZ400 and my girlfriend had a Honda Dream. For short trips to the store I'd always take her bike as it was just easier. So I decided I'd rather get her a CBR150 to ride so that when I borrowed it, I wouldnt have to use the Dream. I even kitted it out with a HRC exhaust which I used to have on my old Sonic and it sounds incredible. It's a fantastic exhaust for the CBR, but I've been told they're no longer made. Anyhow, I fell in love with this little CBR and so did my girlfriend and now she wont let me ride 'her bike'. So when a friend was selling his CBR150 for 18,000b, I had to buy it. I knew it wasn't maintained that well (it lived on an island with no decent mechanics) but figured with Honda reliability I'd be ok. So technically I own two of these bike, but if you ask the GF, she'll say she owns one and I own one.

Well...

I took 'my' CBR to the mechanic for an oil change and complete check and it ran just fine. I then took it out for a long ride to see how well it would do. It had a little more vibration than the GF's CBR and a little less power (max speed was 133). But then, in the middle of nowhere, it stopped. I guess if I didn't have headphones in, I might have heard the warnings. But upon trying to restart the bike I heard a sound similar to nuts and bolts being shaken in a tin can. This bad news made only worse by the fact I really had no clue where I was. I enjoy getting lost in the mountains between Khao Sok and Phang-Nga. Its easy to find your way out eventually, but rather difficult to give directions to someone who's supposed to come pick you up when you were just driving aimlessly for 60 minutes. :)

But I see this as an opportunity rather than a bad thing. I've got other bikes I can ride for the moment so maybe its time to tear in to the CBR and make it a project. Heres what I'd like to know:

1) If a complete engine rebuild is needed, what aftermarket parts could I (would you) use to make it better than stock? Or would you leave it stock?

2) Does anyone know where I can get an HRC exhaust? Or know of a good exhaust for the CBR? (I'm not a fan of the Endurance series)

3) Where can you get/order a K&N filter for this bike?

4) Very early in this thread, someone mentioned that the 150 engine shares the same base as the old Austrailan CBR250 and all that would be needed is to change the cylinder/head/piston to make it a 250. Is that true, and if so what is the cost (18,000b was mentioned but not confirmed) and where could you get it? At 18,000b I think it's more than I want to put in to this project, but if the option was there for less than 10,000 and it was for parts I'd need to buy anyway, I'd give it some serious thought.

Please keep in mind I live in the middle of no-where 2 hours north of Phuket. So there are no real bike shops around. If I can order parts from a shop, that has worked well before, but I'm not easily able to pop down to BKK bike shops.

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips. And if theres a CBR ride around here anytime soon, I'd love to join.

-Rick

www.travelhead.com

Mods while rebuilding the engine - 28 carb from the NSR 150.

K&N airfilter - Fast Corner in Bangkok. Off Rama 3. Minus their 20% discount it's 1,960b. They've a few shops around the cuontry and is a big enough opperation, are one of two official K&N dealers in Thailand, so am sure they deliver.

Cheers chaps

Dominic Toggaf.

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. I own one or two CBR150's depending on how you look at it.

For the past couple years I've had a Yamaha FZ400 and my girlfriend had a Honda Dream. For short trips to the store I'd always take her bike as it was just easier. So I decided I'd rather get her a CBR150 to ride so that when I borrowed it, I wouldnt have to use the Dream. I even kitted it out with a HRC exhaust which I used to have on my old Sonic and it sounds incredible. It's a fantastic exhaust for the CBR, but I've been told they're no longer made. Anyhow, I fell in love with this little CBR and so did my girlfriend and now she wont let me ride 'her bike'. So when a friend was selling his CBR150 for 18,000b, I had to buy it. I knew it wasn't maintained that well (it lived on an island with no decent mechanics) but figured with Honda reliability I'd be ok. So technically I own two of these bike, but if you ask the GF, she'll say she owns one and I own one.

Well...

I took 'my' CBR to the mechanic for an oil change and complete check and it ran just fine. I then took it out for a long ride to see how well it would do. It had a little more vibration than the GF's CBR and a little less power (max speed was 133). But then, in the middle of nowhere, it stopped. I guess if I didn't have headphones in, I might have heard the warnings. But upon trying to restart the bike I heard a sound similar to nuts and bolts being shaken in a tin can. This bad news made only worse by the fact I really had no clue where I was. I enjoy getting lost in the mountains between Khao Sok and Phang-Nga. Its easy to find your way out eventually, but rather difficult to give directions to someone who's supposed to come pick you up when you were just driving aimlessly for 60 minutes. :)

But I see this as an opportunity rather than a bad thing. I've got other bikes I can ride for the moment so maybe its time to tear in to the CBR and make it a project. Heres what I'd like to know:

1) If a complete engine rebuild is needed, what aftermarket parts could I (would you) use to make it better than stock? Or would you leave it stock?

2) Does anyone know where I can get an HRC exhaust? Or know of a good exhaust for the CBR? (I'm not a fan of the Endurance series)

4) Very early in this thread, someone mentioned that the 150 engine shares the same base as the old Austrailan CBR250 and all that would be needed is to change the cylinder/head/piston to make it a 250. Is that true, and if so what is the cost (18,000b was mentioned but not confirmed) and where could you get it? At 18,000b I think it's more than I want to put in to this project, but if the option was there for less than 10,000 and it was for parts I'd need to buy anyway, I'd give it some serious thought.

Please keep in mind I live in the middle of no-where 2 hours north of Phuket. So there are no real bike shops around. If I can order parts from a shop, that has worked well before, but I'm not easily able to pop down to BKK bike shops.

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips. And if theres a CBR ride around here anytime soon, I'd love to join.

-Rick

www.travelhead.com

I'd be willing to bet your cam chain slipped/broke. The symptoms you described are quite simliar to that happening.

If I was going to suggest anything I would tell you to leave it stock on the rebuild; hopefully the piston is ok and it's just a matter of new valves; if you're unlucky you'll end up replacing the valves, pistons, cylinder liner, and perhaps even the camshaft sprockets....

Hello,

Well...

-Rick

www.travelhead.com

Don't think there's a big chance that any parts from the old CBR250 could give your CBR150 a displacement of 250cc, since the old CBR250 had those 250cc distributed over four cylinders.

DBS do some nice exhausts. and they do one for the cbr. just google.

No way you can use the aus cbr250 as it was/is a 4 cylinder bike.

You can get a load of big bore kits. Not sure how good they are. as i preferred the reliability of near standard. again google is ya friend 

DBS do some nice exhausts. and they do one for the cbr. just google.

No way you can use the aus cbr250 as it was/is a 4 cylinder bike.

You can get a load of big bore kits. Not sure how good they are. as i preferred the reliability of near standard. again google is ya friend

I looked at doing a bore up a year ago...prices varied from about 10,000 for a minimum gain to 50,000 to go as far as possible 198cc.

I figured that the performance gain vers reliability, the increase in gas used, plus the fact that the value of the bike would probably go down not up, I gave the idea away. Buying a bigger bike is much better.

dbs is also selling complete bore up sets. If i recall for a 180cc set incl. carburetor they charged around ~14000 thb, which is ok compared to other shops.

OPEN70มิล 180cc ราคา14000บาท*ท่อ+แคมไม่มีคาร์บู

post-77479-0-41565700-1290131304_thumb.j

http://www.grim-dbs.com/home.asp

actually the complete set is not on their hp, i got it from a board

Hey! Just had a 28mm Kehin (NSR) carb put on my bike, and am having idle problems.

Is there a correct way to jet the carb. Or is there someone in Chiangmai who REALLY knows how to set up a carb.

(I won't be going to Honda on Huey Keow, as he rebuilt my engine when all I needed was a new CDI).

Seriously - who is the best for carb setup in Chiangmai?

Hey! Just had a 28mm Kehin (NSR) carb put on my bike, and am having idle problems.

Is there a correct way to jet the carb. Or is there someone in Chiangmai who REALLY knows how to set up a carb.

(I won't be going to Honda on Huey Keow, as he rebuilt my engine when all I needed was a new CDI).

Sorry I cannot help, but will be very interested in it. I'm thinking of doing this mod next month, I currently run on an aftermarket pipe and airfilter. I have a very good, competant Honda dealership who say they can do it for me (in Bangkok though).

How much did it cost? Think it's about 2,000b or so in the Honda dealership, but they need to do some extra work too right? Something to do with the throttle?

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Edited by appropriate

Sorry I cannot help, but will be very interested in it. I'm thinking of doing this mod next month, I currently run on an aftermarket pipe and airfilter. I have a very good, competant Honda dealership who say they can do it for me (in Bangkok though).

How much did it cost? Think it's about 2,000b or so in the Honda dealership, but they need to do some extra work too right? Something to do with the throttle?

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Yes.. you need a quick pull throttle.

pretty much any quick action will do. if the shop doesn't know. get it done somewhere else!

They're actually highly competent and proven at doing top notch work. I've only briefly spoken to the owner about it once about a year ago when they were changing my downpipe/muffler. He went through the different things that need to be done, and how they will do it.

Must have been thinking of naked ladies at the time cause the only thing I remember was the need to also change the throttle. And that the entire process was quite cheap. Only a few thousand baht.

Edited by appropriate

Got the change to test drive the new 150. Me & wife went to Honda showroom, where they are getting all decked out for a promo show. At first the guy told my wife I could only drive it around the back lot, but her cousin stepped in and basically told the man: "He has bought 3 motorbikes from us in the past 18 months, including the last CBR sold, and paid cash. If he wants to take it out on the highway, that's fine." The guy quickly smiled and said "Ok!". So I did.

Left Honda, did a U-turn, when down to Hang Dong Highway. Traffic was heavy, but no problems weaving in and out. Took it down to the Big C, then did another U-turn and headed back. No traffic that direction for a while, so I was able to open it up a little. Hit 110 in no time, but then had to ease up as I was approaching traffic.

Personal opinion, the seat is much more comfortable, as is the overall ride and feel. While the new one is heavier, for me there was almost no difference at all. Pick up and acceleration are better, but not by a whole lot, but you can tell the difference. Over all, definitely like! Signed all the papers and will get next week. Tri color.

Paid 2000 installed. Yes - needed the NSR throttle cable.

My concern is that is doesn't idle too well, and I really want to get the carb properly jetted and set up. Don't want to burn the piston!

Anybody know a master carb setter-upper? (Chiangmai).

How about a Dyno set up? Any in CM?

Thanks, Mark

ps - the bike is pretty groovy with its 28mm Kehin carb, 166cc piston (67mm vs stock 63.5mm), 47 tooth rear sprocket, and performance down-pipe...

And for those who are interested, I checked out the sprocket on the new CBR - 43 teeth (old CBR 44).

Ok, I'm like a little kid at Christmas. Picked up my new tri-color 150 today. First one bought in Chiang Mai. Picked it up around 4:45, which means I had to maneuver through "rush hour" traffic from dealer to temple - that's always a must - and then home. Had to deal with traffic all the way to Highway 121, and that was fine, as it gave me a good chance to really see how it handles in traffic. No problems! And when I finally got to the highway I ran it up to 105 for a couple of kilometers.

While you can definitely feel the extra weight difference when stopped, once you start moving you don't notice it at all. If anything, the bike feels more stable, with a very comfortable ride.

I'm a happy camper. !

I'll put some pics up tomorrow. Too dark to do now.

Ok, I'm like a little kid at Christmas. Picked up my new tri-color 150 today. First one bought in Chiang Mai. Picked it up around 4:45, which means I had to maneuver through "rush hour" traffic from dealer to temple - that's always a must - and then home. Had to deal with traffic all the way to Highway 121, and that was fine, as it gave me a good chance to really see how it handles in traffic. No problems! And when I finally got to the highway I ran it up to 105 for a couple of kilometers.

While you can definitely feel the extra weight difference when stopped, once you start moving you don't notice it at all. If anything, the bike feels more stable, with a very comfortable ride.

I'm a happy camper. !

Congratulations. I think ur "xmas come early present" will keep u happy for quite some time!! :D

I, and I'm sure many others, will look forward to some updates as the bike is broken in more.

I'm a happy camper. !

Congrats! Hope u will be as happy as me with the bike. I have done 1000km now so tomorov its time for the first service.

Here are some comments from a recognised performance tuning business who have bought a 150 for developing aftermarket parts.....And no I will not reveal who it is, as I havent so far had approval to post the remarks.

I have posted the remarks as I feel it may help new owners to keep a check on the points???? After all the forum is for owners to help each other, comparing and suggesting

We have bought the 150, by the way, and have found three alarming issues for a brand new bike. After 120 km

- the chain needed 2 turns of the adjustor to take up the slack

- the instrument cluster lens cracked all by itself

- this morning I noticed the steering seemed a bit stiff on full lock and sure enough the bearings seem too tight

That said, the ergonomics are good and it is easy to ride with good instrumentation and grippy tyres (for a Thai model)

Here are some comments from a recognised performance tuning business who have bought a 150 for developing aftermarket parts.....And no I will not reveal who it is, as I havent so far had approval to post the remarks.

I have posted the remarks as I feel it may help new owners to keep a check on the points???? After all the forum is for owners to help each other, comparing and suggesting

We have bought the 150, by the way, and have found three alarming issues for a brand new bike. After 120 km

- the chain needed 2 turns of the adjustor to take up the slack

- the instrument cluster lens cracked all by itself

- this morning I noticed the steering seemed a bit stiff on full lock and sure enough the bearings seem too tight

That said, the ergonomics are good and it is easy to ride with good instrumentation and grippy tyres (for a Thai model)

Not to defend any quality issues, but I believe the first and the third points are actually dealer issues. Dealers are supposed to go over all those points and make sure the bike is in order from the get go. The instrument lens cracking is more disturbing and raises questions as to whether or not there will be future issues in regards to the new parts that Honda is using on this bike.

None the less, those buying new bikes really should go over it before riding; check the steering head full lock to full lock, check the travel of the forks, if you can get it up in the air (having a mate tilt it on the sidestand) check free play in the front wheel and for brake dragging/engagement, make sure the oil filtre (if exposed) and fill cap are tight, check radiator level, check chain tension, check clutch free play/travel, check rear brake, check, check, check. Things get ugly when the motorcycle you're riding on stops in an unplanned hurry and you don't....

REVIEW

Ok, after spending more than a few hours on the new 150 yesterday and today, here's my "review". While some things are factual, others are my personal opinion. I've now driven the bike for 2 days, both in city traffic and on the open highway, daytime and night time, but kept the speed to only 110 till the engine is broken in. Here's what I've come up with.

a) Major improvement in the headlight over the old model, especially when on high beam.

B) You can definitely feel the weight difference when you are doing things like pushing the bike backwards away from the curb, or driving a very slow speeds of 5-10kph. But even at those slow speeds, the bike feels more stable than the old model, or that could just be my imagination.

c) Once you're moving, you don't notice the weight, but you do notice that the bike feels much more stable than the old model, especially at the higher speeds. I attribute this to not only the extra weight, but the increased tire size as well.

d) While perhaps not quite as nimble as the old model, weaving in and out of traffic is no problem at all, but because of the extra "width" of the mirrors, going between cars is not as easy as the old model. And on the highways the bike handles effortlessly.

e) And speaking of the mirrors, I actually like these much better. In my opinion they give me a better view of what's behind me than the old ones did, and they are set at a good level for my eyes.

f) While I would have to actually run against an old model to make sure, this one feels quicker off the line, and quicker to reach 100-110 than the old model. But again, that just may be my opinion and not actually based on fact.

g) Shifting gears feels smoother, and even a little faster than the old model.

h) At speeds of 100-110, the bike is definitely more stable, and I'm assuming that will also be the case later on when I decide to push it a little more.

i) In terms of "ride comfort", those of us who prefer the "sports bike style", this bike is very comfortable, with good suspension that handles small bumps in the road, as well as speed bumps in the moo ban, very easily. My feeling is that this will be a very good bike for longer road trips, which I plan on doing sometime after my birthday in February.

And then there's the "Wow!" Factor. No matter where I go, this bike, with the tri-color paint scheme, draws attention. I've had everyone from the "Average Sondhi" to cops and loan shark collectors coming to look at it and ask me about it. Especially the loan sharks collectors, most of whom are riding around on the old model, usually black. Lol.

In my opinion, this is a MUCH improved, much better 150 than the previous model. And while I loved my old one, I have no regrets about selling it after only 18 months and buying this one, even if I did have to wait almost 5 months to do so.

One of the things that has surprised me is that my wife actually LOVES this bike. She wasn't too crazy about it when I bought the black 150 two years ago, saying I would probably kill myself, but after a while she got used to it, and then was only upset because at 148cm, her cute, sexy legs were just too short for her to drive it. But this bike she actually loves and is very excited about.

I do want to make a couple of mods. The larger wind screen and K&N air filter for starters, and Mobile Synthetic at the first 1,000k, but those are minor things. I'm also waiting for the aftermarket accessories, such as tank bags and a couple of other things, and I also want to change tires from the IRC's to Michelin and Dunlap, or perhaps Pirelli, but that will have to wait a little while. Between 4 days in the hospital, some costly improvements on the house, and now the CBR, that's put a bit of a dent in my cash flow for a little while.

But all in all, I'm A Happy Camper!! :thumbsup:

:partytime2:

Edited by Just1Voice