Wanting To Buy New Desktop Computer

PattayaDavid

I want to purchase a new desktop computer as I only have a laptop at present.  I'm not a gamer, but I do want a desktop with a good dedicated graphics card, not an onboard graphics chip that will support multi-media and a high resolution widescreen LCD.  I see it pointless to opt for a processor less than that of a Intel Core 2 Duo.  I think middle of the road processor would be fine, maybe 2.4Ghz.  I prefer Intel processors over those of AMD.  I prefer a RAID system with 2 sata hard drives, one for work and one for backup.  The usual assessories such as DVD+/-R/RW with lightscribe capability, multiple USB/Firewire, 2 DVI connectors, possibly a memory card reader, built-in bluetooth, wireless lan etc.  I will choose my LCD display separately.  Most 

f the OEM systems I've seen have onboard graphics chips so I doubt I can find an OEM

system to suit my needs.  

Living in Pattaya, I am probably limited to purchasing at Tukcom, but I welcome the names of other shops.  Where would be the best place to purchase the desktop I've described in Pattaya or even in Tukcom?  What can I expect to pay for a medium to highend model minus the

LCD?

Thanks,

Pattaya David

Ask around in Pattaya and in the Pattaya forum. Also, I think a trip to Pantip in Bangkok might be your best option. I lived in Pattaya for a short while and I know that when I wanted to build a good desktop, I couldn't find the needed parts in Pattaya. I'd go with Busitek in Pantip. You can get a thai to order the parts for you by telephone, send them a deposit and then come and pick-up or even arrange delivery. I built my desktop with them in August, last year and found them to be very good.

Good advice, I'll post on the Pattaya Forum also. I haven't been to Pantip for more than 2 years. It's so big, it can be overwhelming to try and find what you want. Thanks for the recommendation of Busitek.

Yeah, Pantip is big and it get get pretty annoying, especially with all the touts around you trying to sell toy anything from underwear to nuclear rockets, that's why I used Busitek, you can get the elevator to the 5th floor where the Busitek shop is and get on with your business. Hassle free :o

I suggest you check out Tukom in Pattaya and see what they can offer you,

aslo Tukom in Sri Racha. No need to go to Bangkok.

Have used Hardware House in Tukom Sri Racha.

I specified what I wanted, they ordered the parts then assembled the machine for an extra 200 baht.

Busitek are good. However, the last machine I built, I got all the bits I wanted from Tukcom. When you arrive at the top of the elevator on the hardware floor there is a shop immediately on your right which stocks the latest higher end gear, similar prices to Panthip to the extent that I checked. Not so far to go if there are warranty issues.

Consider thanni.com too. I just found out about them in this forum and the prices there are great. I was going to buy a motherboard, cpu, ram and video card in the US on my trip back next week, but seeing the prices on thanni made me change my mind and I'll get something worked up here. I'm in Pattaya too, so pm me if you want to chat more about things.

Consider thanni.com too. I just found out about them in this forum and the prices there are great. I was going to buy a motherboard, cpu, ram and video card in the US on my trip back next week, but seeing the prices on thanni made me change my mind and I'll get something worked up here. I'm in Pattaya too, so pm me if you want to chat more about things.

Thanni might have some good prices. But their customer support is practically inexistent and the warranty part is very tricky. BTW, what happened to the guy who never received hit item back from them after sendint it for warranty?

There is a shop between Carrefour and Foodland called DCO, the guy in there provides great service, i buy bits and take them there and he fits them, for a new build it is best to buy a couple of bits from his store, maybe case/power supply/video card , he does asus, which might not be exactly what you want and a bit dearer than 'best price' but for walk in personal service he can't be beat.

I had a laptop dc socket had been knocked and was providing intemittent or no power, shop in England charged me gbp70 to tell me it could not be fixed, took it to him back next day fixed 1000thb and that was a lot for him to charge. Thailand is never totally straightforward but this guy is local and very helpful/competent.

I have just dealt with Thanni on internet and no problem.

Thanni might have some good prices. But their customer support is practically inexistent and the warranty part is very tricky. BTW, what happened to the guy who never received hit item back from them after sendint it for warranty?

Thanks for the info. Maybe I *will* get stuff back in the states and bring it in.

I prefer a RAID system with 2 sata hard drives, one for work and one for backup.

I would prefer to know what RAID it might be where there are 2 disks, used for different purposes.

That kind of reveals you don't really know what you are after and a seasoned shop owner may soon run circles around you.

Better go to DELL site, chose Thailand, build your spec online and see how much it is. Take it from there.

Hard to beleieve mom-and-pop shops or no-name assemblies can get same quality parts at same prices DELL can.

Just think - DELL purchases 30 million disks per year, what bargaining power with disk manufacturers they have.

I prefer a RAID system with 2 sata hard drives, one for work and one for backup.

I would prefer to know what RAID it might be where there are 2 disks, used for different purposes.

That kind of reveals you don't really know what you are after and a seasoned shop owner may soon run circles around you.

While your advice to consider Dell as an option is valid, I think you are perhaps a bit arrogant/condescending in tone.

He was clarifying that he wanted (a) SATA and (B) Mirrored RAID (RAID 1) versus RAID 0, 3, 6, or whatever, without getting technical. Not everyone wants to talk like a geek in public, you know. ;-)

Better go to DELL site, chose Thailand, build your spec online and see how much it is. Take it from there.

Hard to beleieve mom-and-pop shops or no-name assemblies can get same quality parts at same prices DELL can.

Just think - DELL purchases 30 million disks per year, what bargaining power with disk manufacturers they have.

Sure and Dell pass all those discounts on to the customer, Brand name PC's tend to have strange components in them that make upgrading a pain - much better to build one from off the shelf parts (or get them to do it at a PC shop) and choose the best parts.

Dell etc... are fine if you just want a basic run of the mill machine for a beginner.

Its not hard to buy a PC, you choose' Case, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Hard Drive, Video Card and bang a DVD drive in as well.

Sure and Dell pass all those discounts on to the customer

They would like not to but HP, Toshiba and others keep them honest. There is no agreement among them to keep the savings, it's a cut-throat market.

There are loads of good computer malls around Bangkok: Pantip (Phetchaburi Road), Fortune Tower (Rachada Road), Zeed (Rangsit), The Mall (Bang Kapi), etc. I would find a good shop that sells bits and get them to put a system together; basically they will do all the work, work out what goes with what, and probably charge you nothing for putting it together. Typically these shops have fliers with promotion systems, and its in their interest to give u something that works well, I mean a good combination of parts. You should be able to get something reasonable for about 12K baht. LCD monitors are really comming down in price; a Pantip shop had a promotion on Philips LCD 17" for 4500 baht. For best value try and get a motherboard with built in Geforce or ATI graphics. Prebuilt Dells, Compaqs will have inferior hardware compared to a built up systems. AM2 based motherboards seem to be the thing to go for at the moment.

Edited by MaiChai

I'm sure you should be able to find what you want in Pattaya and worst case you take trip to Bangkok. Make sure you know what you want by reading some of the hardware review sites (www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com) to name a couple. Then make a written list of what you want with a couple of options in case you can not find a particular component you would like.