When Power Goes Out --"universal Power Supply"

webworldly

Greetings!

Rainy season is here...woohoo!!

When the power suddenly and unexpectedly goes out...it can cuase problems for some electrical devices (computers especially). In other parts of the world I've seen a device sold in electronics stores that acts like a battery of sorts. It gives you between 30 minutes to an hour's worth of stored power for one or two small other devices you choose to plug into it.

It's not a "generator"....doesn't run on gasoline or anything like that. You just plug this thing into the wall....and the on board "battery" charges. Then, if the power goes out....you have however long the battery life lasts for and during that time...the one or two devices you have plugged into it will still have power.

OK....that's a pretty bad description. Sorry. But my question is.....where can I buy one of these in Thailand? Anywhere you know of in Bangkok? What about Phuket?

CHEERS!

David

Nearly any of the major (and even minor) computer stores/shops will have them, and yes, definitely should have one. Top brand I recommend is APC. Usually will get about 15 minutes of operating time before the battery runs down (depends on the size of the UPS and amount of equipment you are attaching).

Bangkok - Pantip will have them.

Very cool.....and thank you for the quick and very instructive replies!! I'll go have a look.

I may be pressing my luck....but do you know of any specific ones that will give 60 minutes of power to a laptop computer, a second computer monitor (not a 2nd computer...just a monitor also attached to the laptop), and a little router device?

Maybe an extra large APC?

Ideas?

UPS means Un-interruptable Power Supply.

Most computer units will supply 400w for about 10 minutes.

Larger units are available, and have large lorry batteries.

Depending on the load and capacity they may run for 2-3 hours.

This is the unit I have, batteries not included; :o

post-7384-1178192384_thumb.jpg

UPS means Un-interruptable Power Supply.

Most computer units will supply 400w for about 10 minutes.

Larger units are available, and have large lorry batteries.

Depending on the load and capacity they may run for 2-3 hours.

This is the unit I have, batteries not included; :o

post-7384-1178192384_thumb.jpg

Hey Astral...thank you again for the response. And your power supply looks like it could light up an entire city block.....ha!!

CHEER!

D

You can get a good local UPS with USB connection and software for around 2,000 baht. An APC will be at least twice that price.

Hey Phil...thank you, sir. Any advice on a particular store to buy one? I'm not trying to drag this thread on...just trying to maximize the efficiency of the shopping trip. I love computers.....as for shopping....not so much. :-)

CHEERS!

D

I may be pressing my luck....but do you know of any specific ones that will give 60 minutes of power to a laptop computer, a second computer monitor (not a 2nd computer...just a monitor also attached to the laptop), and a little router device?

The lap-top should already have an integral battery back-up so only the monitor will need UPS.

I just bought an APC at pantip last week. I looked all over the place and the only stores that I could find it was at these 2 places next to each other on the 3rd floor. I bought my APC CS 500 at Pink Computer store. cost - 2700 baht.

there were several thai products notably leonics advertised as being as good for about 800 baht cheaper. but I wanted something that was internationally recognized for their quality.

the APC UPS unit I got required that I had to buy an adapter which cost me another 190 baht. but like I said, I feel safer with the brand name.

I plugged one of these units into a cd player and desk top speakers and some xmas lights and had music and light for 45 min.

Would be interested in finding a way to hook a big car battery to it to make it last longer. Most blackouts are 2-3hrs in my experience.

Anyone has a unit that doesn't make the annoying beeping noise when the power goes out?

I plugged one of these units into a cd player and desk top speakers and some xmas lights and had music and light for 45 min.

Would be interested in finding a way to hook a big car battery to it to make it last longer. Most blackouts are 2-3hrs in my experience.

Anyone has a unit that doesn't make the annoying beeping noise when the power goes out?

Most of these units have two 12 Volt gel-type lead acid batteries, it's not rocket science to connect a couple of car batteries on external leads. You may find that the internal charger won't have enough oomph to re-charge the bigger batteries so you'll need to make alternative arrangements.

Snipping the leads to the sounder (or cutting the PCB track) will stop the noise.

Do be aware that even though it's only got 24V supply the electronics is quite capable of killing you if you touch the wrong bit :o

The lap-top should already have an integral battery back-up so only the monitor will need UPS.

Hey Yorkie.....ya' know.....I hadn't considered that. Very cool...so by only attaching the external monitor and the DSL router....and maybe a table lamp....to the UPS...and not having to attach the actual computer....even a base level UPS should provide an hour or so of operating time. Nice! Thank you for pointing that out.

CHEERS!

D