Do I Need A Visa For Thailand

This question seems to come up ever so often.

Let me put it that way, in general everybody visiting Thailand needs to have a visa issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate-General. Fullstop, no further comment necessary. :o

There is, however, one significant TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION to this rule.

At present passport holders from 41 countries do not require a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes if their stay in the Kingdom does not exceed 30 days.

The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

Who is responsible to have all required documents, Visa, funds? Every airline points out that this is the responsibility of the traveller, however, Thai authorities keep the airline responsible for accepting a traveller, without proper documents.

The airline(s) have to pay a fine of Baht 20,000 and carry the 'culprit' out of Thailand on their next flight. Usually back to where the pax came from, assuming s/he will neither have travel-documents for any other country.

As you realize, the Thai authorities do not specify presentation of a return- or outbound-ticket to enter Thailand as a tourist under the VISA EXEMPTION-rule but require possession of funds. Logically, the airlines should have to ask any pax without a visa to show the money, something they frown upon to do. Therefore, IMHO, the airlines changed the rules a little bit and ask for the ticket, assuming who has a ticket has got sufficient funds.

If somebody is denied entry into the country, the airline will make use of your ticket to fly you out. So they will not really do it for free.

If the airline has to pay the fine, rest assured they will ask the passenger to pay for it, as they pointed out in the smallprint, the pax has to have all documents, visas etc. The lawyers working for airlines are quite capable.

So I just repeat, to avoid any problems or being denied boarding have a valid visa in your p/port and you can fly on a one-way ticket or show a confirmed ticket (return or out of Thailand within the 30 days) and you are ok.

Ever so often, somebody points out, the airline did not check. Correct, the counter staff is usually in a hurry and might just forget it. It is also a matter of training for the check-in staff.

Do you want to be the one who is denied boarding?

Do you want to be the one who has to argue?

Do you want to be the one whose confirmed seat is given to somebody on the waiting list while you are buying finally a ticket next door and when returning to the counter the boarding is closed?

Actually it is up to you, but isn't it so much easier, just to follow this little rule, Visa or ticket?

I am not sure,but should the passport not be valid for at least 6 months more?

When applying for a visa outside of Thailand, the passport should be valid for at least 6 months.

When entering under the 30-days visa exemption for tourists, the MFA rules do not specifically mention this. The airliens usually advise that passports are recommended to be valid 6 months after period of stay. However, Thai Immigration will accept passports which are only valid for period of intended stay.

I have a lot of trouble working out why these dimwits go to such ridiculous lengths to avoid getting a proper visa for Thailand before leaving home. It is way beyond me. The consequences, and problems arising out of arriving here with no visa, far outweigh the getting of a standard visa before entering Thailand

I am not sure,but should the passport not be valid for at least 6 months more?

That is what the Thai rules say Dutch, but they are nowhere near as tough on this issue as our Indonesian Brothers ( who actually want 6 clear months AFTER the visa expires )

I have a lot of trouble working out why these dimwits go to such ridiculous lengths to avoid getting a proper visa for Thailand before leaving home. It is way beyond me. The consequences, and problems arising out of arriving here with no visa, far outweigh the getting of a standard visa before entering Thailand

Dr.

It's just another case of people always thinking they know better, and can be clever enough to avoid the regs, and thinking THEY will get away with it, while us lesser mortals are stupid enough to try and abide by the rules.

I mean, how many times have people been "advised" not to overstay here, or not to keep coming in on back to back VOA's? Will they listen?

Mind blowing mentality!

Dr.

It's just another case of people always thinking they know better, and can be clever enough to avoid the regs, and thinking THEY will get away with it, while us lesser mortals are stupid enough to try and abide by the rules.

I mean, how many times have people been "advised" not to overstay here, or not to keep coming in on back to back VOA's? Will they listen?

Mind blowing mentality!

It is hard to believe. But that is the way it is. I hope you got my message that the visa you seek is still available in Oz ( as of last Friday )

So, can someone just clarify this situation.

I am applying for a 60 day tourist visa from the Embassy.

I will, however want to arrive on a one-way flight as I intend to travel for over a year and so a RTW flight is not suitable.

My question, although I have applied for (and hopefully get!) a 60 day tourist Visa will I have problems entering Thailand.

Tks

If you obtain a 60 day tourist visa an outward bound ticket is not required, since you are travelling for 1 yr i assume you will have more than 6 months to run on your passport upon arrival in Thailand. Why not apply for a double entry visa for the little extra cost that would give you the option of up to 6 months in Thailand should you wish to stay that long.