Song Thaew To Airport

ricklev

I usually take a taxi to and from the airport with no complaints, however the last couple of times have been slightly annoying and I think I will start taking Song Thaews as I'm commuting to Bangkok weekly.

How does one get a Song Thaew FROM the airport? Is there a stopping point somewhere in the airport or do I need to walk to the road? Is there a fixed price?

About how much should I pay a song thaew from Chiang Mai University TO the airport?

THANKS

i just fIag one down as you wouId usuaIIy. OccasionaIIy some may not want to go that way, but most do, esp if in the morning.

The price varies, some dont charge me over the going rate (15bth..aIthough i dont give Iess that 20bht for the trip). I gen dont pay more than 50bht each time.

Def much Iess fuss than trying to arrange for a taxi

I usually take a taxi to and from the airport with no complaints, however the last couple of times have been slightly annoying and I think I will start taking Song Thaews as I'm commuting to Bangkok weekly.

How does one get a Song Thaew FROM the airport? Is there a stopping point somewhere in the airport or do I need to walk to the road? Is there a fixed price?

About how much should I pay a song thaew from Chiang Mai University TO the airport?

THANKS

the songtaew's pull up right in front of the airport terminal and from CMU then 40 to 50 baht is probably good average price. Would depend on which side of CMU. The south side of CMU would be a shorter trip. I usually get one from Nimmanhemin and pay 40 baht. They will ask for more but usually come down a little. When you leave the airport they ask for more money and harder to negotiate. If you don't have a lot of bags and can walk to the road then its cheaper.

Does anybody know if you can walk around or thru the wing 41? Its a short distance if you did not have to go all the way back to the moat.

It's been a few months, but I would catch them on their way out of the airport. I never had to wait more than a few minutes. They would usually pick up a few people and I never had one name a price in advance, so the normal fares applied. I've attached a google earth bookmark showing where I would catch them, but it's basically right where you walk out of the airport.

As for going to the airport, that was always a little more annoying. You just have to stop them and ask if they'll go there. I wouldn't ask if they already had passengers, lest they take too circuitous a route. The ones that would go there usually asked for 100 baht or so, but I think I paid anywhere from 40 to 80 (usually a solo ride).

Slightly off topic, but I was always tempted to call for the airport 'limo' which seemed like an ok deal, but never got around to it.

songtheaw.kmz

Does anybody know if you can walk around or thru the wing 41? Its a short distance if you did not have to go all the way back to the moat.

You can only go through there with a pass.

(The office is currently open for applications. No need to wait for November this year. )

The airport Limo service is the way to go. Dont have the number but you can ring them & they will pick you up as well. I have not done this, got the g/f to drop me off, but a mate does it all the time.

Thanks for the information. I'll try the airport limo service. I didn't realize they do pickups also. It's got to be better than dealing with an absurd taxi meter dispatcher. "How much you pay?" is not what I want to hear when I call a taxi.

Anyone have the limo number?

Would you say it's a fair assumption that after an initially hopeful start, the meter taxis have proven a disaster in Chiang Mai?

I see them mostly parked somewhere, not moving, not being available unless you're willing to call, book, and haggle.. That to me is not what meter taxis are about.

Would you say it's a fair assumption that after an initially hopeful start, the meter taxis have proven a disaster in Chiang Mai?

I see them mostly parked somewhere, not moving, not being available unless you're willing to call, book, and haggle.. That to me is not what meter taxis are about.

The meter taxis are a disaster. Whenever I called them I always had an enormous haggle over the price (for what purpose a meter). Also reliability in turning up was always touch and go. I gave up and haven't used one for months. They deserve to go out of business.

Just flew out 2 days ago, called the meter cab and after giving all details to the dispatch was told 150B. After a brief back and forth I had to hang up. Whats the point? Im sure they are used to this by now. Went outside and got a song tao for 60B.

Love Thailand, just get let down when things turn out not to be what they are promoted as. Seems to happen quite a bit.

I always use the Airport Taxi Service located outside the northern end of the terminal (exit next to the Thai Airways ticketing counter). No screwing around waiting for a tuk-tuk or songtaew and only 120 baht into town in clean air-conditioned sedans.

They will also pick-up if you can make contact. Khun Pasa Ratananont is one of the drivers, his mobile number is 081-8840771. He spent many years in America and other countries and speaks excellent English for those of you that don't speak Thai. He will gladly pick you up if you call him.

I always use the Airport Taxi Service located outside the northern end of the terminal (exit next to the Thai Airways ticketing counter). No screwing around waiting for a tuk-tuk or songtaew and only 120 baht into town in clean air-conditioned sedans.

They will also pick-up if you can make contact. Khun Pasa Ratananont is one of the drivers, his mobile number is 081-8840771. He spent many years in America and other countries and speaks excellent English for those of you that don't speak Thai. He will gladly pick you up if you call him.

When I arrive in CM I use the airport taxi service as well, its just so pain free. They whisk you straight off to a car without any wait!

Its just the whole thing about paying a set price when you should not have too that gets me, even though its only 150 B to go to the airport, just out of spite I find myself in the back of a song tao.

Thanks for the contact and number, I will give him a buzz next time.

Cheers

Edited by ZEAK

I had some slight time problems and had to ride my motorcycle to the airport to make my flight. What do you think the odds are that my shiny new Honda Wave will not be stolen from the parking lot during the week I'm in Bangkok?

Taking the next flight would have cost 1700 baht so I figured it to be a reasonable bet. Unless I bet wrong.....

I had some slight time problems and had to ride my motorcycle to the airport to make my flight. What do you think the odds are that my shiny new Honda Wave will not be stolen from the parking lot during the week I'm in Bangkok?

Taking the next flight would have cost 1700 baht so I figured it to be a reasonable bet. Unless I bet wrong.....

What color was it ????????? :o

You can only go through there with a pass.

(The office is currently open for applications. No need to wait for November this year. )

p1p

Do you know what documents are required and where to go? cheers.

I recently picked up the missus from the International Terminal and while waiting helped an Aussie couple find a taxi into town. A taxi driver wearing the songtaew logo of twisted cables (nakon something or other) told them they would need to pay a 50 baht surcharge to leave the airport. I put them straight and showed them the fixed price board and found a driver who accepted 120 baht for central cm. Is this a new scam from the songtaew company taxis?

Edited by Loaded

I have parked my CBR there several times and never (touch wood) had a problem. On one occasion I thought I was going to be in BKK overnight and came back after a week. Bike was fine and the security guards had been taking care of it. General rule of thumb, if you are going to leave it for a while is to be nice, speak to them and say is it ok to put it in "this spot" - spot wherever. One guard laughingly offered to take care of it and my key for the two days is was in BKK but I decided the key was better kept in my pocket. You can also consider putting a padlock through the front disk or whereever on your bike to help keep it in one place.

CB

I recently picked up the missus from the International Terminal and while waiting helped an Aussie couple find a taxi into town. A taxi driver wearing the songtaew logo of twisted cables (nakon something or other) told them they would need to pay a 50 baht surcharge to leave the airport. I put them straight and showed them the fixed price board and found a driver who accepted 120 baht for central cm. Is this a new scam from the songtaew company taxis?

I suppose that is just a taxi driver trying to make some money, the B50 surcharge.

as for you finding them a driver who would accept B120, he must have been pleased!! I normally pay only B15 when leaving the airport to central CM in a songtaew, along with other passengers. Maybe B20 if alone

I suppose that is just a taxi driver trying to make some money, the B50 surcharge.

as for you finding them a driver who would accept B120, he must have been pleased!! I normally pay only B15 when leaving the airport to central CM in a songtaew, along with other passengers. Maybe B20 if alone

The 50 baht surcharge is standard for the normal taxis (not the Airport Taxi Service) at the northern end of the terminal. This is also the practise at the Suvarnaphumi airport in BKK, if you go to the departures level at this airport (and Chiang Mai) you can grab a taxi that is dropping pax off without paying the surcharge.

but i was talking about taxis, keep up old chap.