Pacman is now expected to enter the political ring full time

ASEAN NOW News

UGAS-WIN-PAC.jpeg.bc90689a839a95df9854a8ca5db9beef.jpeg

Vegas fight in full swing (Sean Michael Ham photo)

DAVAO CITY – Senator Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao failed to show his old forms as he lost to Yordenis Ugas of Cuba by a unanimous decision in the battle for the World Boxing Association super world welterweight title at the T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas on Sunday (Philippine time).

“His old moves never came back, of course he's getting older,” boxing promoter and manager Brico Santig of Highland Promotions.

For referee-judge Silvestre Abainza, it is time for Pacquiao to retire, saying the boxer-turned senator has brought so much honor for the country.

“It’s really time to retire. He is old. Eighth division world champion even maybe 100 years unmatched by Manny Pacquiao,” Abainza said. “Manny Pacquiao is just one. It's time to concentrate on politics.”

A boisterous crowd of 17,438 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas watched the underdog Ugas outbox and out-fight the great Manny Pacquiao to win a 12-round unanimous decision and retain his WBA Welterweight World title in the main event of FOX Sports PBC pay-per-view.

Abainza said the 42-year-old Pacquiao should have not fought Ugas since the Cuban fighter is seven years younger than him.

“Filipinos love him dearly. He is the only one who has given honor to the Philippines that no one else can match. That is already imprinted in the hearts of Filipinos for even a thousand years. Manny Pacquiao is in history,” Abainza said.

Pacquiao’s defeat was his 8th in 72 fights with 62 wins, including 39 knockouts that made him one of the most decorated fighters in the world.

Ugas, a late replacement for Pacquiao’s original undefeated opponent Errol Spence Jr. who suffered a retinal tear in his left eye, improved his ring record to 27 wins against four defeats and retain the WBA crown.

“I’m very excited but, most of all, I want to thank Manny Pacquiao for giving me this moment in the ring today,” Ugas said afterward. “I told you, I am the champion of the WBA and I showed it tonight.”

“I’m very emotional. A lot of people say Cubans can’t win the big fight. So, I’m very proud that I got this win for Cuba and showed what we are all about.”

Pacquiao, as always, was gracious in defeat.

“Congratulations to Ugas and his team,” said Pacquiao. “Thank you to all of you. I want to thank all my fans and the media. For many decades, the press, media, and boxing fans were always behind us, supporting us. That’s why we’re here, why we became popular and why we accomplished our dreams as a fighter.

“I am a fighter outside and inside the ring. I look forward to returning to the Philippines and helping them during this pandemic.”

“In the future, you may not see Manny Pacquiao in the ring,” Pacquiao said. “I don’t know. Let me rest first, relax and make a decision if I’ll continue to fight or not.”

Next Filipino Boxing Star

E9XMzjAVgAssFSM.thumb.jpg.1690a9cf241a51fbf61fbdf1dcfc1fd8.jpg

On the same bill, there was a star-making performance by Mark “Magnifico” Magsayo (23-0, 16 KOs) of the Philippines scored a spectacular knockout of Julio Ceja (32-5-1, 28 KOs), putting the former world champion away in the 10th round of their WBC Featherweight Title Eliminator.

“I just worked a lot on the straight punches,” said Magsayo. “I kept working it round after round and when I saw he was hurt, I followed up.

yiuCnjTu_400x400.jpg.f55941bbfa992565c95904482ead3d79.jpg

“I’m so glad for the outcome. I expected his style to make it happen and I expected a knockout tonight.”

Mark “Magnifico” Magsayo is a prodigy of Manny, who watched Mark's fight from his dressing room.

Meanwhile as Pacman is expected to hang up his gloves, it looks likely he will have prepared for a new type of fight, in the political ring perhaps to become the next President of his country.

“In the future, you may not see Manny Pacquiao in the ring,” Pacquiao said. “I don’t know. Let me rest first, relax and make a decision if I’ll continue to fight or not.”

Watch this space.