Best Place For Jungle

ThaiBak

I was just curious what the perfect length of time would be to book a trip to Thailand for. I want to spend lots of time treking jungles and maybe visit one or two of the neighboring countries.

Also any info on where the best place for dense jungle is located would be great. Is it better in Burma, laos or Malaysia?

Thanks

A friend of mine swears by Khao Sok in Surat Thani. A tropical jungle, much hotter and wetter than the ones up north. Also, not the traditional trekking place in that there are no hill tribes to go see, just jungle, plants and critters.

Stayed Kao Sok last month...very wet but truly beautiful.

You can get individual guided tours day AND night.

The place has stunning limestone(?) cliffs and scenery and great lakes.

There's meant to be tigers too.

Where did we stay? Sorry I don't have the name, but I was glad we had 4WD to get there

I was just curious what the perfect length of time would be to book a trip to Thailand for. I want to spend lots of time treking jungles and maybe visit one or two of the neighboring countries.

Also any info on where the best place for dense jungle is located would be great. Is it better in Burma, laos or Malaysia?

Thanks

I have trod the jungles of all countries in SE Asia since the third quarter of the last century and would suggest that for the ultimate in jungle, you should try the Taman Negara, the national park in the centre of peninsular Malaysia.

Andrew Hicks

Thanks

hi.

As to the duration of your holiday. then the longer the better, if you want to get around to nieghbouring countries then aim for a month at least.

As to spending time in the jungle. I suppose you could classify jungles into "Primary' and "Secondary". Primary or virgin jungles are not all that dense at the lower levels. Secondary jungles or jungles that have been semi cleared and allowed to grow back, are the dense "hack your way through" jungles. you can find a mix of these on the Malay peninsular although the Primary jungles are now all protected to a large extent by being national parks. An alternative is to book a "Jungle tour" in Sarawak the Malaysian part of Borneo, you can "jungle hop" along the river network. If you want a more "civilised" holiday then head for Chiang mai here in Thailand.

whatever you choose to do, hope you have a great time.