Where To Get A Modem?

topgun997

Hello everyone,

It's finally time for me to take the plunge and enter into the dreaded internet service in Phuket. I've signed up with TOT simply because my neighbor two doors down has very good download rates through them and I thought I might be so lucky. TOT has told me I need to buy a modem. I was surprised that this wasn't provided or sold by them, but I'll play the game. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to get one that works for a good price? I only have one computer so I only need a single port modem. I live near Phuket Town on Choafa West, so somewhere near Phuket town would be preferable to Patong. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

When I read things like that, I could cry.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden July 20, 2007 - She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed. Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer — many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

My TOT high speed ADSL which goes from 50 kb/sec at 5 AM to 30 to 20 and occasionally becomes unconscious around 8:30 AM. It will limp along at between 2 and 4 kb/sec all day.

Banana republic.

When I read things like that, I could cry.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden July 20, 2007 - She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed. Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer — many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

My TOT high speed ADSL which goes from 50 kb/sec at 5 AM to 30 to 20 and occasionally becomes unconscious around 8:30 AM. It will limp along at between 2 and 4 kb/sec all day.

Banana republic.

yeah i heard about that on Cnet's BOL

Crazy hungh? I think it might be a bit wasted on her though.

Hello everyone,

It's finally time for me to take the plunge and enter into the dreaded internet service in Phuket. I've signed up with TOT simply because my neighbor two doors down has very good download rates through them and I thought I might be so lucky. TOT has told me I need to buy a modem. I was surprised that this wasn't provided or sold by them, but I'll play the game. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to get one that works for a good price? I only have one computer so I only need a single port modem. I live near Phuket Town on Choafa West, so somewhere near Phuket town would be preferable to Patong. Thanks in advance.

Just to clarify are you getting a traditional modem? (dial-up) or an Adsl-modem?