Thai/ English Baby Born In Uk

slippery when wet

the child will technically automatically be a dual national, though you will have to go through the process to get the paperwork to prove it.

Assuming you are a British national, then your child will be a british national by birth by vitue of being born on UK soil (experts on this area, please correct me if I am technically off on this point).

Your child technically, is also Thai at birth. Thai nationality is passed down by blood, regardless of birth place. As the mother is Thai, then so will the child. To prove this however, you'll need to apply to the Thai embassy in London for a Thai birth certificate for children born outside of Thailand. This is the starting point and it can only be done in London, as the Thai embassy is responsible for registering all births and deaths of Thai nationals born in the UK.

Just to repeat - you have to basically apply for the Thai passport in London, as only the embassy will accept a UK birth certificate. (We tried first at the passport office in Thailand, and they said they didn't accept foreign birth certificates.)

The bigger issue in the long term is probably to get the Thai ID card at 15.

For that, you probably want to get the child added onto whatever Tabien Baan (house book) your wife is on next time you're in Thailand.

As the child wasn't born in Thailand, it probably won't be sent an ID card automatically, but with passport, and Tabien Baan, it should be easier to get one by filling in the forms for it having been lost.

As Mike says, take all paperwork to Thai Embassy, I rang my consulate office and they sent me relavent paperwork to fill in, then i made an appointment at the Thai Embassy, they were very helpfull, Embassy is at queens gate, London, if you have to stay a night, the hotel next door, Queens gate hotel, i can recomened 100%, and they do good deals.