#24 Golden Dragon Half Bus

mild7even

I heard about a new bus to Pai, called the #24 Golden Dragon Half Bus, from the Arcade bus station. I read about it at: http://allaboutpai.com/bus.htm. Anybody know any details on this bus? According to the web site, it is actually somewhat comfortable, unlike the regular buses or minivans.

Anybody use this bus, or hear anything about it?

According to the website, it has only one departure daily, at 7:30 a.m. Not sure when tickets go on sale, i.e., can you purchase them in advance, or only the day of? Might have to stop at the bus station tonight and find out, but if anybody has any info, it is appreciated.

I heard about a new bus to Pai, called the #24 Golden Dragon Half Bus, from the Arcade bus station. I read about it at: http://allaboutpai.com/bus.htm. Anybody know any details on this bus? According to the web site, it is actually somewhat comfortable, unlike the regular buses or minivans.

Anybody use this bus, or hear anything about it?

According to the website, it has only one departure daily, at 7:30 a.m. Not sure when tickets go on sale, i.e., can you purchase them in advance, or only the day of? Might have to stop at the bus station tonight and find out, but if anybody has any info, it is appreciated.

Just so you know, because of the curvyness of the road to Pai, no bus ride is going to be comfortable- you sure won't get a nap :o

Just so you know, because of the curvyness of the road to Pai, no bus ride is going to be comfortable- you sure won't get a nap :o

Agreed... I've gone to Pai by both minivan and chopper, and by motorcycle was best. I was wanting to fly this time, but am going with a friend who doesn't want to spend the money on the flight.

I was just hoping for the best option... don't want to get stuck on a bus ride for four hours with no fan, in ninety degree weather, packed to the gills with backpackers... though it may be inevitable.

Hmmm....

Bus-

post-23786-1186494577_thumb.jpg

Bike-

post-23786-1186494702_thumb.jpg

Go Bike. Your friend can ride b_tch.... :o

Since I am over 100 kilos, and my friend around 130, we decided not to bike it. Ended up hiring a private car for 1800 baht, which included fuel. Took two and a half hours and was a lot more comfortable than I imagine the bus would be.

Left my friend there while I returned--took the flight. It was actually a fine ride. The plane looks brand new and in very good condition. Actual flight time was only 20 minutes, and with only mild turbulence. There were only five passengers total for our flight to Chiang Mai, and only around eight people got off the plane in Pai. They had added an additional flight for today due to it being the Mother's Day weekend.

I'll be heading back in a few days to meet back up with my friend... will probably fly again and recommend it for others.

I had also heard about the Golden Dragon Half Bus. I went to the Arcade bus station and it isn't there. The only option from the bus station is a mini mini van, we asked several people and were pointed back to the same place. Ended up booking a minibus from a travel agent for 150B, which worked out fine. Flying back though :o

@mild7even

I'm planning the plane, too. Not only to save time, but I'm very interessted in aviation. It must be really a thrill to fly this small plane, because I guess, it flies very slow and low. There must be great sights.

If you are interested in aviation, then definitely take the flight. I flew back to Pai again a few days ago, and this time took a seat at the front of the airplane. There is nothing in between you and the pilots and the instruments and you can see it all (maybe a security risk?). Got an LCD screen with navigation info, including the bearing (or is it heading?).

Checking in at CM airport was pretty painless as well, not much more hassle then check in at Pai, though more layers of security.

Booked online through their website, and the price was 1450 baht... a ticket place here in CM wanted to charge 1500. No biggie, I wouldn't mind paying the booking fee, but why not book it yourself online?

One issue: there is no taxi or tuk tuk service in Pai, and therefore nobody waiting at the airport to pick you up. It would behoove you make prior arrangements with your hotel or guesthouse to have somebody waiting for you. Though, the haul into town on foot is doable if you don't have too much stuff.

Another thing occurred to me while I was there in Pai: there is a motorcycle rental agency called Aya that has an office in Chiang Mai as well. Apparently, you can rent a motorcycle at one of the locations and return it to the other. So... you could rent a chopper or dirt bike in CM, ride to Pai and return it there, avoiding having to pay for it the whole time you are there. And vice versa. Just another option.

Anyway, had a great time in Pai...