Quad Bike Hire

cuddleypete

last time i was in pattaya i saw people riding Quad bikes, Can you hire them??? where and how much???

thanks pete

Just a note from the Brit Embassy..........

"Road Safety

An international or Thai driving licence is required to drive in Thailand.

Riding a motorcycle or scooter in Thailand can be dangerous. On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand. You should take the same safety precautions as in the UK. The Thai law that safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored: a contributing factor in many tourist deaths each year.

The motorcycles or scooters available for hire in beach resorts are usually mopeds of less than 50cc. They are not registered as a vehicle and cannot, consequently, be used legally on a public road. Motorcycles or scooters of under 50cc are not covered by insurance and if there is an accident, the hirer is responsible for any damage or loss of the vehicle or injury to a third party. When the motorcycle is over 50cc you should check your travel insurance policy carefully to ensure that you are covered. Before you hire a vehicle check the small print of the lease agreement carefully.

You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle.

Riding ‘Quad-bikes’ can also be dangerous. You should also note that it is illegal to drive these on the roads in Thailand despite the fact that they are available to hire on the roadside."

Read the article

last time i was in pattaya i saw people riding Quad bikes, Can you hire them??? where and how much???

thanks pete

Just a note from the Brit Embassy..........

"Road Safety

An international or Thai driving licence is required to drive in Thailand.

Riding a motorcycle or scooter in Thailand can be dangerous. On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand. You should take the same safety precautions as in the UK. The Thai law that safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored: a contributing factor in many tourist deaths each year.

The motorcycles or scooters available for hire in beach resorts are usually mopeds of less than 50cc. They are not registered as a vehicle and cannot, consequently, be used legally on a public road. Motorcycles or scooters of under 50cc are not covered by insurance and if there is an accident, the hirer is responsible for any damage or loss of the vehicle or injury to a third party. When the motorcycle is over 50cc you should check your travel insurance policy carefully to ensure that you are covered. Before you hire a vehicle check the small print of the lease agreement carefully.

You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle.

Riding 'Quad-bikes' can also be dangerous. You should also note that it is illegal to drive these on the roads in Thailand despite the fact that they are available to hire on the roadside."

Read the article

Can anyone confirm if this is fact about Quad bikes in Thailand.?

Edited by sohn

A good rule of thumb is the bike if legal for the road will have a numberplate, not just a shop or hire identification number, and an insurance sticker to confirm this has been paid. Having asked about the concensus here is they are for off road use only. Also if you have never ridden one I would suggest you dont try to learn on a Thai highway. They can be very dangerous to a learner so learn to use one off road away from anything to hit. Also rule number 1 DONT PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN WHILST MOVING. If you do you will most certainly run over it. If you are just here on holiday use a cab, its safer and cheaper. :o

Thanks for all your replys maybe i wont hire a quad bike this time, just stick to normal bike like i usall hire, (HONDA 125) just like my own bike that is at my thai wifes house up north .

just like to say thailand is not the best place to learn top ride a bike as well.

and i agree with H2oDunc

there is/was a place in tipp plaza - beach side. i have not been by there as of late but it had been open awhile.

these things have knobby tires and not good for the road imo, also i think prone to flipping, also the guys ive seen on them the bikes seem slow to get up and out of traffic.

i would recommend as a local here to walk or take mototaxi. only farang fools drive in pattaya. i swear to buddha above i saw two accidents before 1200 today.

As the OP is happy with the replies so far, If I may hijack this thread for a while,

I am looking to buy some sort of quad bike, nothing to powerfu, ie not 500cc, for driving around on the farm, could be new or used, can anyone advise of where I can buy one, preff Pattaya.

cheers

Quad bikes are illegal for road use . . which puts you in a dodgy position should you have an accident as guess who will be paying for all the damage regardless fo who's fault the accident is. Clue, it wont be the other guy.

You ever see a quad bike with a registration plate? Didn't think so.

Registering quad bikesI have agreed to buy a quad bike for personal use. The only document that I currently have is the receipt for payment of import duty. Is it possible to be issued a license plate for the bike and ride it on the road?

Wednesday, April 7, 2004Fabio, Krabi.“The Transportation Department will not register quad bikes, known in Thailand as ATVs (all terrain vehicles), and will not allow them to be driven on public roads.

We cannot register them because they do not fit into any of the recognized categories of vehicle listed in government legislation and regulations.

However, ATVs can be driven on private property. To do so, you will first need to obtain permission from the local environmental health office for your area.

Wednesday, April 7, 2004 Teerayuth Prasertphol, Deputy Chief, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office

If this is still correct then this is real scary.

as companies are hiring them out to tourists in pattaya for road use

and its all illegal.

TIT unreal :o

Edited by sohn