Tourists Attacked On Koh Samui

Highdiver

You do seem to think that any tourist that dares to question their treatment from any Thai business deserves physical harm! You readily believe any version of events given to you by your Thai "friends", even when the facts may not support them. As has been pointed out, the taxi driver fled the scene and possibly did a runner after dunping his taxi. You also state that the four tourists attacked him and he was getting a beating. Yet somehow he manages to get away from them and return to his cab. Then, rather than getting away to summon the police, he gets a knife and returns to stab them.

Only those there at the time know what really happened, but anyone investigating this would have some serious questions for the driver.

This kind of incident does tremendous damage to the island as it is. It does not need anyone else to justify the guys actions!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most important lesson here is that if you live in Thailand and have managed to avoid the cocoon of fear and loathing that Thai Visa manages to sustain about Thailand in general, it's probably best not to read the Samui subforum just before you're headed down to Samui for a vacation, heh. On the other hand a quick trip to the local Pattaya newspaper's site does wonders for the Samui's image as portrayed in the subforum here.

Highdiver

You do seem to think that any tourist that dares to question their treatment from any Thai business deserves physical harm! You readily believe any version of events given to you by your Thai "friends", even when the facts may not support them. As has been pointed out, the taxi driver fled the scene and possibly did a runner after dunping his taxi. You also state that the four tourists attacked him and he was getting a beating. Yet somehow he manages to get away from them and return to his cab. Then, rather than getting away to summon the police, he gets a knife and returns to stab them.

Only those there at the time know what really happened, but anyone investigating this would have some serious questions for the driver.

This kind of incident does tremendous damage to the island as it is. It does not need anyone else to justify the guys actions!

I beg to differ.

I differ on your assumptions of the case and I differ at your remarks about me.

your post is a fine example of how things can quickly become a conflict. instead of adressing the issue you have chosen to address me personaly.

not that I have not done the same to others :D but in this forum when things ge out of hand we have the allmighty moderators who can end it. in true life its not the same.. :D

back to the issue

I stated in previous posts that I condem any form of violence. I also belive that one should get both sides of the story.

I stated before in 2 posts that i dont know what is the truth but I am sure its somewhere in the middle

its beyond me how you made your assumptions. Is it because I presented the Thai side of the story? or should we have this forum to exhibit only Anti Thai bashing posts most of them giving the forigner side of the story and replied to by an eager mob of expat farrangs with a superiority complex against Thais.

I assure you that i frequently try and explain to many of my Thai friends the forigner point of view on such cases as well.

I condem tourist being harmed by locals, however having lived here for so long, and having a lot of experience in the travel industry, I found that the rule "when in rome" applies here in samui as it will in any place in the world. if you are a tourist then you are a guest.... and dont make any attempts at conflicts with the locals.

when you as a tourist are upset with something there is a way to complain and whining, bitching, cursing, flaming, bad behavior, exhibiting superiority and attempting to confront the Locals with agressive behaviour is not recomended. it works not only in samui but any where in the world.

if you get scamed by a taxi then get the information such as the taxi number call the tourist police and they will sort it out. if you realy want to make the driver problems then complain to the ministry of transportation about it and they will give him enough to think about.

I think one of the bigest dammage to tourism is done right here in our little subforum. any incident is mostly given only the forigner perspective and usualy with flaming anti Thai bashing coments that portey Samui as a bad place and its people as greedy thieves who will take advantage of the forigner at any chance they get.

every violent act, or conflict is described as a"mafia style" by posters, prefab rumours and slander originating form bar talk are exegerated and placed as facts.. :o

newbies on this forum may and are getting a very bad impression of Samui and that is damagng tourism

I beg to differ.

your post is a fine example of how things can quickly become a conflict. instead of adressing the issue you have chosen to address me personaly.

not that I have not done the same to others :o

I was not really making assumptions, merely referring to the information YOU put forward as an excuse for this guys actions. In this post and also in this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135306

...you have accused both tourist parties of abusive behaviour and hinted either that they have deserved their treatment or that they should not complain unless they wish to meet some (unstated) unfortunate event.

As I said in my post, only those that were there really know what happened, but there will NEVER be an excuse to resort to a knife attack to solve a fare dispute - if the guy can run off to get a knife, he can run off to get the police.

Can I suggest a new job for you - Official Spokesperson for Samui Taxi Drivers. Everytime someone posts on TV about being ripped off, you could spring into action and point out what whining, whinging, abusive gits they are!

For my part, I "beg to differ" (interesting expression !) about the "superiority complex" (sic).

In my country of origin, we never use a word like "falang" to designate white (or black, for the matter) skinned foreigner, if one would do so, he/she would be eligible for prison !

And very, very commonly (I do understand a bit of Thaï after those years here and all those years of marriage !), I see that "falangs" like me are too often taken as bait for a ripoff and low-mouthed insults ...

I for sure do not feel like superior here, but instead like being put always in an inferior position, even as I am no more the tourist that I was once 30 years ago.

Hopefully, there are very good people too, of course (for the least) since I married one who I would happily give my life for ...

Edited by MengWan

I beg to differ.

I was not really making assumptions, merely referring to the information YOU put forward as an excuse for this guys actions. In this post and also in this post:

...you have accused both tourist parties of abusive behaviour and hinted either that they have deserved their treatment or that they should not complain unless they wish to meet some (unstated) unfortunate event.

As I said in my post, only those that were there really know what happened, but there will NEVER be an excuse to resort to a knife attack to solve a fare dispute - if the guy can run off to get a knife, he can run off to get the police.

Can I suggest a new job for you - Official Spokesperson for Samui Taxi Drivers. Everytime someone posts on TV about being ripped off, you could spring into action and point out what whining, whinging, abusive gits they are!

Once again instead of debating the issue you decide to debate me... what a wondeful way to start a fight... :D

so I will explain it again just for you.. please read

I did not accuse any one. I was only presenting the other side of the story. and addressing the fact that there is a way to complain with out making it personal or abusive. and that abusive, agressive behavior from a forigner in any country towards local is playing a high risk game. a fact that was not missed by other readers apart from yourself.

defaming a persons name in this country can lead to severe retaliation. that the culture,if you dont like this culture... fo home to your own country.

this culture is also the reason why every one avoids conforntaions and and keep smiling. but once there is a strong confrontation it usualy ends in violence and if you live here or you are just a visitor avoid confronting the locals. for your sake I hope you get it.

"there will Never be an excuse to resolt to Knife."

If and only If the Thai guys version is true then after been beaten up by 4 people that refuse to pay him he gets his knife and evens up is not that hard to understand. not that I agree but I do understand that some are likely to loose temper and resolt to violence.

ther is no reason to use a gun as well, however it is done all the time.

you can debate this untill your ears are blue it will still not change the fact that in this country that has a culture of avoiding confrontations

what you call "fare dispute " if not handled gently can result in violence. so just do go there..

As per your job sugestion...(.once again making it personal) if you look at my posts on the forum that discussed the taxi Rip offs you would have seen that I was the one to advise not to use them until they get a meter. I dont go confronting them or abusing them.. I just dont use the service.

and yes I do belive that 2 sides of the story need to be presented and not only the forigners side which is usualy Thai bashing.

For my part, I "beg to differ" (interesting expression !) about the "superiority complex" (sic).

no its just being polite

In my country of origin, we never use a word like "falang" to designate white (or black, for the matter) skinned foreigner, if one would do so, he/she would be eligible for prison !

wow.. what country do you come from? its realy intresting as nearly every country in the world has a definition for people that look different. but as in your country there are no racist people here a few selections from around the world.

Japan.. Gaigiin,

South america.. Gringo

UK. Pakis

Germany.. shwartez(for balcks) you would not want to know how they call the turks.

and no one goes to jail for it... except maybe in your country please so tell us wht Utopia you came from.

the word Fallang means i thialnd Forigner and if you take it as an insult its says more about your inferiority complex then the Thais.

And very, very commonly (I do understand a bit of Thaï after those years here and all those years of marriage !), I see that "falangs" like me are too often taken as bait for a ripoff and low-mouthed insults ...

so why dont you make an effort to learn Thai more then just a bit and then when they relise that you know it they will treat you differntly.

and this only happens in Thailand??? no other country in the world is trying to ripoff forigeners or bad mouthing them?

please do tell me where you come from its getting realy intresting :o

I for sure do not feel like superior here, but instead like being put always in an inferior position, even as I am no more the tourist that I was once 30 years ago.

Hopefully, there are very good people too, of course (for the least) since I married one who I would happily give my life for ...

there many wonderfull people here. and since i married here is well I agree wit you on this point.

no its just being polite

wow.. what country do you come from? its realy intresting as nearly every country in the world has a definition for people that look different. but as in your country there are no racist people here a few selections from around the world.

Japan.. Gaigiin,

South america.. Gringo

UK. Pakis

Germany.. shwartez(for balcks) you would not want to know how they call the turks.

and no one goes to jail for it... except maybe in your country please so tell us wht Utopia you came from.

the word Fallang means i thialnd Forigner and if you take it as an insult its says more about your inferiority complex then the Thais.

so why dont you make an effort to learn Thai more then just a bit and then when they relise that you know it they will treat you differntly.

and this only happens in Thailand??? no other country in the world is trying to ripoff forigeners or bad mouthing them?

there many wonderfull people here. and since i married here is well I agree wit you on this point.

Most of the words you mentioned relating to ethnicity are seen as derogatory, farang is not.

no its just being polite

Japan.. Gaigiin,

South america.. Gringo

UK. Pakis

Most of the words you mentioned relating to ethnicity are seen as derogatory, farang is not.

totaly right.

that what I said in response to having assumed it was.

fallang is just a forigener as i stated before.

[b]fallang is just a forigener as i stated before.[/b]

In Aus you would get locked up.Foreigner, <deleted>, slant eye...................... you want to go on? Sorry just not the done thing.

I beg to differ.

Once again instead of debating the issue you decide to debate me... what a wondeful way to start a fight... :D

so I will explain it again just for you.. please read

I did not accuse any one. I was only presenting the other side of the story. and addressing the fact that there is a way to complain with out making it personal or abusive. and that abusive, agressive behavior from a forigner in any country towards local is playing a high risk game. a fact that was not missed by other readers apart from yourself.

defaming a persons name in this country can lead to severe retaliation. that the culture,if you dont like this culture... fo home to your own country.

this culture is also the reason why every one avoids conforntaions and and keep smiling. but once there is a strong confrontation it usualy ends in violence and if you live here or you are just a visitor avoid confronting the locals. for your sake I hope you get it.

"there will Never be an excuse to resolt to Knife."

If and only If the Thai guys version is true then after been beaten up by 4 people that refuse to pay him he gets his knife and evens up is not that hard to understand. not that I agree but I do understand that some are likely to loose temper and resolt to violence.

ther is no reason to use a gun as well, however it is done all the time.

you can debate this untill your ears are blue it will still not change the fact that in this country that has a culture of avoiding confrontations

what you call "fare dispute " if not handled gently can result in violence. so just do go there..

As per your job sugestion...(.once again making it personal) if you look at my posts on the forum that discussed the taxi Rip offs you would have seen that I was the one to advise not to use them until they get a meter. I dont go confronting them or abusing them.. I just dont use the service.

and yes I do belive that 2 sides of the story need to be presented and not only the forigners side which is usualy Thai bashing.

Highdiver,

They do have a meter, it's just well hidden.

I rent a Taxi, I get charged per day from the owner. Do I go in agreement with eyes shut? No. These guys have to wake up.Highdiver,you have all the right intentions,but you are preaching to a brick wall.You say you have lived here a long time, Thai citizenship & so on.I know you don't agree with their methods But honestly, besides the ( boycott) from locals, what do you think is an appropriate approach?These guys are with the attitude many more where they come from ( tourists).Mind you, this is not the only attitude from taxi drivers, but quite a few local businesses people.Like you I have lived here several years & once you look below the surface,many have the attitude as taxi drivers.

Do you think double charging exists?Now you have to answer that in an honest manner.YES it does.So really what chance do you have , in dealing on a level playing field? Sure people are going to complain, it's only fair after all.

As a follow up to this story, the driver was arrested earlier today in Nakorn Sri Thamarart. Here is a link to story (in Thai again I am afraid). He confessed to the attack saying he was provoked, etc, etc.......

http://www.matichon.co.th/khaosod/khaosod_...;sectionid=0301

Interesting story. Looks like the guy will be doing some time, not least as states that it is unlawful to carry an offensive weapon in a public place! Also goes on to talk about a clamp down on taxi and tuk tuk drivers, regarding paperwork, I.D. and fingerprints to make them more traceable if things like this happen. Even mentions a clampdown on use of meters! It will be interesting to see if anything comes of that.

As a follow up to this story, the driver was arrested earlier today in Nakorn Sri Thamarart. Here is a link to story (in Thai again I am afraid). He confessed to the attack saying he was provoked, etc, etc.......

Interesting story. Looks like the guy will be doing some time, not least as states that it is unlawful to carry an offensive weapon in a public place! Also goes on to talk about a clamp down on taxi and tuk tuk drivers, regarding paperwork, I.D. and fingerprints to make them more traceable if things like this happen. Even mentions a clampdown on use of meters! It will be interesting to see if anything comes of that.

Finally, the situation about taxi's might seem to be getting better, we can only hope!

meters going on .......that will never happen unless they asign somebody to monitor all taxi's that have people inside and are still displaying the for hire sign on the roof. this has to be one of the most talked about topics by all visitors .somebody in power please sort this well we still have tourists.....

meters going on .......that will never happen unless they asign somebody to monitor all taxi's that have people inside and are still displaying the for hire sign on the roof. this has to be one of the most talked about topics by all visitors .somebody in power please sort this well we still have tourists.....

I am also a liitle sceptical about any changes really happening. I seem to remember not so long ago, a local Thai politician vowing to make changes after even he was ripped off by one of these guys. Nothing really happened though. The problem is that foreign residents and repeat tourists do know about the problem and gewnerally keep away from them, but your average tourist does not get warned and so these things will just continue to happen. As others have said on numerous other threads, if there was a proper metered system like BKK, I am sure all the drivers would make more money and the taxis would be full most of the day.

Maybe it will take a murder before action is really taken to change things. They need to target the people running the taxis, which is normally not the person behind the wheel!

Edited by Charma

I rent a Taxi, I get charged per day from the owner. Do I go in agreement with eyes shut? No. These guys have to wake up.Highdiver,you have all the right intentions,but you are preaching to a brick wall.You say you have lived here a long time, Thai citizenship & so on.I know you don't agree with their methods But honestly, besides the ( boycott) from locals, what do you think is an appropriate approach?These guys are with the attitude many more where they come from ( tourists).Mind you, this is not the only attitude from taxi drivers, but quite a few local businesses people.Like you I have lived here several years & once you look below the surface,many have the attitude as taxi drivers.

Do you think double charging exists?Now you have to answer that in an honest manner.YES it does.So really what chance do you have , in dealing on a level playing field? Sure people are going to complain, it's only fair after all.

Dearest Roo

I totaly agree with what you said.

and for your answers.

Taxi.

i belive the right approach is first of all boycot. anf i advise everyone i know to do it.

you stop a taxi and you ask him to go with a meter.

when he says no meter. say thnk you and dont use the service. if everyone does this for a while the taxi drivers will get the point.

Atitude and pricing

As per attitude of local business man towrds forigners.i would like to show you what it looks like from the other side.

we as forigners have a lot to contribute to this attitude. just look at all the flaming posts on thai visa, I am realy sad that so many tourist as well as long staying fallangs still look a thais as inferior and speak about them or to them in a superior way.

A good thai friend of mine is a manager of a very nice club in chaweng and he stays in his club every night hosting and serving forigners. stting on side line he can hear them speaking about how ######ed up this country is, or how cheap it is to take a Thai lady because all the women in this country are hookers by default. or how all the thai are thieves.... you have been here long enogh to know..i think you get the picture.

now this is not just in one night but in every night of evey week of evey year. how long do you think it will take for him to have a "grudge" against forigners.

how many insults from forigners can a thai take before he or she start to address all forigners with an attiude.

just my 2 sattangs...

I am also a liitle sceptical about any changes really happening. I seem to remember not so long ago, a local Thai politician vowing to make changes after even he was ripped off by one of these guys. Nothing really happened though. The problem is that foreign residents and repeat tourists do know about the problem and gewnerally keep away from them, but your average tourist does not get warned and so these things will just continue to happen. As others have said on numerous other threads, if there was a proper metered system like BKK, I am sure all the drivers would make more money and the taxis would be full most of the day.

Maybe it will take a murder before action is really taken to change things. They need to target the people running the taxis, which is normally not the person behind the wheel!

on this one I totaly 100% agree with you. :o

the best way is for That politician who made the vow(Samui NaAmpur) to follow up on this point. and ask the Samui tourist board to complaine to the ministry of transportation.

unfortunatly BKK is suffering the same type of problem specialy in rush hours or very late night hours.

i spoke with a friend from the local police about this and he said that the driver storry sounded different.

How come the driver's story was so well known to your police friend since they had no idea even where he was?

he took the tourist to the hotel afte they agreed on the price and when they got there the tourists try to make a run with out paying him. he then confronted them and had a fight. at some point 2 others joined in and he was taking a beating from them.

he then reurned to the car got a knife and went to close the deal... 1 thai against 4 tourists.

"Close the deal", exactly. Even if he was in the right (and it appears he wasn't) he was being beaten "so badly" by 4 tourists that he easily managed to get back in the car (and could have driven away at this point or gone to call the police), get the knife and almost kill those 4 dangerous tourists.

He was beaten so bad that he comfortably spent the night in a hotel while his "attackers" were having blood transfusions having had to be MEDEVACed to a Bangkok hospital...

I guess the reason it is not headlined is that it has nothing to do with tourists its got to do with 4 idiots that tried to scam a thai and suffered the consequeces.

Are you warning your visiting "farang" friends that in Thailand the penalty for arguing with a Thai (no matter who is in the right) is death?

BS, farang is a slangish term which wouldn't be condoned in the West.

Real, proper Thai terms are:

Foreigner = kon taang-chat

Westerner = kon tawan-tok

Tourist = nak-ton-tiao

It's clear you aren't used to hear them, highdiver... I wonder why.

Edited by BAF

There are A LOT of taxis on Samui, maybe 500, some cabs even dont have a number, means there are not registered.

The first mistake is from the local administration who didnt limit the number of registered taxis (corruption?) early enough.

The mentionned cab driver had to pay 18K rent to the owner: With one day off a week he pays 700 B a day. Let him drive 200 km up and down Maenam-Chaweng-Lamai looking for customers and let him keep little money for maintenance: Mor 800 B a day. So he has to spent a total of 1.500 B a day..

This may work in the peak season but it is impossible to make profits during the year.

@Highdiver

Forget about your poor thai friend who has to hear "bad words" about his country. You want to blame the bar scene in Chaweng because there is a bar scene?

Tourist = nak-ton-tiao

P.S. And "farang" isn't a slang term for "foreigner" anyway. It refers to a RACE (Caucasian). Foreigners of other races are called with other race-based terms, they aren't called "farangs".

Edited by BAF

i spoke with a friend from the local police about this and he said that the driver storry sounded different.

How come the driver's story was so well known to your police friend since they had no idea even where he was?

According to my friend from the police. the detectives spoke with him the day after. As the Thai guys side of the story has been repeted by other members who heard it from thais. I guess that is whatthey see as the thai side of this story.

he took the tourist to the hotel afte they agreed on the price and when they got there the tourists try to make a run with out paying him. he then confronted them and had a fight. at some point 2 others joined in and he was taking a beating from them.

he then reurned to the car got a knife and went to close the deal... 1 thai against 4 tourists.

"Close the deal", exactly. Even if he was in the right (and it appears he wasn't) he was being beaten "so badly" by 4 tourists that he easily managed to get back in the car (and could have driven away at this point or gone to call the police), get the knife and almost kill those 4 dangerous tourists.

He was beaten so bad that he comfortably spent the night in a hotel while his "attackers" were having blood transfusions having had to be MEDEVACed to a Bangkok hospital...

Exactly if you are stupid enough to get into a fight with a Thai you find yourself stabbed and hospitalised..

I guess the reason it is not headlined is that it has nothing to do with tourists its got to do with 4 idiots that tried to scam a thai and suffered the consequeces.

Are you warning your visiting "farang" friends that in Thailand the penalty for arguing with a Thai (no matter who is in the right) is death?

No .. you seem to take it to extremes and that is exactly what warn people of.

you can argue as much as you want but to get into a fight with the locals is stupid and useless as you will allways loose.

and its for all the world not just in Samui.

the discussion was if fallang is used a derogatory term and not if fallang is the proper word in Thai.

however Fallang. has and is been used as a term to describe white forigners and even appears in the dicitionery.

depends where you studied thai. at home with your wife or in a proper school.

Foreigner = kon taang-chat that is stranger not forigner

Foreigner = khohn farang, or chaao dtaang bpra thaeht,

Westerner = kon tawan-tok that means people from west, dtawang dtok means west not westerner

Westerner = farang mang khaa

Tourist = nak-ton-tiao its not Ton its thaawng

Tourist = nak thaawng thiaao

Dear BAF I'm glad to see you're not letting your education get in the way of your ignorance :o

Tourist = nak-ton-tiao

P.S. And "farang" isn't a slang term for "foreigner" anyway. It refers to a RACE (Caucasian). Foreigners of other races are called with other race-based terms, they aren't called "farangs".

If what you don't know can't hurt you, you,re practically invulnerable.

i spoke with a friend from the local police about this and he said that the driver storry sounded different

Heard the same from Thai taxi drivers friends.

...has been postd already... of course will HIS story be different - ever heard/seen some perpetrator who claimed guilty in the first instance?

in the long run things will change... if business suffers, people will start looking into the reasons why...

The Thai reputation for mercurial temperament is richly deserved, probably as much as their apparent unwillingness to accept responsibility for the consequences when such behaviour lurches into stupid violence. Still, it is their way after all and I suppose every young falang tourist should understand that unlike in their own countries, with the possible exception of the USA which is a separate case, minor contretemps here can escalate fatally irregardless of culpability.

If it were not for the timely intervention of my wife, I too may have been fodder for the songthiaw driver at whom I had scoffed volubly when he sought to extract 300bt for a journey 'twixt Chaweng and Bophut. Doubtless, the partisan Highdiver would have deemed such culturally offensive behaviour on my part to be worthy of a good slashing or perhaps just minor flesh wounds would have sufficed ?

The Thai reputation for mercurial temperament is richly deserved, probably as much as their apparent unwillingness to accept responsibility for the consequences when such behaviour lurches into stupid violence. Still, it is their way after all and I suppose every young falang tourist should understand that unlike in their own countries, with the possible exception of the USA which is a separate case, minor contretemps here can escalate fatally irregardless of culpability.

If it were not for the timely intervention of my wife, I too may have been fodder for the songthiaw driver at whom I had scoffed volubly when he sought to extract 300bt for a journey 'twixt Chaweng and Bophut. Doubtless, the partisan Highdiver would have deemed such culturally offensive behaviour on my part to be worthy of a good slashing or perhaps just minor flesh wounds would have sufficed ?

Nice wordsmithing the gent. Always a pleasure to read on this forum of sound bites.