Bangkok Will Be Greener

george

Bangkok will be greener

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has planned to raise green space in the capital to four square meters per resident by next year.

Since 2005, BMA has added 750 rai of green space to Bangkok.

BMA has also encouraged people to plant 1,000,000 trees on August 12 every year.

-- The Nation 2007-08-12

asking people to plant trees, instead of planting them by the authorities, is just giving up responsibility of an coordinated, planned development of the green areas. Young trees, after planting them, do need shading from the direct sunlight as well as daily watering - they will go to waste if not cared for. And August, altough usually wet, is too hot.

the grandiose projects of the beaurocrats look nice on the paper - but are just not practical.

It sounds like it is an annual event where they encourage the planting but I bet plenty of organization is involved to make this happen. So, I guess they should just not even try and make policies to improve the city?

Any extra green is most welcome but the BMA giving away seedlings to apartment-bound city dwellers and telling people to plant trees is impratical and does not focus on meaningful long term strategies. But they leverage the PR pretty hard.

I guess, at least they are doing something, and they are raising awareness on climate change etc which is positive. Slowly slowly...